Tyus leaving Florida

It makes you wonder what Billy Donovan's future is. He may regret passing up the NBA and Kentucky to stay at Florida.

Interesting response on Jeff Goodman's <a href="http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2009/04/17/TYUS_TRANSFERRING_MEMPHIS_HIRES_A_PAIR" target="blank" >blog</a> about Tyus leaving-seems to look at a 12 and 6 guy leaving rather cavalierly-true Florida might not have made the tournament without him, but seems that it won't be easier when unexpectedly losing your 2nd leading scorer and leading rebounder. Plus, Tyus probably would have not been relied upon as much in the paint with Georgetown transfer Vernon Macklin becoming eligible.

Here's what I posted on the last ramble I wrote a couple weeks ago:
• Remember Billy Donovan before leading the Florida Gators to back to back national titles? He had gained the reputation of great recruiter and an underachiever in March with early tournament exits year after year. The national championships seemingly removed that label, but you know, the upcoming season will be interesting for Billy D. Just three years removed from the national titles, the tolerance for NIT appearances will likely have dissipated. The quality of coaching appears to be flowing upwards in the SEC east, conspicuously at Kentucky, the job Donovan turned down at least once. And while one of the top prep prizes in the nation is coming on board in point guard Kenny Boynton and Florida also welcomes Georgetown transfer Vernon Macklin into the fold, he’s at risk of losing his top player to the NBA draft. I’m thinking that Donovan is really hoping that Nick Calathes decides to bring his 6’6” multi-skilled presence back to Gainesville for his junior season.

The return of Calathes seems to loom even larger now, especially with John Calipari at Kentucky. In fact, relative to his team's performance, Calathes might be the most important player testing the waters in the NBA draft. (hmm. . .I think I've got a new idea for a post) The heat seems to definitely be rising in Gainesville.

On another note, Donovan also hired Rick Pitino's son, Richard, as an assistant. Guess Pops wanted son to gain some experience away from his shadow.

Interesting response on Jeff Goodman's <a href="http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2009/04/17/TYUS_TRANSFERRING_MEMPHIS_HIRES_A_PAIR" target="blank" >blog</a> about Tyus leaving-seems to look at a 12 and 6 guy leaving rather cavalierly-true Florida might not have made the tournament without him, but seems that it won't be easier when unexpectedly losing your 2nd leading scorer and leading rebounder. Plus, Tyus probably would have not been relied upon as much in the paint with Georgetown transfer Vernon Macklin becoming eligible.

Here's what I posted on the last ramble I wrote a couple weeks ago:
• Remember Billy Donovan before leading the Florida Gators to back to back national titles? He had gained the reputation of great recruiter and an underachiever in March with early tournament exits year after year. The national championships seemingly removed that label, but you know, the upcoming season will be interesting for Billy D. Just three years removed from the national titles, the tolerance for NIT appearances will likely have dissipated. The quality of coaching appears to be flowing upwards in the SEC east, conspicuously at Kentucky, the job Donovan turned down at least once. And while one of the top prep prizes in the nation is coming on board in point guard Kenny Boynton and Florida also welcomes Georgetown transfer Vernon Macklin into the fold, he’s at risk of losing his top player to the NBA draft. I’m thinking that Donovan is really hoping that Nick Calathes decides to bring his 6’6” multi-skilled presence back to Gainesville for his junior season.

The return of Calathes seems to loom even larger now, especially with John Calipari at Kentucky. In fact, relative to his team's performance, Calathes might be the most important player testing the waters in the NBA draft. (hmm. . .I think I've got a new idea for a post) The heat seems to definitely be rising in Gainesville.

On another note, Donovan also hired Rick Pitino's son, Richard, as an assistant. Guess Pops wanted son to gain some experience away from his shadow.

First, I think if it was up to him, Billy D would have gone to Orlando two years ago and Kentucky now. Rumor has it that Mrs. Billy called the shots and didn't want to move. I sense he's sort of burned out now and just coasting. Tyus transferred suddenly, Jai Lucas suddenly, there's obviously some issue with his relations to some of the players.

All that being said the 'heat' isn't really going to be turned up on him for a few more years. Lest we forget what a complete and total football school UF is. Unless he starts cranking out losing records there will be no real heat on him. He won two national championships and even now they are at least a competative bubble team every year. I don't think UF is so arrogant as to think that's not good enough for them anymore.

All that being said the 'heat' isn't really going to be turned up on him for a few more years. Lest we forget what a complete and total football school UF is. Unless he starts cranking out losing records there will be no real heat on him. He won two national championships and even now they are at least a competative bubble team every year. I don't think UF is so arrogant as to think that's not good enough for them anymore.[/QUOTE]

Good point, Florida had very little basketball tradition before Donovan got there. They shouldn't forget that.

When I spoke of "heat" I was referring more to the national and SEC media, rather than anyone in Florida. As you've both said, there's not a huge basketball tradition in Gainesville and the two national titles should carry him plenty. Plus, I've heard his relationship with the Florida AD is extremely good. But I do think question marks will start to come to emerge on the national scene, especially if Calipari starts off like gang busters in Lexington.

Top Bottom