Tyren Hills no longer a commit

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
No longer listed by GI as holding an offer from Minnesota.

No longer listed by GI as holding an offer from Minnesota.

isn't holding an offer from a school and being a commit two completely different things? don't you have to have an actual offer from a school to be a commit and or decommit from a school? me so confused.

I wonder if instances like this are the reason Kill said a couple of weeks back that the commit list he was shown by someone wasn't necessarily accurate.

Hills had a contingent offer which, as I understand it, was pulled for a low ACT score. A low ACT, combined with the state of the school systems in eastern Louisiana, make for a big academic risk. That is the reason why, Louisiana is under recruited, despite producing more NFL talent per capita then any other state.

It bodes well on the staff that we are catching players early that are not likely to qualify. It seems that in the past every year we've had at least one player who shows up to camp in August but never makes it on the field for academic reasons.

It bodes well on the staff that we are catching players early that are not likely to qualify. It seems that in the past every year we've had at least one player who shows up to camp in August but never makes it on the field for academic reasons.
It's good, but that comes with the territory no matter how proactive you are. Remember that there were two guys (Quentin Gardener and Drayquan Crawford) who never made it here last year after signing on signing day.

Agreed, we'll see what happens this year. Is it possible those two guys fell through the cracks because the staff hadn't even been here for 2 months?

Agree. It's not about kids simply not qualifying (and then being forced to shuffle to fill up the class), to me it's as much about getting kids on board who are not academic risks after they've qualified. We've had too many kids fall out of the program over the past decade or two and that has to stop.

Coach Kill and his staff seems to understand the U and whats needed to graduate. A smart student can graduate, even if he was poorly prepared, through hard work. An average student, thats well prepared, can graduate with hard work. An average student, that's poorly prepared, probably flunks out. I suspect that Hills fell into the latter catagory, he may even have qualified, put the staff pulled the offer because of the academic risk.

Agreed, we'll see what happens this year. Is it possible those two guys fell through the cracks because the staff hadn't even been here for 2 months?
Sure. In fact I'd say it's likely that they took a few chances since they were already behind the eight ball on recruiting.

Sometimes you have to take academic risks; even the top programs do it. I think Kill and co. made the right call here, however. We were Hills' only BCS offer, so if he's also an academic risk, I think it's clear there are better options (as seen by our recent visits)

Top Bottom