Typical Overreaction

goldy93

Reaction score
Well, I can see the usual suspects are up to their typical overreaction to a loss. Blame Limegrover, blame Leidner, ad nauseum. This is a team game guys and you have to make plays. I saw 2 plays that cost us this game:

1) Santoso missed an easy field goal. That put us in the position at the end of the game having to go for it on 4th down instead of being able to kick a field goal to win. Of course, we should not have even been in that spot, but...
2) Cobb fumbled and it was picked up and they ran it in for a TD and the go ahead score.

There it is, that was the game. We lost a costly turnover and we did not convert in special teams.

Aren't you forgetting we were favored by 13?

We were favored by 3.5 at game time. Either way it was a horrible loss.

It was a loss to a team that hadn't won a game in the Big Ten this year. I think fans should be frustrated with the Gophers and the staff. We have played two of the worst teams in the league the last two weeks barely pulled out a one point win at home and lost on the road. If the Gopher are truly improving they are doing it much slower than the 6-1 record would indicate. Is it time to call for change? Probably not, but it is time to be realistic on just how good this team is. The record is great right now but how will this team finish after struggling against Purdue and Illinois when they don't play another team below .500 on the season?

It was a loss to a team that hadn't won a game in the Big Ten this year. I think fans should be frustrated with the Gophers and the staff.

Exactly. Completely disappointing. We need to be Wisconsin for this year to be redeemed for me.

Exactly. The game opened around 6.5 most places I saw and was down to 5.5 last I looked on Friday.

No doubt a disappointing loss, but let's stop pretending that this was some monumental upset for the ages!

Very dissapointed by the loss, but I concur with FireDaveLee that this was not a huge upset. This team is well coached and more often than not exceeds expectations by executing well. The talent is getting better, but this is still not a team that can make mistakes/play flat for a half, and beat below average conference teams.

It was a loss to a team that hadn't won a game in the Big Ten this year. I think fans should be frustrated with the Gophers and the staff. We have played two of the worst teams in the league the last two weeks barely pulled out a one point win at home and lost on the road. If the Gopher are truly improving they are doing it much slower than the 6-1 record would indicate. Is it time to call for change? Probably not, but it is time to be realistic on just how good this team is. The record is great right now but how will this team finish after struggling against Purdue and Illinois when they don't play another team below .500 on the season?

Of course we should be disappointed. We had a bad game all around on all sides of the ball and we lost. Kill has said over and over that this team must play mistake free football, because we are not good enough to win when we make mistakes.

Could this be the type of thing the OP had in mind?

Well, I can see the usual suspects are up to their typical overreaction to a loss. Blame Limegrover, blame Leidner, ad nauseum. This is a team game guys and you have to make plays. I saw 2 plays that cost us this game:

1) Santoso missed an easy field goal. That put us in the position at the end of the game having to go for it on 4th down instead of being able to kick a field goal to win. Of course, we should not have even been in that spot, but...
2) Cobb fumbled and it was picked up and they ran it in for a TD and the go ahead score.

There it is, that was the game. We lost a costly turnover and we did not convert in special teams.

It wasn't just those two plays that cost us the game. Those were both second half plays, and neither of them contributed to our offense only scoring 3 in the first half. Nor did they contribute to a conference bottom-feeder scoring on 2 of their first 3 drives. Nor did they contribute to us failing to stop Illinois on 3rd and 14. There is some overreaction out there, but we didn't just lose this game on two plays.

The third and long conversions against us are becoming a major problem.

I would describe it as less of an overreaction and more of a market correction.

I don't think many are saying fire the coaches after the loss, I just think people are realizing maybe the gophers are pretty mediocre.

If the gophers are mediocre in year four..."what does that mean?" is a pretty good question (that I don't have the answer to)

The overreaction is not "typical" when you lose to a team that is on a 1-24 streak in the Big Ten, and who is playing without their starting QB. Especially when the wake up call supposedly happened last week against Purdue.

What overreaction?? Not from me. I expect these type of games from a team that I picked to finish 6-6. Disappointed but nor surprised.

But this is one BIG game I felt we would win and should have and I picked us 31-24.. I didn't see us winning at Ann Arbor so I guess it evened out.

I was in the stadium and it was not an easy FG. The wind was blowing like crazy and shifting directions.

Top Bottom