Tyler Johnson is Picked Up by the Raiders

Full Speed Ahead

Reaction score
HENDERSON, Nev. The Las Vegas Raiders have signed WR Tyler Johnson to a Reserve/Future contract, the club announced Wednesday.

Johnson was originally selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the fifth round (161st overall) of the 2020 NFL Draft. He spent two seasons with the club (2020-21) before being acquired via waivers by the Houston Texans in 2022.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pound wide receiver has appeared in 33 career games with six starts, totaling 48 receptions for 529 yards (11.0 avg.) and two touchdowns. He has played in six postseason contests with one start, catching seven passes for 76 yards.

HENDERSON, Nev. The Las Vegas Raiders have signed WR Tyler Johnson to a Reserve/Future contract, the club announced Wednesday.

Johnson was originally selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the fifth round (161st overall) of the 2020 NFL Draft. He spent two seasons with the club (2020-21) before being acquired via waivers by the Houston Texans in 2022.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pound wide receiver has appeared in 33 career games with six starts, totaling 48 receptions for 529 yards (11.0 avg.) and two touchdowns. He has played in six postseason contests with one start, catching seven passes for 76 yards.
TJ is going to have to find a way to make this work because this is may well be the last opportunity he gets to make it in the NFL.

I know if I was in TJ's shoes I would be doing anything I could to show some versatility and an ability to play special teams. Anything to be valuable and stick on the active roster.

I think it's more likely that he's getting yelled at by Tom Brady again, but we'll see.
Another former Patriot (Garoppolo) may be in the Silver and Black. Younger, albeit more fragile, option for the Raiders.

TJ is going to have to find a way to make this work because this is may well be the last opportunity he gets to make it in the NFL.

I know if I was in TJ's shoes I would be doing anything I could to show some versatility and an ability to play special teams. Anything to be valuable and stick on the active roster.
This is a given in my opinion. Wonder who advises him as to his work ethics, over all character development for his well-being for not only today, but for his long-term future ahead of him if he does well in pro football.

Sweet!

He may be catching passes from Aaron Rodgers if that's the case. Carr is likely getting the axe.
He's 100% getting the axe. It's why he was benched at the end of the season, so they didn't risk his salary being guaranteed if he was injured. Carr is gone.

I think it'll come down to Brady or Rodgers and I think it'll be Brady. I also think Gronk comes back.

He's 100% getting the axe. It's why he was benched at the end of the season, so they didn't risk his salary being guaranteed if he was injured. Carr is gone.

I think it'll come down to Brady or Rodgers and I think it'll be Brady. I also think Gronk comes back.
Would be such a Raiders move to pick up another injury prone tight end.

Well, his NFL career to date has already lasted far longer than most college players can reasonably expect. For the vast majority, the odds of getting a sniff of an opportunity — much less making making a roster in the league — are not good.

Well, Carr isn't necessarily getting "the axe", he'll get traded to a team looking for a QB and with any luck the Raiders will get a decent return.

The Raiders have so many holes on their roster, mostly on the defense, I honestly hope they just roll with Stidham in 2023, sign a veteran backup, and address the rest of the roster in the meantime. If Stidham works out, great, if not, the roster is significantly better in 2024 when you go out and get a QB, either high in the draft or in FA.

I think Stidham has some tools and some talent, and clearly knows McDaniels offense. And there's some opportunity for Tyler Johnson, after D. Adams and Hunter Renfrow, there's not a lot of WR depth on the Raiders roster right now.

Obviously teams see something but you only get so many chances...

Hope whatever is not quite there so far comes together this time.

Well, Carr isn't necessarily getting "the axe", he'll get traded to a team looking for a QB and with any luck the Raiders will get a decent return.

The Raiders have so many holes on their roster, mostly on the defense, I honestly hope they just roll with Stidham in 2023, sign a veteran backup, and address the rest of the roster in the meantime. If Stidham works out, great, if not, the roster is significantly better in 2024 when you go out and get a QB, either high in the draft or in FA.

I think Stidham has some tools and some talent, and clearly knows McDaniels offense. And there's some opportunity for Tyler Johnson, after D. Adams and Hunter Renfrow, there's not a lot of WR depth on the Raiders roster right now.
It's a possibility, but I'll be a little surprised if there is much of a market at all for him with his contract. He has a no trade clause and is due a ton of money next year. Additionally, that massive becomes guaranteed on February 15th. I think it's a complicated trade.

You'd have to find someone that wants him and that he'd be willing to restructure his contract for. It'd probably have to be the Jets, Panthers, Saints, or maybe the Commanders who would have interest.

They'd have to agree to this trade prior to knowing how the NFL draft shakes out and while knowing the Raiders will cut Carr if he is not traded before the 15th. IF they are able to extract anything from the these teams, I don't think it'll be much.

Good for him. Hopefully he can make the roster for at least a few games and get the pension.
Hear hear. Take advantage of this opportunity, Tyler. You've been given an entire offseason to memorize the playbook and get your body to peak conditioning. Let's see a breakthrough, you've shown flashes of talent that clearly prove you belong, just need that every play consistency.

Nailed it!

I just didn't want to believe it. I'll say however that the number is about as cheap as I would have thought it could be. That is not an expensive contract. If he can play 17 games, it's a good deal, but damn that guy has a history of being brittle.

There was another player named Phil Nelson who played for the Raiders back in the day. Wiki was confused.

Top Bottom