Typical Reusse column - apparently about Perich and Asuma but spends paragraphs talking about John Gagliardi and Cash Chavis

Knoblach made $20 million after the yips. I think he made the right decision to push through.
I still remember being about 14, with four of my friends, at a twins game in the dome when Chuck returned with the Royals.

We rode the bus from saint paul, and filled out guts with dome dogs. We were in the nosebleeds, but cheering our heads off and chanting and acting like general 14 year old idiots. Nobody was around us, but we were carrying on and hooting and hollering really loud.

A twins rep came to us and said we were the type of fans they wanted - and moved us to the third base line!

Once there, we proceeded to razz the entire Royals team mercilessly. But we also were cheering for third base coach Al Newman so hard. We got the whole vicinity to cheer for Al.

When Chuck got to second I was screaming "90 feet to hell chuck" ... hoping he'd get on third. Every other words out of our mouths was a curse word. Families near us recoiled, and the college kids in front of us were rolling all game and jumping on board with our antics.

I am not proud of our conduct, looking back, lol. But the next day, the trib ran an article about how Al Newman had a fan club on third base line.

Makes me feel like that line from Stand by me (or The Body, if you read the book) - "nobody has friends like they do when their 12"... we were slightly older, but it really feels that way looking back.

Mid to late nineties Twins baseball was a dumpster fire, but I really have so many fond memories.

Didn’t Dave Engle get the yips throwing the ball back to the pitcher?

He was also the first MLB player to dong in the dome.

Not the first player, but the first MLB player.

Good trivia question on who was the first.
Not sure about who you have in mind for the first, but I did recall Pete Rose got the first hit and Hrbek swatted 2 HR’s in the Metrodome’s debut for the Twins (an exhibition game vs. Phillies)

Engle did have the first HR in a Regular Season Game at the HHH Dome. Gaetti had 2 in an eventual 11-7 loss to the M's. Both can be used in todays Baseball Grid.

Amazing, for such a high scoring game it was played in 2 hrs 32 min. No need for pitch clocks back then.

Can't remember the details, but the first HR in the dome was by a high school kid before any college or MLB teams had a chance to play there.

I think it may have been something like STA vs Southwest, or something like that.

I friend of mine who played for Augsburg hit what I thought was the first HR there of any sort, but perhaps it was the first collegiate bomb. Regardless someone from the Twins collected the ball.

I still remember being about 14, with four of my friends, at a twins game in the dome when Chuck returned with the Royals.

We rode the bus from saint paul, and filled out guts with dome dogs. We were in the nosebleeds, but cheering our heads off and chanting and acting like general 14 year old idiots. Nobody was around us, but we were carrying on and hooting and hollering really loud.

A twins rep came to us and said we were the type of fans they wanted - and moved us to the third base line!

Once there, we proceeded to razz the entire Royals team mercilessly. But we also were cheering for third base coach Al Newman so hard. We got the whole vicinity to cheer for Al.

When Chuck got to second I was screaming "90 feet to hell chuck" ... hoping he'd get on third. Every other words out of our mouths was a curse word. Families near us recoiled, and the college kids in front of us were rolling all game and jumping on board with our antics.

I am not proud of our conduct, looking back, lol. But the next day, the trib ran an article about how Al Newman had a fan club on third base line.

Makes me feel like that line from Stand by me (or The Body, if you read the book) - "nobody has friends like they do when their 12"... we were slightly older, but it really feels that way looking back.

Mid to late nineties Twins baseball was a dumpster fire, but I really have so many fond memories.
That is an awesome story!

Full of piss and vinegar at age 14 - and to think, in just 2 more years, you would know everything! :ROFLMAO:

I friend of mine who played for Augsburg hit what I thought was the first HR there of any sort, but perhaps it was the first collegiate bomb. Regardless someone from the Twins collected the ball.
The question was asked during the annual 50 hour trivia contest put on by St Cloud St. I’ve been part of a team that competes in that for years.

The question was “Who hit the first home run in the Metrodome, and what teams were playing”.
It’s not really trivia, per se, but more of a research project. For a question as difficult as this one, you may get 20-30 minutes to answer it, and some you might only get 5 minutes. And for most questions, you can attempt to answer as many times as you want as time allows. You call the answer line (yes, still by phone) and since this had 3 parts, you answer slowly, so we started calling and saying things like “East” and wait, and the “answer desk” may say “Partial”, meaning that part of what you answered is correct. Through this method, we determined it must have been high school teams, so started calling, and finally identified “academy” and “southwest”. I know someone who played baseball for Southwest High School, and fit the timeframe, so I had to track him down, and we finally figured out the whole answer. When the answer desk finally said “correct” the whole room went nuts.

This annual trivia contest starts next month, and I can’t wait for it.

two Twins stories - both at Met Stadium. this would have been in mid-70's when my friends and I were drinking age.

1. sitting in outfield bleachers with drinking buddies and razzing Rickey Henderson. his hat kept falling off when he would run for a fly ball, so we started chanting "your head's too big for your hat" and similar sentiments. he flipped us off and we considered that a victory.

2. sitting in the outfield seats again. back in those days, they let you bring in coolers, so my crew would mix up a gallon thermos of mixed drinks and bring them in. (strip and go naked's were a favorite) we were getting pretty bombed when it started to rain. so we decided to sit out the rain delay and keep drinking. after a while, we were trying to lead the bleacher crowd in a chant of "we can get drunker than this."

(there is a whole different story about the time my college roommate stole a keg of beer, but I will save that for another day......)

two Twins stories - both at Met Stadium. this would have been in mid-70's when my friends and I were drinking age.

1. sitting in outfield bleachers with drinking buddies and razzing Rickey Henderson. his hat kept falling off when he would run for a fly ball, so we started chanting "your head's too big for your hat" and similar sentiments. he flipped us off and we considered that a victory.

2. sitting in the outfield seats again. back in those days, they let you bring in coolers, so my crew would mix up a gallon thermos of mixed drinks and bring them in. (strip and go naked's were a favorite) we were getting pretty bombed when it started to rain. so we decided to sit out the rain delay and keep drinking. after a while, we were trying to lead the bleacher crowd in a chant of "we can get drunker than this."

(there is a whole different story about the time my college roommate stole a keg of beer, but I will save that for another day......)
I really enjoyed reading that!
Youth doesn't change - we just get older...

You're stories had me smiling the whole time, thanks for sharing them!

Top Bottom