Two Oklahoma players cited for shoplifting at Dillard's

IIRC, wasn't Andrew Fitzgerald a top target for Coach Smith and his staff at power forward last year before Trevor Mbakwe came into the fold?

I don't know why I continue to be surprised of the stupidity of some of these athletes. They are in need of Common Sense 101 in a big way.

I'm assuming they will both face a minor penalty and slap on the wrist. Expect them to return within a week. That's common for most schools within the country. The student athlete is an aboration in the NCAA, except for at Minnesota, where by golly our AD will have everyone walk the line even if they are accused or even mentioned in a report and not convicted. It appears that Tubby is a great role model and sets a good example, but knowing that the NCAA is so F'd up, how many people would trade a situation and results like at West Virginia with Huggins for the one we have. It's an interesting debate.

I generally like Oklahoma, but they're not exactly known for thier strict discipline of thier athetes. The football program's gotten in as much trouble as anyone. And Kelvin Sampson was no angel obviously. I would hope they miss more then a couple games, but nothing surprises me.

What frustrates me about Maturi's handling of the basketball team this year is not so much what he did compared to other schools in similar situations (Tennessee, UCLA, etc.). It's the inconsistency withhin the athletic program. Whaley did something more severe then anything Royce was accused of, and didn't miss any time (granted they kicked him out for offense #2). Michael Carter got drunk and dusted it up with a cop. That's at least as serious as shop-lifting IMO, and again, no time missed. Brew got to handle both 'internally.' If one of our coaches is going to be given the benefit of the doubt to handle everything internally, I'd think it should be Tubby, not Brew.

Let Bobby Knight handle it. He'd introduce them to the their new best friends - the stairs.

I generally like Oklahoma, but they're not exactly known for thier strict discipline of thier athetes. The football program's gotten in as much trouble as anyone. And Kelvin Sampson was no angel obviously. I would hope they miss more then a couple games, but nothing surprises me.

What frustrates me about Maturi's handling of the basketball team this year is not so much what he did compared to other schools in similar situations (Tennessee, UCLA, etc.). It's the inconsistency withhin the athletic program. Whaley did something more severe then anything Royce was accused of, and didn't miss any time (granted they kicked him out for offense #2). Michael Carter got drunk and dusted it up with a cop. That's at least as serious as shop-lifting IMO, and again, no time missed. Brew got to handle both 'internally.' If one of our coaches is going to be given the benefit of the doubt to handle everything internally, I'd think it should be Tubby, not Brew.

Yep, its sad when your AD and coach take too hard a line on a player.

IIRC, wasn't Andrew Fitzgerald a top target for Coach Smith and his staff at power forward last year before Trevor Mbakwe came into the fold?

Absolutely. Tubby visited this young man.

howeda7: You've oversimplifying Royce White's deal.. he had other issues.

be careful, you might be walking on sacred ground with some people on this board when you question how Maturi handles Player misconduct in the Athletic department. You might be labeled a kentucky supporter,a Troll, or worse, someone called MISSEDLAYUP.........
Per tubby last week, he said Royce did everthing asked of him. I have been on record as saying we have a huge AD issue, and the handling of RW/TM issues and the overall department results highlight it. It is a shame because this basketball season did NOT have to be such a circus and disappointment.

Tubby dictated the White suspension, not Maturi.

I wanted RW back as much as anyone, but Tubby made the call on the indefinite suspension, and I do not disagree with it. Could care less about what the coaches at Oklahoma etc do.

Maturi is still a wrench on our BB and FB programs. I certainly hope he isn't renewed.

I wanted RW back as much as anyone, but Tubby made the call on the indefinite suspension, and I do not disagree with it. Could care less about what the coaches at Oklahoma etc do.

Do you know that for a fact? Maturi kept saying he couldn't play until all of his legal issues were 'resolved'. And they were never fully resolved. Common sense could have dictated that he could have at least played once all they charged him with was trespassing. That's not officially resolved, but you know that no serious charges will result. But no, we had to wait until he went through the song and dance of going to court for these minor charges. Chances our if Royce got a speeding ticket, Maturi wouldn't have let him play until he paid it and showed proof that the funds had been withdrawn from his bank account. Until then it's not resolved. (Yes I'm being sarcastic.)

If this was all Tubby's call that's one thing. But I don't think we know if that is the case. He's not going to throw Maturi under the bus and say so. His comments about how he understood Royce's frustration and the slow legal process being unfortunate indicate that it wasn't all his call.

Bottom-line for me is, I trust Tubby, I don't trust Maturi (for reasons not related to the current basketball team). And it's not clear to me that either Royce or Trevor's situations were Tubby's decision.

Lets not forget the film of Royce throwing the security guard to the ground. Twice. This was the big deal, not the shoplifting.

So what, did they think cause they beat Texas they could just treat themselves to a little something off the rack at Dillard's?

be careful, you might be walking on sacred ground with some people on this board when you question how Maturi handles Player misconduct in the Athletic department. You might be labeled a kentucky supporter,a Troll, or worse, someone called MISSEDLAYUP.........
Per tubby last week, he said Royce did everthing asked of him. I have been on record as saying we have a huge AD issue, and the handling of RW/TM issues and the overall department results highlight it. It is a shame because this basketball season did NOT have to be such a circus and disappointment.

A look at the Jimmy Williams situation knows you are dealing with a moron as far as Maturi is concerned. I'm not even sure that there was any direct proof that he ever did anything wrong at the U. Regardless, he had a 20 year spotless record and that idiot wouldn't allow him to be hired.

I want someone to track Oklahoma's academic standing and see if it suffers due to this. People here were convinced the U would be hurt because of what White did.

Top Bottom