U Game Minimal Payday for Aggies, Kill

I would assume there would be some quid-pro-quo, Colorado paid the Gophers when they went to Boulder and Minnesota will pay the Buffalos when they come to Minneapolis.
A home-and-home is a (single) contract. You agree to play both games when you sign it.

Otherwise, you have to buy out of the contract to not play the second game. (Or cancel both games .... which racking my brain ... I think we did in the early Kill era to get out of games vs North Carolina??)

Of course, it's not impossible to sign two separate contracts for one-off games, in back-to-back years, with each side paying the other. It would just be silly to do that.

I highly doubt this was anything other than a single home-and-home contract, with no payment to either school. I think Shama is just a dink who gets crap wrong all the time and would never admit it.

For that matter, I think it's unlikely that the $250k number he's reporting is correct, either.

It seems very far fetched that NMSU agreed to such a number when FCS schools routinely get $400k+ to play one-off games. FBS schools usually command much more for such games, because they're seen as "more worthy" wins.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if NMSU and W ILL are each getting $450k this year, and the CU home-and-home was no payment.

OR I could see it being a type and it was supposed to be $1.25M to NMSU this year.

Last edited:

A home-and-home is a (single) contract. You agree to play both games when you sign it.

Otherwise, you have to buy out of the contract to not play the second game. (Or cancel both games .... which racking my brain ... I think we did in the early Kill era to get out of games vs North Carolina??)

Of course, it's not impossible to sign two separate contracts for one-off games, in back-to-back years, with each side paying the other. It would just be silly to do that.

I highly doubt this was anything other than a single home-and-home contract, with no payment to either school. I think Shama is just a dink who gets crap wrong all the time and would never admit it.
The Gophers did have to pay a buy out to NC to get out of that contract. They recouped some of it when they did a home-and-home with TCU. As I recall, the Minnesota got more for going to TCU then the Frogs got for playing in TCF. Probably on this forum somewhere.

I just don't think it's as simple as "we play there, you play here...even stevens." Different stadium capacities, road tickets, strength of schedules needs, TV rights, scheduling openings, annual budgets, protection if a game gets cancelled due to weather, health crisis, or world tragedy, all stuff that needs to be negotiated. The bargaining power may be different for each school. I don't think a home-and-home with Colorado-Minnesota would have the same terms as Colorado-Ohio St per se. I would expect the Buckeyes to dole out more than the Gophers.

For that matter, I think it's unlikely that the $250k number he's reporting is correct, either.

It seems very far fetched that NMSU agreed to such a number when FCS schools routinely get $400k+ to play one-off games. FBS schools usually command much more for such games, because they're seen as "more worthy" wins.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if NMSU and W ILL are each getting $450k this year, and the CU home-and-home was no payment.

OR I could see it being a type and it was supposed to be $1.25M to NMSU this year.
$250,000 is paltry now, but when this was scheduled in 2014 not as bad plus as others have indicated it was a 2 for 1 deal.

The Gophers did have to pay a buy out to NC to get out of that contract. They recouped some of it when they did a home-and-home with TCU. As I recall, the Minnesota got more for going to TCU then the Frogs got for playing in TCF. Probably on this forum somewhere.

I just don't think it's as simple as "we play there, you play here...even stevens." Different stadium capacities, road tickets, strength of schedules needs, TV rights, scheduling openings, annual budgets, protection if a game gets cancelled due to weather, health crisis, or world tragedy, all stuff that needs to be negotiated. The bargaining power may be different for each school. I don't think a home-and-home with Colorado-Minnesota would have the same terms as Colorado-Ohio St per se. I would expect the Buckeyes to dole out more than the Gophers.

$250,000 is paltry now, but when this was scheduled in 2014 not as bad plus as others have indicated it was a 2 for 1 deal.
Very good points, especially about NM scheduling it in 2014.

I believe the WAC dropped football after 2012 and Idaho and NMSU were the two who couldn't get picked up anywhere so were forced to be FBS independents. Idaho eventually gave up and went back down to the Big Sky, but NMS stuck it out.

So, they could've been desperate to sign deals for games, back then.

I've never heard of a home-and-home that wasn't "even steven" as you put it, but of course that doesn't prove anything. Maybe the normal thing now is to do payments on each end, for the reasons you've given. Fair enough

IF we are indeed paying CU $450k for this game, I would be interested to know:
- what they paid us for the game last year
- what were the payments like, if any, for the home-and-home with Colorado State a few years ago (2015 in FC, 2016 here)

Home and homes would usually have a buy-out much larger than $450k. Otherwise, Colorado could just pay that buyout and essentially get a free home game against Minnesota.

If the $450k is paid, it's almost certainly meant as travel reimbursement and Minnesota received a similar amount last year.

Also, most home and homes are "even steven" from my experience. Teams keep their own ticket revenue so you don't have to worry about splitting revenue 50/50. If you sell more tickets, you make more money.

It's been 9 years since that infamous telecast from Las Cruces and we are still talking about it - would say that Aggie Vision has given this board more fodder for a good chuckle or two than any other non-conference football game in the history of GopherHole.

Top Bottom