Tyler Johnson released by Texans

It also means there are 128 WR that are ahead of him. Sad but true.
Yeah. I mean if he was a true number 3 he could make a roster without being a valuable special teams guy. But even a number 4 there just aren’t enough snaps to have a guy who isn’t good at kick coverage.

Not sure there are 128 but there are definitely 100+

There’s 10 other players on ST, not just a return man.
Yeah. And that takes a different skill than wideout.

Unless you consider that unskilled labor.
Maybe you should be a special teamer in the nfl. All it takes is effort!

The guy got a SB ring and certainly did his part in the run. Sucks that the future outlook isn't bright. But I hope he's happy with what he accomplished.

The guy got a SB ring and certainly did his part in the run. Sucks that the future outlook isn't bright. But I hope he's happy with what he accomplished.
Yes! He totally avoids frustrated athlete syndrome. He doesn't have to guess that he is good enough to be on the field with other NFL people. Tip of the cap to Tyler (with degree in hand)!

One of the all time Gopher Greats!

I think that there are enough teams hurting at wr that he may be able to get another chance. Green Bay and the Giants come to mind.

So what else is unfortunate is that what’s he going to do now? Usually NFL career ending players (if you’re popular or great) you’ll end up on a great network and commentate or coach, but I can’t see TJ working get any network gigs as he’s not popular enough in the game and he has zero personality with soft speaking nasally voice to boot. I was thinking maybe BTN, but think they’d hire him?

What’s next for this MPLS young man?

So what else is unfortunate is that what’s he going to do now? Usually NFL career ending players (if you’re popular or great) you’ll end up on a great network and commentate or coach, but I can’t see TJ working get any network gigs as he’s not popular enough in the game and he has zero personality with soft speaking nasally voice to boot. I was thinking maybe BTN, but think they’d hire him?

What’s next for this MPLS young man?
Most nfl players don’t end up commentating unless you have a different definition of most than I do

I think that there are enough teams hurting at wr that he may be able to get another chance. Green Bay and the Giants come to mind.
He’s not as good as what they already have.

They clearly like him, just clearly think he isn’t versatile enough to be on their active roster with the few WR reps he would see.
Hopefully he gets another chance to play regularly at some point

Was wondering if this was going to happen. They've had a revolving door at WR this year with injuries. Presumably he can step right in when they need somebody on the active roster on a week-to-week basis.

Happy for him. He’ll have something to prove for sure.

I don't know if a player can actually practice being a kick/punt gunner, but I'm hoping Tyler does just that. Find multiple ways to make himself useful to a team.

I don't know if a player can actually practice being a kick/punt gunner, but I'm hoping Tyler does just that. Find multiple ways to make himself useful to a team.
If little Marcus Sherels could turn himself into a gunner, I don't see why it isn't physically possible for Tyler Johnson.

If little Marcus Sherels could turn himself into a gunner, I don't see why it isn't physically possible for Tyler Johnson.

Sherels was a college D-back, so he naturally fit into that tackling role. Johnson is probably more gifted athletically, but there's likely more of a learning curve since hasn't played defense since HS. Either way, I hope he sticks. It's fun watching Goph alums play on Sundays.

Sherels was a college D-back, so he naturally fit into that tackling role. Johnson is probably more gifted athletically, but there's likely more of a learning curve since hasn't played defense since HS. Either way, I hope he sticks. It's fun watching Goph alums play on Sundays.
I get that but Johnson probably has 35 lbs and 3-4" on Marcus Sherels. I actually doubt it came natural to Sherels (he was never the most physical guy) and converted from WR to CB in college.

Your point is well-taken that it would be a difficult transition for Johnson (and that's no slight to him), but there is nothing physical in him that would make it difficult for him to be a gunner on punt coverage.

Yeah he kinda managed to brand himself / establish himself as a go to "do anything" sorta guy with the coaches.

Top Bottom