Ty Willingham?

Team545Gopher

Reaction score
I heard the KFAN guys were discussing Ty Willingham as a Dungy guy and potential option this morning. That name scares me a bit as a retread. Seems to me we need a successful up-and-comer who can coach the guys up. What do others think?

I think Willingham needs to go to low level FBS to get the career back on track.

No. He stunk at Washington, and he stunk at Notre Dame.

It was the Fargo Flash who brought up Willingham. As has been discussed on this board several times, the Flash has no clue. I cannot understand the opinions he forms. Is he watching the same games as the rest of us? Anyway...back to the topic at hand. We want NOTHING to do with Ty Willingham. Look at what he did at Washington. Based on that alone, this guy should not get another coaching job. 11-37 overall and 6-29 in the PAC 10. NO THANKS.

Ty Willingham = Dan Monson.

Was hired to clean up a mess at UW left by Neuheisel, who had winning program filled with illiterate thugs. Cleaned up the program, but couldn't win games, and as such, was shown the door.

The question is...would I rather have Willingham or Trestman?

The question is...would I rather have Willingham or Trestman?

The answer is ... Trestman.

I don't want Trestman, either. But it's better be an unknown Hail Mary than someone who was a high profile failure at his last two head coaching gigs.

Conzemius threw Willingham's name out based solely on his connect with Dungy and his impression that Dungy would be very influential in the process.

It is the only big name in the process - U would be lucky to get him.

Holy *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# we are through the looking glass.

If you can't win at ND with the situation there you would be another loser here!

nononononononononononononononononononononononoNO

Weis won a bunch with his guys. Might not be the best coach on the list but defintely the biggest name and that is what Joel is looking for. Plus black head coach in big ten is something BCA have been trying to do for years. Agree that Sumlin, Calhoun, Hoke might be better coaches but not nearly the name or the experience as Ty.

Weis won a bunch with his guys. Might not be the best coach on the list but defintely the biggest name and that is what Joel is looking for. Plus black head coach in big ten is something BCA have been trying to do for years. Agree that Sumlin, Calhoun, Hoke might be better coaches but not nearly the name or the experience as Ty.

You would really rather have Ty Willingham than Sumlin or Calhoun? Maybe we should give Bob Davie a call if being a former Notre Dame head coach is that valuable.

I don't think Washington was a good fit for Willingham at all. He was really placed behind the 8 ball in that situation. That program was full of nothing but thugs and it was essentially clean when he left. I guess we'll see how long it stays that way under the former USC guy.

I'm not saying that I want him as a Gopher coach (because I don't), but his name would make a ton of sense if the entire debacle in Washington never happened. He was a winner at Stanford and did an ok job at Notre Dame (Weiss's only success was with Willingham players).

I actually don't think he's a terrible coach, but he is the kind of guy who should go to a MAC or Conference USA school to rebuild his name (or even like a Vandy).

Willingham is an interesting case, though, because at one time he was considered a young up-and-comer. Now he's a middle-aged come-and-goner. Not every guy who the media swoons over turns out to be what they thought. Could be a good coordinator.

I actually don't think he's a terrible coach, but he is the kind of guy who should go to a MAC or Conference USA school to rebuild his name (or even like a Vandy).

We are "like a Vandy."

We are "like a Vandy."

Please.

You mean the Vandy that has 0 national titles, has gone almost 90 years without winning a conference title, and has gone to 1 bowl game in 28 years?

Yeah, we're almost the same.

Don't want to come off as an ass here, but those are terrible reasons for hiring a coach. If Maturi decides to hire somebody because of stuff like this, we might as well put the entire program to bed...

I heard the KFAN guys were discussing Ty Willingham as a Dungy guy

How is Willingham a Dungy guy? Willingham never served under Dungy at any stop. They were both assistants for the Vikes for two years (Ty as RB coach and Tony as DC), but I'd hardly say that makes Ty a Dungy guy.

Ty is a Dennis Green guy, first and foremost.

How is Willingham a Dungy guy? Willingham never served under Dungy at any stop. They were both assistants for the Vikes for two years (Ty as RB coach and Tony as DC), but I'd hardly say that makes Ty a Dungy guy.

Ty is a Dennis Green guy, first and foremost.

We could hire Denny. We would be on the high road if we did that.

Top Bottom