Tyler Johnson official 40 time?

Deckergopher

Banned
Reaction score
When he officially runs, what’s his 40?
I’ll go with 4.49/4.54.
i think he’s going to surprise many.

4.55 at the pro day. That’s about what I had been expecting at the combine, which probably would have been good enough.

People tend to run .1 faster at their pro day then the combine.
4.60 combine, 4.51 at the pro day.

This should be a contest. Guess Johnson's pro day 40 time. I'll go with 4.56.

I'll go with 4.65 to 4.70. I just don't think Johnson is very fast. But I do think he is plenty fast to have a solid NFL career.

Back in the '90s, the Vikings drafted a slot WR from Alabama named David Palmer. Bama fans still talk about "The Deuce" and all the amazing punt and kick returns he had. The thing is, Palmer himself admitted in an interview that he had never run faster than 4.6 in his entire life. His ability to retain speed while changing direction that made him "play" faster than his 40 time.

Running in a straight line, in shorts, against a stopwatch, with no defenders around or ball in the air isn't a good measure of game speed IMHO. I actually worry more about TJ's concentration drops than his speed. Do that a few times in the NFL and you could find yourself on waivers.

I'll go with 4.65 to 4.70. I just don't think Johnson is very fast. But I do think he is plenty fast to have a solid NFL career.

Back in the '90s, the Vikings drafted a slot WR from Alabama named David Palmer. Bama fans still talk about "The Deuce" and all the amazing punt and kick returns he had. The thing is, Palmer himself admitted in an interview that he had never run faster than 4.6 in his entire life. His ability to retain speed while changing direction that made him "play" faster than his 40 time.

Running in a straight line, in shorts, against a stopwatch, with no defenders around or ball in the air isn't a good measure of game speed IMHO. I actually worry more about TJ's concentration drops than his speed. Do that a few times in the NFL and you could find yourself on waivers.

Damn.

4.65 - 4.70?

How slow is Smoke Monday?

Seriously, if Tyler runs that slow, he might not even get drafted. I think he’s faster than that.

Yes, he is running it at MN's pro day to practice for it more. Which shows how dumb the 40 test is. They hire a sprinting coach for a test that doesn't necessarily correlate to the field.

I think the 40 is the ultimate tie breaker for teams. When you get down to it, it is probably really hard for teams to differentiate a ton between players, so the 40 time can give them a nice tie breaker to use when they have 2 players with similar profiles and makeups.

I think the 40 is the ultimate tie breaker for teams. When you get down to it, it is probably really hard for teams to differentiate a ton between players, so the 40 time can give them a nice tie breaker to use when they have 2 players with similar profiles and makeups.
My tie breakers would be drops and route running from video.

Those easy drops are frustrating as hell but they absolutely happen all the time in the NFL. Obviously if it happens at a 50/50 clip that’s a real issue but I suspect the fact it’s commonplace in the pros is a reason it’s not brought up much by the scouts. It should be outweighed by Tyler’s elite playmaking skills, body control on contested balls, sideline balls which should be priority number 1. Even Jerry Rice reportedly had a lot of drops his rookie season...got better.

Exactly, the stat is somewhat overrated. If you can't catch the ball, doesn't matter how fast you can run. Ain't that right, Troy Williamson or Darius Haywood-Bey.

Seriously. That’s pretty slow, and they’re already talking day 3.

4.6 might be acceptable. 4.7....he might get to choose his team.

He’s probably in that 4.55-4.60 range but who knows for sure? He’s not a burner home run threat but that’s not really his game anyway. Reviewing his 2018 and 2019 highlights just now and the number of contested catches he came down with was really impressive. There’s a spot on rosters for guys like that.

Exactly, the stat is somewhat overrated. If you can't catch the ball, doesn't matter how fast you can run. Ain't that right, Troy Williamson or Darius Haywood-Bey.

Troy Williamson. First rounder, number seven overall with maybe worst hands in Viking history and that includes Daunte Culpepper. In hind sight even his South Carolina highlight reel gave plenty of clues he wasn’t close to a first round talent. Probably 80% body catcher, sub-elite body control and balance, very few contested catches. His only attribute was straight line speed.

Last edited:

Cris Carter- 4.63. If he runs Cris carter Range he will be fine

Cooper Kupp (3rd round)....4.62
Geronimo Allison 4.67....undrafted

His college production--no matter how slow his 40--will get him drafted.

Cooper Kupp (3rd round)....4.62
Geronimo Allison 4.67....undrafted

His college production--no matter how slow his 40--will get him drafted.
Weeellllllll......maybe not.

Nelson Spruce, 4.69 undrafted

PAC 12's career reception leader. He held 43 school or conference records upon graduation.

Top Bottom