Tyrell Terry retires from Basketball at age 22

Yeah, I wasn't mocking this post. I was mocking his instragram post that is in the link from the original posting. This tweet is not what I was mocking, I was mocking the time and space and black hole stuff.
I think he must have edited the caption, since the post I see in the link on the original posting contains that same caption from the tweet.

Regardless, miscommunication, and we were talking about two different things.

I mean, it is an inarguable fact that degrees from certain schools set you up for a higher likelihood of greater success, and yet people still futilely try to argue the other side of it (kind of like the endless recruiting rankings arguments around here, I guess). Bob and other resident attorneys can probably speak to it better than I can, but I know for a fact that white shoe law firms actively go to tier one law schools (Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, etc.) and do intern recruitment activities on campus. They literally make house calls for you if you go to the "right" school. They aren't doing that for you if you're at UC-Irvine. And if you don't go to one of those schools, and even go to a good-not-great law school (U of M, Florida, USC, etc.) all of your resume points have to be essentially perfect if you're even going to have the slightest chance at an internship at one of those firms.
Yes, graduate degrees from more prestigious universities will get your foot in the door of famous law firms, etc.

But for the most part, going somewhere like the U of MN is just fine. Success is determined by the individual.

Yes, graduate degrees from more prestigious universities will get your foot in the door of famous law firms, etc.

But for the most part, going somewhere like the U of MN is just fine. Success is determined by the individual.
The legal community, especially big law, is ripe with snobbery. It will often be T1 law schools and then it is often also only the top 10% from those schools. The top 10% is especially strange because the difference between the top 10% and top 30% would very likely be how they answered 1 or 2 subjective questions during law school. Law exams are often only given out once per year (or once a semester) and are often only made up of like 5 ish open-ended subjective exam questions. Law school is a terrible place to train a lawyer and law school exams are an even more terrible way to test that training.

I didn't go to a T1 law school and I entered big law. I just didn't have quite as easy as my colleagues who did. I didn't get paid to take the bar and I didn't start out on partner track (which really means nothing).

In my opinion, here is the difference. I know very few people who went to Ivy League type schools who aren't extremely comfortable. The ones I do know have some sort of personal issue preventing it (maybe autism, personality issues, etc.), but generally one of those educations is like starting the inning with someone on second base. It's a home game for them. It doesn't guarantee success and it's not the only path to success but it's a definite advantage.

WTF are you talking about? I clearly said that I would have typed dumb stuff when I was young too. My post was the furthest things from "back in my day". Back in my day, I said tons of stupid sh!t too, I had the luxury of that stupid sh!t not being on social media. I also had the luxury of people telling me the truth when I said nonsense. I grew out of it, I'm sure he will too.

I didn’t think I mentioned you Bob but if you feel like a caveman, that is something you will have to work out on your own.

Not that I was ever a pro athlete, but I know the feeling that your success in a field is what determines your value in life. That can lead to a lot of mental health issues. In a perfect world, he would be able to continue playing basketball while also coming to terms with the issues he is facing. However, sometimes you need to step away completely from the thing that is causing you pain in order to truly learn how to live and be happy with yourself as a person.

I think it’s a very bold assumption for you to make that stepping away from basketball will either not help his mental health or make it worse. I understand not wanting to encourage drastic decisions in the face of mental health challenges, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to think that pursuing a different path in life may help. Regardless, I think everyone is wishing for the best for him.

He is describing the medical condition of Depression, not unhappiness. If he is stepping away to use that time to work on all the facets of a mental illness, that makes sense, but a sport, a job, or a thing does not cause Depression. Not playing basketball is almost certainly not going to cause his brain to start magically producing more dopamine and serotonin.

He is describing the medical condition of Depression, not unhappiness. If he is stepping away to use that time to work on all the facets of a mental illness, that makes sense, but a sport, a job, or a thing does not cause Depression. Not playing basketball is almost certainly not going to cause his brain to start magically producing more dopamine and serotonin.
What is your profession, Tim?

Maybe not but it sure can make it exponentially worse, if playing in the NBA was causing extreme levels of stress it sure can result in depression or worsen already existing levels of depression.

Top Bottom