U losses and court cases abound, but where's embarrassment?

govikesgo

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/70588722.html?elr=KArks47cQiU47cQiU47cQUU

Some Unfair shots at Brewster by Souhan

Football coach Tim Brewster lost to a bad Illinois team at home, promised his boys would be ready for the South Dakota State Jackrabbits, required charitable contributions to beat the hated Jackrabbits, claimed any victory is a good victory, celebrated the Iowa bus trip that will include a potty break/cornfield walkabout and misremembered that his Illinois team lost to Iowa when he played at Kinnick Stadium.

Brewster is responsible for dismissing heralded offensive coordinator Mike Dunbar and replacing him with the unaccomplished Jedd Fisch, damaging his program, his job security and the career arc of his talented quarterback. Instead of mea culpas or realism, what we get from Brewster is vows to be ready for those Jackrabbits and odes to Iowa tourism.

He does not seem the least bit embarrassed.

The article also said that Brewster dismissed Dunbar without his consent(which has been reported already) and also berated Maturi in front of gopher players. Not a good way to get a contract extension or vote of confidence.

What a unique thesis by Souhan. I guess they hadn't taken shots at the U in a few hours so we were due, of course.

I imagine that the Wolves and Wild are doing too well to get in the way of the daily rip fest.

Go Gophers!!

Someone needs to start complaining about the Wild and Timberwolves sucking instead of the student athletes who are .500. I'm sick of this. Is it better for everyone if we just admit we suck, and we will probably suck in the future, like the Wolves say? I think it's something to the effect of "We know we've made mistakes in the past, and we probably will in the future." Or "we're re-re-re-re-re-re-re-rebuilding."

The gophers are currently an extremely easy target for negative media jackals. There's not alot of winning going on, off the field stuff has sprung up, and not alot of media types in the "know" to protect their sources.
So they can just berate and rip all they want without fear of being exposed for really crappy journalists. Wait til Tubby starts winning, they'll move on and to their other annual punching bags of Twins not spending anything in the offseason, Timberwolves sucking, Wild underachieving, and Vikings choking in the playoffs.
Honestly, it's really sad how predictable all the writers and radio folks are around the cities. You want to talk about not putting out any quality product? Check out the Strib/KFAN/PP and the obvious lack of anything with substance.

The bigger issue though is that people actually feed this crap with their cynical attitudes. Some moron called in to Barerrio last night and said something like this:
"I got tickets to TCF for the opening season(not a gopher fan, just wanted to go to the new stadium), I went back and forth about Brewster(No you didn't, you wanted to watch undefeated football at in your new seats, and now your mad because the team went .500 like they were expected to), but after hearing his postgame comments after SDSU, he's gotta go(You really honestly expected him to rip and berate his coaches and players publicly after a win? What would that accomplish? If he did you'd be all over him for passing the blame)
now, I'm also a U of Washington fan(Again, not a gopher fan), and our program actually found a coach we've won 3 games and upset USC(Wow congrats, you have first year coach who pulled the annual winning USC choke on the road in the PAC10 ticket), we're really putting it together up there." Remains to be seen, as does the success of Brewster

RE: Where's the embarrassment?

LOL - I think if Souhan wants to talk about embarrassment, how about starting with
the TimberWolves? Outside of about two years, that has been like watching an expansion
team for 20 years straight!!! And this team right now is probably even worse than their
inaugural team 20 years ago. How could a team be that bad for that long! Oh yeah, I
forgot, the ping pong balls didn't go their way. Any league that decides who their top
pick goes to with ping pong balls is a joke right there......you could talk for HOURS
about how embarrassing that team is and has been.

Oh and what about the Wild? Yeah, it's pretty embarrassing when your owners max out
the ticket prices to one of the highest in the league, say "oh we are going to build slowly
and not have any high priced free agents" and have one of the lowest payrolls for years.
Finally when you DO get a marquee player, he leaves, the coach leaves and you are left
with a bottom 5 team again. This isn't an expansion team anymore but you sure would
think so.

My point is there are plenty of places you could go if you want to talk embarrassments.
I am sure all the transplanted Iowa and Wisconsin fans that live here eat all that stuff
up though. If you want to talk about everyone's dirty laundry though, why don't we
ever hear about any of the other teams around here - there's plenty to go around
if you want to go there.

Of course if you're truly seeking embarrassing organizations, Souhan would start with his employer. Very transparent drive to sell papers via sensationalistic columns. Does any columnist at the Strib actually believe what they write? Note that Souhan's tone moderates significantly when he guests on Rosen's show. Still makes similar points but in far more mature ways. Ignore him.

I am shocked it took so long for this article to get posted on here. IMO, this was maybe the worst, most pathetic piece of journalism I have seen out of that paper yet. Beyond Reusse even. And I generally don't mind Souhan. This was such a complete waste of space. What does he want them to do. Cry in front of a microphone and literally utter the words, "I'm so embarrassed"? Really? Because that's all he basically said. I'm sure that would go over well too.

The columnists at that paper are terrible. Just terrible. I can't believe people defend Reusse. It has nothing to do with his opinion on sports. His writing is godawful and generally contains no point. It has been this way for close to a decade now. He either rambles and rambles before ever getting to something resembling a point, or he eventually just drifts off and you are left to wonder what you just read.

Brewster is responsible for dismissing heralded offensive coordinator Mike Dunbar

Does anyone find the adjective "heralded" to be a bit over the top? Wasn't Dunbar also run out of Berkley by Tedford for the same reasons (rigidity in his system and playing calling) that Brewster got rid of him?

Does anyone find the adjective "heralded" to be a bit over the top? Wasn't Dunbar also run out of Berkley by Tedford for the same reasons (rigidity in his system and playing calling) that Brewster got rid of him?

We were spoonfed to call him a "genius" - there were a number of articles shortly after his hire and into the first set of practices where coaches and players alike referred to Dunbar as an "offensive genius" - a mad scientist of sorts who had a playbook the size of War and Peace.

Go Gophers!!

I generally don't mind Souhan.

I'm right there with you. I usually think Souhan is fairly creative and ambitious in his writing (unlike Reusse who's better days were 25 years ago). I even laughed pretty hard at Souhan's "The Drive" column after last week's SDSU game (and I'm a diehard Gopher). But, this piece that he wrote here is total garbage. A completely unnecessary cheap shot.

I am shocked it took so long for this article to get posted on here. IMO, this was maybe the worst, most pathetic piece of journalism I have seen out of that paper yet. Beyond Reusse even. And I generally don't mind Souhan. This was such a complete waste of space. What does he want them to do. Cry in front of a microphone and literally utter the words, "I'm so embarrassed"? Really? Because that's all he basically said. I'm sure that would go over well too.

The columnists at that paper are terrible. Just terrible. I can't believe people defend Reusse. It has nothing to do with his opinion on sports. His writing is godawful and generally contains no point. It has been this way for close to a decade now. He either rambles and rambles before ever getting to something resembling a point, or he eventually just drifts off and you are left to wonder what you just read.

This article is like a fox demanding that the chicken roll itself in barbeque sauce. The attacks would instantly double if the U did what he wanted and started self-flaggelating and abasing itself to the sports section of the Strib. Someone's got to put the best face forward for the U, the media sure isn't going to do it! The media attacks the U enough, the U doesn't need to help them do it.

The strib is just plain embarrasing these days. They deserve the slow painful death fate has brought them.

And I've always believed souhan was kinda crappy as a writer. Often makes an opening statement that has nothing to do with his conclusion. Often times the conclusion looks like an after thought. I usually find myself rereading his articles to try and find the train of thought that created the conclusion, and usually I'm just left with a wtf, how does this guy have this job thought in my head.

People really don't find any embarrassment in the program right now? I went to the U as the only school I applied to, have had football tickets for 15 years, and had basketball and hockey tickets while I was in school. I'm not calling for any firings this year, but the off the field stuff is starting to add up.

Win and it will go away. Lose and it will continue to escalate. Stop deflecting to other teams and programs. Who really cares if WI, IA, and other teams have issues. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard.

People really don't find any embarrassment in the program right now? I went to the U as the only school I applied to, have had football tickets for 15 years, and had basketball and hockey tickets while I was in school. I'm not calling for any firings this year, but the off the field stuff is starting to add up.

Win and it will go away. Lose and it will continue to escalate. Stop deflecting to other teams and programs. Who really cares if WI, IA, and other teams have issues. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard.

I think that is the problem we're having with the strib. We do have a higher standard and we are living up to it. Perfection hasn't been accomplished anywhere, and our infractions are incredibly minor compared to what we see elsewhere.

The infractions we're dealing with are all by freshmen. It's a reflection on what they brought to the programs as young men, not on how the program has affected these young men. If they were upper classmen doing this crap we'd have to wonder. All we know is that the athletic department has a tremendous opportunity to make a great difference in the lives of some young men, and hopefully they're up to the challenge. The story, is four years from now.

I think that is the problem we're having with the strib. We do have a higher standard and we are living up to it. Perfection hasn't been accomplished anywhere, and our infractions are incredibly minor compared to what we see elsewhere.

The infractions we're dealing with are all by freshmen. It's a reflection on what they brought to the programs as young men, not on how the program has affected these young men. If they were upper classmen doing this crap we'd have to wonder. All we know is that the athletic department has a tremendous opportunity to make a great difference in the lives of some young men, and hopefully they're up to the challenge. The story, is four years from now.

I don't disagree with your angle.

If this team was winning, players would be more focused and less likely to be causing problems.

The article also said that Brewster dismissed Dunbar without his consent(which has been reported already) and also berated Maturi in front of gopher players. Not a good way to get a contract extension or vote of confidence.

Well if someone from the media said it, it must be true!

Both points may actually be true, but this article hardly proves it.

McKinley is a senior and Dandridge is a sophomore.

Go Gophers!!

I don't disagree with your angle.

If this team was winning, players would be more focused and less likely to be causing problems.

Yeah because programs like Florida never have players getting in trouble.

Well if someone from the media said it, it must be true!

Both points may actually be true, but this article hardly proves it.

Will people ever understand the difference between a column and an article? If you don't want much opinion just stick with the beat writers. The rest are all trying to be entertainment.

Will people ever understand the difference between a column and an article? If you don't want much opinion just stick with the beat writers. The rest are all trying to be entertainment.

That's exactly what I was trying to point out. GopherGod made it sound like those two things were fact when they are just hearsay.

So we don't know. Was Dandridge suspended? I know McKinley was. And of course nobody knows why McKinley was suspended. They only assume it was due to the ninja/2X4 exhibition because it occured after that week. For all we know it could be team rules related or academics. We don't know. so while the strib in their inmate run asylum is trying to sell the notion that the U sports administration is fostering an environment that condones and allows thuggery, the truth of the matter is that freshmen come in with baggage and the U has done very well at producing good young men and women out of the athletic programs. Irresponsible reporting, nothing more, nothing less.

Was Whaley suspended also?

the rumor was he was sat down for two games - top secret.

True. We shouldn't have to deflect to other teams. It does suck that bad things are happening at the U. But it just illustrates their vendetta against the U, that there are two far more embarrassing products being pedeled to us as sports fans in the same city, and the Star Tribune will continually only bash on the Gophers. I'm sure there have been some articles about the Wild and Wolves, but not to this extreme or frequency.

Seriously though, I accidentally watched a whole Timberwolves game this year. I hope the rest of you don't have the same misfortune. They could fill encyclopedias with trash articles about this team. We've won 1 game, on a last second shot to beat the Nets, who have won 0 games this year. We also have a 41 point loss under our belt to Golden State 105-146. We've currently lost 7 games in a row by 10 points or more. Averaging a loss of 14 points per game, easily the worst in the league.

And yet everyday there is an article by someone about the terrible Gophers.

I thought it was a good article. Anyone here happy with where the hockey program is right now?

Can anyone argue that the Gophers have played great football the last two weeks?

I can't wait to read the article about how the Gophers have failed as a football program, if they ever get to the Rose Bowl and lose. And even if they get to the Rose Bowl and win, there will likley be Souhan and Reusse hand-wringing that they didn't win a national title. These guys just live to tear down the U. No other Big Ten school has to put up with the semi-weekly kick in the teeth these two knuckleheads try to deliver.

I'd love to ask them flat out what kind of season would satisfy them for 2010, given our current situation.

Top Bottom