U: First person you think of when you see this picture? (The Barn)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
For me it's easy: my Dad. I went to hundreds of Gopher games with my Dad in The Barn. He gave me my passion for the Gophers, he sacrificed for us to have season tickets, attend road games together, Final Four, etc. I think of him literally every time I step in The Barn and wish he was still here today. He always told us he was the "self-proclaimed loudest clapper in Williams Arena" and for me at least, it's definitely quieter with him not in there (that may also have something to do with the fact ticket sales are much lower than they were when he was here!).

What about others, who is the first person you think of?

As an aside, I find it odd that the U chose such an old picture. No doubt my Dad was at this game and maybe the U hates the new floor, but look at that scoreboard?!

Go Gophers!!

If this is just a generic photo of Williams , I think of Mychal Thompson. And my view blocked by the steel beams back in the day. But for some of those teams, the crappy view was worth the sound and the environment!! Great Times!!

For me it's easy: my Dad. I went to hundreds of Gopher games with my Dad in The Barn. He gave me my passion for the Gophers, he sacrificed for us to have season tickets, attend road games together, Final Four, etc. I think of him literally every time I step in The Barn and wish he was still here today. He always told us he was the "self-proclaimed loudest clapper in Williams Arena" and for me at least, it's definitely quieter with him not in there (that may also have something to do with the fact ticket sales are much lower than they were when he was here!).

What about others, who is the first person you think of?

As an aside, I find it odd that the U chose such an old picture. No doubt my Dad was at this game and maybe the U hates the new floor, but look at that scoreboard?!

Go Gophers!!
Love your easy answer, Bleed. Me too. Even though I only took him to Williams a few times. #DAD

BTW - I hate the new floor.

This brings a tear. Always my dad. The original Lefty. He used to get me out of school to go to the state tournament, plus many a Gopher game. Most vividly remember Lou Hudson scoring 20+ against Illinois with his right arm in a cast. Made me choose number 14 as a player.

If this is just a generic photo of Williams , I think of Mychal Thompson. And my view blocked by the steel beams back in the day. But for some of those teams, the crappy view was worth the sound and the environment!! Great Times!!
He is the first I thought of also. I think the Thompson, Saunders, McHale, Williams era was the greatest era of Minnesota basketball. Unfortunately ruined by violations. I did get to witness it live.

Whoever it was that made the decision to paint the floor white. :mad:

Though I wasn’t old enough to have any memory of Clem’s teams that’s who first pops into mind. First thought is some of those old clips you see of him pumping his fist to the the crowd.

I have a picture in my head of my Dad laughing at the look of shock on my face after Trent Tucker would drain a jumper from further away than anyone I'd ever seen (for 2 points).

Such a great post. For me it is a top 100 sports venue. Bring us a championship !

For some reason Dave Winfield popped into my head. I’ll never forget seeing him on that colored court.

By the way, been a lurker on here for years. Just joined. Grew up in St. Paul, attended untold number of Gopher football, basketball, hockey and baseball games as a youth and young adult. Now live in Delaware.

Ray Christensen. My first memories of Gopher basketball were listening to our transistor radio in the early 70's in the basement and hearing Ray call the game as only he could. Behagen, Brewer, Taylor, Thompson, etc.

Mychal Thompson and Ray Williams are fondest memories as players to watch, but I think of my bud Dick (Duck) and how one time in school UM in 70s we sat in nosebleed seats, had snuck in a couple brews, only guy up there squealed on us, and we got tossed out by staff. Priceless.

From that view I have to say a couple college co-workers. ‘88-89 they always heard me talk about how much I loved the Barn (and UM b-ball). I talked them into joining me for the Iowa game (#5). Willie Burton and Melvin Newbern were great in the win and the Barn was rocking.

Nose bleed seats again a couple weeks later when #1 and undefeated Illinois came to town. I swear the building was shaking during the last five minutes. My favorite game ever. Huge milestone after the Madison disaster/stain four years prior.

Oddly Mychal Thompson was my pick as well. One of the few games I saw in person in the 70's (I had no money) Mychal made Iowa look like they failed to get off the bus.

Ray Christensen. My first memories of Gopher basketball were listening to our transistor radio in the early 70's in the basement and hearing Ray call the game as only he could. Behagen, Brewer, Taylor, Thompson, etc.
This is a good one too. Even before my dad took me to games, it was Ray on WLOL. Ron Johnson, Ray Cronk, Eric Mangdanz, Bill Davis, Mel Northway....

Randy Breuer, tall and gangly and unathletic, but also really good.

Lewis Lloyd from Drake. My first game at barn and liked his alliterative name. For Gophers, I didn’t see them live, but the 78 team with Thompson, McHale, Lockhart, Williams, Saunders, Winey.

Randy Breuer, tall and gangly and unathletic, but also really good.
My serious answer was going to be Breuer as well. I still can picture him running out to contest jump shots. I imagine he was a bothersome figure running at a shooter with that frame.

Top Bottom