Tyrell Terry retires from Basketball at age 22

GopherBlood777

Reaction score

I wish him luck but there are some Royce White vibes in that post.
Royce is still playing basketball to a certain degree though if you count the Big 3. Who knows, maybe he just needs a break from the grind.

Royce is still playing basketball to a certain degree though if you count the Big 3. Who knows, maybe he just needs a break from the grind.
I meant more the "No one knows what is going on. We are on a rock spinning in nothingness." It was a paragraph filled with the type of nihilistic nonsense dumb people type to pretend to be deep thinkers. I'm not calling Tyrell Terry dumb, but what he put on his instagram was really stupid.

I don't really care that he quit basketball. I think he'll regret it but that's life. I hope he finds whatever he is he thinks he is looking for.

I meant more the "No one knows what is going on. We are on a rock spinning in nothingness." It was a paragraph filled with the type of nihilistic nonsense dumb people type to pretend to be deep thinkers. I'm not calling Tyrell Terry dumb, but what he put on his instagram was really stupid.

I don't really care that he quit basketball. I think he'll regret it but that's life. I hope he finds whatever he is he thinks he is looking for.
I really really don’t get where you’re getting that message from. I didn’t see any sort of the nihilistic “nothing matters” message and honestly thought it was really well written. I just got that he had spent his entire life being defined by basketball and wanted something more than that. Which is a totally reasonable thing to say.

A 22 year old kid opens up about how the game he’s built his life around no longer makes him happy, and your first reaction is “he sounds dumb”? I don’t get it man.

I really really don’t get where you’re getting that message from. I didn’t see any sort of the nihilistic “nothing matters” message and honestly thought it was really well written. I just got that he had spent his entire life being defined by basketball and wanted something more than that. Which is a totally reasonable thing to say.

A 22 year old kid opens up about how the game he’s built his life around no longer makes him happy, and your first reaction is “he sounds dumb”? I don’t get it man.
Thank you skyman31. I couldn't have said it as well as you! Thanks for having a big heart.

I played ball with a kid who ended up playing big minutes at Georgia Tech as a freshman in the early 80s. He was a great ball player but he couldn't find full happiness with the game. He ended up leaving Georgia Tech and went on to become a preacher at a Reformed church in Las Vegas. He's been there for about 30 years and loves it.
I hope Tyrell Terry finds his calling where he is a positive influence in the world. Something's are more important than money.

I think it sounds like he has some serious mental health issues. The instinct is to make a drastic life change when you are experiencing that like leaving your family or job or worse. But that is not the answer, as the cause is often chemical in nature and requires therapy, sometimes medication, and other lifestyle changes. What he described isnt gonna get better by not playing basketball anymore. Probably will make it worse actually.

Not to get too deep into a debate about nihilism, but a post about just being on a rock floating through nothingness so you just need to worry about existing is nihilism 101.

I don't care that he is walking away from basketball and if he would have said that like a normal human being in a reasonable way, I wouldn't have commented.

"No one knows what is going on. We're on a rock spinning in nothingness. Time and space flip roles in a black hole. We're just existing, trying to make sense of it. Which to me, is liberating. Nothing is that serious. All you can do is exist and enjoy the mystery of it all".

That's dumb. That's the way dumb people write who pretend to be smart. There are probably tons of stupid people on Tik Tok posting similar kinds of messages about tons of different things.

I'll die on the hill that anyone who says ". . . time and space flip roles in a black hole." during their retirement announcement is saying something really dumb.

Best of luck to Tyrell, one advantage he has is he can always go back to Stanford and finish his degree if he wants to (or hasn't yet) Degree from there will open a lot of doors, but regardless our sport of choice always passes us by at some point, I hope he finds he's looking for and is at peace with his decision.

Best of luck to Tyrell, one advantage he has is he can always go back to Stanford and finish his degree if he wants to (or hasn't yet) Degree from there will open a lot of doors, but regardless our sport of choice always passes us by at some point, I hope he finds he's looking for and is at peace with his decision.
That's true but then he'd have to deal with the grind of the real world. I just hope that grind doesn't make him start wondering about stardust and how his soul is illuminated by rainbow beams.

That's true but then he'd have to deal with the grind of the real world. I just hope that grind doesn't make him start wondering about stardust and how his soul is illuminated by rainbow beams.
As they say, life's hard and then you die. At 22, he might have Peter Pan syndrome, which we all go through that at some point in our early 20's. Like the rest of us, he will either eventually figure it out or he won't

As they say, life's hard and then you die. At 22, he might have Peter Pan syndrome, which we all go through that at some point in our early 20's. Like the rest of us, he will either eventually figure it out or he won't
100%. I honestly wish him well and I'm giving him crap about the stuff he types. I am glad there wasn't social media when I was his age, I'm sure I would have typed a ton of stupid crap.

DMT is one hell of a drug, or so I'm told : )

I've always wondered why people say a degree from Stanford opens more doors than a degree from Minnesota. To me, it's about the individual, not the school.

Terry went to Stanford for 1 year to play basketball.

Honestly in 2022 these kids should be allowed to go back to college and even play some basketball if they desire.

I've always wondered why people say a degree from Stanford opens more doors than a degree from Minnesota. To me, it's about the individual, not the school.

Ultimately it is about the people, but the degree does matter to a certain extent. I think this is especially true with some advanced degrees.

The problem is that if there is an employer (especially outside of the cities) and they have two identical resumes (both A students, etc.) and one went to Stanford and one went to the U, they'll probably pick the Stanford applicant.

It seems the cavemen among us that once spent their time yelling at clouds have moved to message boards and social media to tell us how the younger generations are living wrong. I could not imagine ragging on a 22 year old that's expressing his struggles with mental health in a time where suicide rates are as bad as they've ever been among men, particularly young adult men. Here's hoping Tyrell gets the help he needs and that goes for anyone who may be going through difficult time on this board. Don't be afraid to speak out, someone will listen.

That's hindsight, absolutely no one saw him as a one and done

Last edited:

Ultimately it is about the people, but the degree does matter to a certain extent. I think this is especially true with some advanced degrees.

The problem is that if there is an employer (especially outside of the cities) and they have two identical resumes (both A students, etc.) and one went to Stanford and one went to the U, they'll probably pick the Stanford applicant.
This. I don't get why some people get all uppity about suggesting that a degree from a certain school carries more weight with people. I have a former coworker/friend who went to Notre Dame. There is a local business that has mostly ND people at the top. So guess where he is now? At that company, and he is the head of one of their divisions. I don't begrudge him - he (or should I say, his parents) spent a crap ton on his degree, which at the end of the day is the same as mine. But his allows him to get his foot in the door of such places. Ultimately, his work will speak for itself and will be what allows him to keep his job. But his degree 100% got him there to begin with.

This. I don't get why some people get all uppity about suggesting that a degree from a certain school carries more weight with people. I have a former coworker/friend who went to Notre Dame. There is a local business that has mostly ND people at the top. So guess where he is now? At that company, and he is the head of one of their divisions. I don't begrudge him - he (or should I say, his parents) spent a crap ton on his degree, which at the end of the day is the same as mine. But his allows him to get his foot in the door of such places. Ultimately, his work will speak for itself and will be what allows him to keep his job. But his degree 100% got him there to begin with.
Typically not about what you know, but who you know.

1. Pretty tough spot, maybe he enjoyed college ball a bit more. Players his age just missed NIL, he could still be in school and making good money playing ball.

2. He could go make good money over seas, okay I understand it's not for everyone.

3. Wish him the best, pray he finds understanding and purpose in his life from Jesus.

4. Some of those statements remind me of things Kyrie Irving would say... hope that's not the case here.

5. Did he play in the TC pro/am games this summer? Can't remember

6. Maybe the dude just doesn't like basketball that much.

It seems the cavemen among us that once spent their time yelling at clouds have moved to message boards and social media to tell us how the younger generations are living wrong. I could not imagine ragging on a 22 year old that's expressing his struggles with mental health in a time where suicide rates are as bad as they've ever been among men, particularly young adult men. Here's hoping Tyrell gets the help he needs and that goes for anyone who may be going through difficult time on this board. Don't be afraid to speak out, someone will listen.
You're a good man.

Not to get too deep into a debate about nihilism, but a post about just being on a rock floating through nothingness so you just need to worry about existing is nihilism 101.

I don't care that he is walking away from basketball and if he would have said that like a normal human being in a reasonable way, I wouldn't have commented.

"No one knows what is going on. We're on a rock spinning in nothingness. Time and space flip roles in a black hole. We're just existing, trying to make sense of it. Which to me, is liberating. Nothing is that serious. All you can do is exist and enjoy the mystery of it all".

That's dumb. That's the way dumb people write who pretend to be smart. There are probably tons of stupid people on Tik Tok posting similar kinds of messages about tons of different things.

I'll die on the hill that anyone who says ". . . time and space flip roles in a black hole." during their retirement announcement is saying something really dumb.
I think we actually read different posts. I was referring to his Instagram post, which I assumed you were as well.

This tweet here has the caption I had read, which doesn’t include anything about being on a rock floating through nothingness. Where did you read the post you are referring to?

And a lot of the time, places need to filter from thousands of applicants to the small group of people they’ll actually interview. Choosing the more prestigious school is one way to filter a bunch of otherwise similar resumes. I don’t think that once people get into the interview phase the school matters as much, but it sure helps get you to a point where you have the opportunity to prove that you’re qualified.

I mean, it is an inarguable fact that degrees from certain schools set you up for a higher likelihood of greater success, and yet people still futilely try to argue the other side of it (kind of like the endless recruiting rankings arguments around here, I guess). Bob and other resident attorneys can probably speak to it better than I can, but I know for a fact that white shoe law firms actively go to tier one law schools (Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, etc.) and do intern recruitment activities on campus. They literally make house calls for you if you go to the "right" school. They aren't doing that for you if you're at UC-Irvine. And if you don't go to one of those schools, and even go to a good-not-great law school (U of M, Florida, USC, etc.) all of your resume points have to be essentially perfect if you're even going to have the slightest chance at an internship at one of those firms.

I think it sounds like he has some serious mental health issues. The instinct is to make a drastic life change when you are experiencing that like leaving your family or job or worse. But that is not the answer, as the cause is often chemical in nature and requires therapy, sometimes medication, and other lifestyle changes. What he described isnt gonna get better by not playing basketball anymore. Probably will make it worse actually.
Not that I was ever a pro athlete, but I know the feeling that your success in a field is what determines your value in life. That can lead to a lot of mental health issues. In a perfect world, he would be able to continue playing basketball while also coming to terms with the issues he is facing. However, sometimes you need to step away completely from the thing that is causing you pain in order to truly learn how to live and be happy with yourself as a person.

I think it’s a very bold assumption for you to make that stepping away from basketball will either not help his mental health or make it worse. I understand not wanting to encourage drastic decisions in the face of mental health challenges, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to think that pursuing a different path in life may help. Regardless, I think everyone is wishing for the best for him.

WTF are you talking about? I clearly said that I would have typed dumb stuff when I was young too. My post was the furthest things from "back in my day". Back in my day, I said tons of stupid sh!t too, I had the luxury of that stupid sh!t not being on social media. I also had the luxury of people telling me the truth when I said nonsense. I grew out of it, I'm sure he will too.

I think we actually read different posts. I was referring to his Instagram post, which I assumed you were as well.

This tweet here has the caption I had read, which doesn’t include anything about being on a rock floating through nothingness. Where did you read the post you are referring to?
Yeah, I wasn't mocking this post. I was mocking his instragram post that is in the link from the original posting. This tweet is not what I was mocking, I was mocking the time and space and black hole stuff.

Top Bottom