Tyler Johnson released by Texans

Hopefully practice squad or over to XFL

Bummer. I was rooting for him. Texans not a great team to go to and expect to be productive. I'm rooting for him and hope he gets another shot, even if its the Packers

Probably right. Third year and released by two teams now. Most likely the dream is over although the might get one more chance.
Yeah, his long term outlook isn't great at this point in terms of the NFL. But you never know, maybe he catches on somewhere.

If I were him I would figure out a way to make myself valuable on special teams because it sounds like that is one of the things working against him.

Yeah, his long term outlook isn't great at this point in terms of the NFL. But you never know, maybe he catches on somewhere.

If I were him I would figure out a way to make myself valuable on special teams because it sounds like that is one of the things working against him.
If you can't crack the top 4 and you don't excel at special teams, it's tough.

I think he'll keep getting opportunities here and there but will struggle to hold on to a spot. Those types of players can carve out a nice career.

Man, if this is accurate he really needs to latch on somewhere for the year.
NFL players vest for a small pension, after 3 good years, it takes being on the active roster for 3 games to have a good year. I think that the rate right now is $9000 per good year and you can start collecting at 55. He has two games with the Texans I'm not sure about the Bucs.

I think he'll keep getting opportunities here and there but will struggle to hold on to a spot. Those types of players can carve out a nice career.
Not easy to suddenly develop into a good special teams player. Every NFL roster has really good athletes playing ST.

TJ may just not have thought he would ever need to worry about that when he started out with the Bucs. It's late now.

Yeah. No doubt in my mind he is good a good enough player to be a number 4 receiver

I’m not sure he is good enough at football generally to be the 49th guy on a roster

Not easy to suddenly develop into a good special teams player. Every NFL roster has really good athletes playing ST.

TJ may just not have thought he would ever need to worry about that when he started out with the Bucs. It's late now.

He’d have to have a hell of an ego, or be completely misguided to be a 5th round draft pick and think he didn’t need to worry about playing special teams.

He’d have to have a hell of an ego, or be completely misguided to be a 5th round draft pick and think he didn’t need to worry about playing special teams.
Willingness doesn’t necessarily mean you’re good at it. Blocking in space on kick return is different than blocking at wideout.
Covering in kicks is a different skill than playing wideout

Willingness doesn’t necessarily mean you’re good at it. Blocking in space on kick return is different than blocking at wideout.
Covering in kicks is a different skill than playing wideout

If you’re athletic enough to play WR in the NFL you’re athletic enough to play special teams. TJ also played D in high school and many thought he could be a good safety in college.

It’s entirely an effort issue.

Sad to hear this but not surprised as it took a long time for him to be activated and then he wasn't targeted. Since this was on a poor Houston team that had a need at WR, I wonder if he will have a hard time getting picked up?

It appears that isn’t true.
Reports out of Tampa bay were that he wasn’t useful enough on special teams to keep around to play 10-15 snaps of offense

I imagine that’s true in Houston

If you’re athletic enough to play WR in the NFL you’re athletic enough to play special teams. TJ also played D in high school and many thought he could be a good safety in college.

It’s entirely an effort issue.
If that were true then a guy who was worse at his position would never make the roster as a number 4 yet they do all the time.

Sherels made the Vikings for years when there were probably 100 guys better at corner not in the nfl each year. If you think all special teams is is effort and athleticism you don’t really know

If that were true then a guy who was worse at his position would never make the roster as a number 4 yet they do all the time.

Sherels made the Vikings for years when there were probably 100 guys better at corner not in the nfl each year. If you think all special teams is is effort and athleticism you don’t really know

Sherels was always limited as a corner, just like TJ is at WR. Because of that, Sherels made the effort to turn himself into a great special teamer, and it's the reason he stayed on the roster for so long. TJ has not made the effort to become even an adequate special teams player, which is why he's not on a roster, and his career may be over.

Sherels was always limited as a corner, just like TJ is at WR. Because of that, Sherels made the effort to turn himself into a great special teamer, and it's the reason he stayed on the roster for so long. TJ has not made the effort to become even an adequate special teams player, which is why he's not on a roster, and his career may be over.
We aren’t going to agree on this.
I don’t think TJ could become a pro bowl return man simply by giving more effort

Reports out of Tampa bay were that he wasn’t useful enough on special teams to keep around to play 10-15 snaps of offense

I imagine that’s true in Houston
It also means there are 128 WR that are ahead of him. Sad but true.

Top Bottom