two bright spots, 1 not so bright spot

doctor j

Reaction score
Just to redirect the current theme of "fire Brewster" to some specific aspects of Saturday's game. I thought Bryant Allen and Marqueis Gray looked very good--2 v nice receiving prospects that will help us down the road. The biggest disappointment continues to be Adam Weber who continues to overthrow 50% or more of his receivers (an makes them vulnerable to huge hits), or throws balls behind receivers (witness the pass to Allen in 2nd half that should have been a touchdown pass but ended up as a 1st down only).

Bryant Allen did look good in the slot. Seems to have better hands than Stoudermire.

Gray has big-time wide receiver potential. Big-time as in Pro Bowl potential at the next level.

I agree on Allen looking solid as the #3 WR. Collado also filled in nicely for Stoudemire at KR.

Isn't it astonishing that Weber is now pretty much our all-time leading statistical passer in every category, but has so few wins to go with those numbers? Perhaps not so astonishing when I think back to how much jerking around he's had by the revolving door of coordinators he's worked with...

It would be interesting to see what Weber's statistics would have been had he not had two years in the spread. Of course, one year with the Fisch "Fire Drill" offense put a dent in Weber's spread numbers.

Although Weber's numbers are tops in school history, I have been very disappointed on a few specific plays this season that could have both been game changers. Against USD in the first quarter, there was a short yardage situation where we went play action. I believe that Weber hit Lair in the flat for a first down. The problem was that the safety bit on the run fake and he could have had McKnight across the middle for an easy touchdown (maybe 30 to 40 yards). Then, in a similar situation this weekend he hit Hoese in the flat for a nice gain off the play action for a first down. But what irked me was that, once again the safety bit and he had Lair down the seam for anther easy big play, more than likely a touchdown. Neither drive yielded points. Am I the only one who noticed these mistakes?

The USD one was early, but I think it would have put us up 10-0. The NIU one was in the 3rd quarter and I believe it would have put us in the lead.

It would be interesting to see what Weber's statistics would have been had he not had two years in the spread. Of course, one year with the Fisch "Fire Drill" offense put a dent in Weber's spread numbers.

Yeah, 4-years in the spread under Dunbar might have had him putting up Kliff Kingsbury-type numbers now. Who knows? Fisch really seemed to have set the offense back with his system last year.

Weber's really put up these #s with no semblance of a run game either in his 4 years at starter. I thought maybe this season, the run might take some pressure of Weber to convert so many 3rd and longs, but not so far.

Although Weber's numbers are tops in school history, I have been very disappointed on a few specific plays this season that could have both been game changers. Against USD in the first quarter, there was a short yardage situation where we went play action. I believe that Weber hit Lair in the flat for a first down. The problem was that the safety bit on the run fake and he could have had McKnight across the middle for an easy touchdown (maybe 30 to 40 yards). Then, in a similar situation this weekend he hit Hoese in the flat for a nice gain off the play action for a first down. But what irked me was that, once again the safety bit and he had Lair down the seam for anther easy big play, more than likely a touchdown. Neither drive yielded points. Am I the only one who noticed these mistakes?

The USD one was early, but I think it would have put us up 10-0. The NIU one was in the 3rd quarter and I believe it would have put us in the lead.

I agree that Weber's primary problem has been his inability to make consistent reads. That's why the spread works so well. Check-downs are easier.

Just to redirect the current theme of "fire Brewster" to some specific aspects of Saturday's game. I thought Bryant Allen and Marqueis Gray looked very good--2 v nice receiving prospects that will help us down the road. The biggest disappointment continues to be Adam Weber who continues to overthrow 50% or more of his receivers (an makes them vulnerable to huge hits), or throws balls behind receivers (witness the pass to Allen in 2nd half that should have been a touchdown pass but ended up as a 1st down only).

to be clear... Adam Weber makes mistakes. Would the team be better off with Joe Montana in his prime? Yep. For sure.

With that being said, you could sit back and watch that plane crash of a game within a train wreck of a season and declare that he is your "biggest disappointment"? Oh My GAWD!

In the game I watched, he had nearly 400 yards passing and 2 touchdowns. Could he have played better... YOU BETCHA. The game I watched had a lot bigger problems than the QB. And that goes for the season too. ADAM WEBER FALLS WAAAAAAAAAY DOWN THE LIST WHEN IT COMES TO PROBLEMS WITH THIS TEAM. He has been, and continues to be okay.

How does a guy that overthrows his target 50% of the time or throws behind his receivers manage to complete 31 of 46 attempts?

to be clear... Adam Weber makes mistakes. Would the team be better off with Joe Montana in his prime? Yep. For sure.

With that being said, you could sit back and watch that plane crash of a game within a train wreck of a season and declare that he is your "biggest disappointment"? Oh My GAWD!

In the game I watched, he had nearly 400 yards passing and 2 touchdowns. Could he have played better... YOU BETCHA. The game I watched had a lot bigger problems than the QB. And that goes for the season too. ADAM WEBER FALLS WAAAAAAAAAY DOWN THE LIST WHEN IT COMES TO PROBLEMS WITH THIS TEAM. He has been, and continues to be okay.

How does a guy that overthrows his target 50% of the time or throws behind his receivers manage to complete 31 of 46 attempts?

Don't count me among those who dog Weber. If Gray were the guy, he'd be playing.

Weber's a good kid and he hasn't been a terrible QB. He's better than he was last year. No question about it.

Don't count me among those who dog Weber. If Gray were the guy, he'd be playing.

Weber's a good kid and he hasn't been a terrible QB. He's better than he was last year. No question about it.

This. Weber is what he is: a solid, above-average college QB. Gray, while a fantastic athlete, must not even be close to Weber in terms of making the throws, reading a defense, calling audibles, and/or otherwise leading a team. If he were, he'd be starting--simple as that.

I say it a lot, and I'll say it again though: I wish we would've either a) kept the Mason-style offense (Weber would've been successful in that) or b) stayed in the spread. Both the "pro" style and the "smash 'em in the mouth" style have made him look worse than he is.

This. Weber is what he is: a solid, above-average college QB. Gray, while a fantastic athlete, must not even be close to Weber in terms of making the throws, reading a defense, calling audibles, and/or otherwise leading a team. If he were, he'd be starting--simple as that.

Are you really trusting this group of morons called a coaching staff to make an educated, correct decision such as this? I mean, they've been right about so many other things.

Top Bottom