Two Of The Best Coaches Face Off Today

Reaction score
Rick Pitino. This is his 23rd year of coaching.

1 NCAA title. 5 Final 4. 7 Sweet 16. 13 NCAA appearances in 22 years.

4 conference titles. 8 conference tournament championships.

73% career W-L record. 74% in NCAA games.

National COY in 1987.

Tubby Smith. 18th year of coaching.

1 NCAA title. 1 Final 4. 9 Sweet 16. 14 NCAA appearances in 17 years.

7 conference titles. 5 conference tournament championships.

72% career W-L record. 69% in NCAA games.

National COY in 2003.

Pitino leads head-2-head, 7 W to 4 L, versus Tubby. But Tubby is 4-2 this decade versus Pitino.

And what about the assistant coaches & trainers, eh?

Where do they rank on a head-to-head basis? It's always the little people that make wonderful contributions but who get overlooked.

Thanks FOT. As one with a great appreciation for useless knowledge, your statistical prowess is helpful!

FOT

I have seen a few predictions of today's game which expect the Gophs to be blown out by twenty or more points. I have also read much about Tubby's ability to prepare a team especially when he has this much time. A team as young and inexperienced as the Gophers could certainly be expected to be blown out by the #9 team. I would also expect a Tubby coached team to win or at the very least play a tough close game. Questions to you as the resident Tubby expert. Is Tubby as good at prepping a team as some say? Can a Tubby coached team get blown out? What do you expect today? What aspects of the game will you be most watching?

I expect Louisville to W by about 10 or so.

Just too much talent, experience, and depth for Cards.

In 2010 or 2011, different story.

Tubby has coached teams that suffered L by big margins.

Where do they rank on a head-to-head basis? It's always the little people that make wonderful contributions but who get overlooked.

Minnesota has a much stronger, more experienced staff of assistants, etc.

Louisville has relatively inexperienced coaches assisting Pitino this year.

Are they playing horse at half time to determine a winner?

They did that in the early 1990's - Pitino was the better offensive player and Tubby the better defender. The UK staff back then (Pitino, Tubby, Donovan, Willard, Sendek) could beat the UK team in 1990.

Has Pitino ever caught a sheepshead? Tubby caught two!!

Tubby: All right, Rick, I'm going to give you a chance to stay in the game. I have H-O-R-S, and I'm going to shoot a simple freethrow...

(Heads to the line...)

Swish...

Pitino: Ahh, no praablem.

(Heads to the line)

...CLANK

Tubby: That's H-O-R-S-E! I win! Looks like you don't make your freethrows any better than your team anymore!

They did that in the early 1990's - Pitino was the better offensive player and Tubby the better defender. The UK staff back then (Pitino, Tubby, Donovan, Willard, Sendek) could beat the UK team in 1990.

Defense in horse? You crazy purdue fans.

Amazing how close thier overal win % is, etc. Great win today for Tubby.

And, by all indications, two of the good guys in the sport. I've read more about Pitino this week than any other week I can remember, and I'm pretty impressed with what's been written. No doubt he creates a great working environment and teaches his assistants how it's done. The impresssion I get is of a big-hearted person.

And, by all indications, two of the good guys in the sport. I've read more about Pitino this week then any other week I can remember, and I'm pretty impressed with what's been written. No doubt he creates a great working environment and teaches his assistants how it's done. The impresssion I get is of a big-hearted person.

Professionally maybe (Big maybe.) He's not an out and out cheater but he's willing to bend the rules and cross a few ethical gray areas if he needs to. Something that Tubby isn't comfortable with but Donovan has made a living on down in Florida. Personally? He's a snake. I understand OTS's friendship as he gave him his break into the big time but Pitino is the prime example of the old adage "all is fair in love and war."

My type of match-up

Nice win for the young men who will give you their hearts over the young men who have visions of sugar plums (oops...I meant NBA) in their heads. Tubby's players won this match-up. The victory is sweeter for me.

Bench points-LOU 8,MINN 35.

Looks like depth is a pretty good thing. That should be a strength at least for now and in the near future.

There is no reason to criticize those 3 coaches, who are proven winners at the highest level of Div I basketball.

Ummm....where was I criticizing Coach Smith?

So fans, administration, etc are fair game but coaches are off limits even when they do things that could be considered ethically questionable? I find your position laughable and goes to show how biased you really are.

Gillispie, to his credit, abided by the NABC recommendation to not offer scholarships to players at the lower levels after having a conversation with Coach Smith. Billy Donovan? Ignored it.

Top Bottom