Tweet: Assist Inflation by the Gophers home scorer is amazing. All their top assist games are at home, sometimes with insane numbers.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
23 assists on 25 FGs against Texas A&M CC may be a tad generous by an assist or two

Go Gophers!!

One of many, many complaints I have with the in game experience.

What a clown. Team moves the ball and looks for open man. No coincidence that high assist nights seem to coincide with high shooting percentage nights and low assist nights coincide with poor shooting games.

But if he is that worried about it, he should take a couple hours, rewatch one of the games and tally his own numbers. Assists in basketball are easy to track because the pass has to lead directly to a basket.

What a clown. Team moves the ball and looks for open man. No coincidence that high assist nights seem to coincide with high shooting percentage nights and low assist nights coincide with poor shooting games.

But if he is that worried about it, he should take a couple hours, rewatch one of the games and tally his own numbers. Assists in basketball are easy to track because the pass has to lead directly to a basket.
Read a few of his tweets and he appears to be a wisconsin fan. Typical red rat, scored a W last night and still wants to whine.

Funny how high assists also correlate with wins....

This. The joys of twitter. Some clown can spout off whatever they want with little or no evidence to back it up. The reasonable thing to do if he wants to complain is exactly what you propose- rewatch the 3 worst "over assisted" games and tally yourself, and tweet your results if they differ more than an assist or two from what the official scorer has. But that would require effort to actually make a point, which the twitters is grossly short on.

Ultimately it doesnt matter, you either win or lose, that said "cooking the books" 100% happens all the time at all levels. One game in high school we had a girl doing stats, she didnt know what a sack vs a tackle was, her boyfriend made the paper the next week with an amazing 8 sack game! I dont think he actually had 1 ha. You dont think harden knows the home score keeper and is making sure he get his stats? Again end of the day who really cares, the original tweet is obviously a Wisc fan. The small caveat I would say where it matters is Ben tells the scorekeeper, hey man pump up those numbers, you get a PG recruit who comes in lets say last year your top PG averaged 4.5 ast, but with a friendly book you get maybe say 6, you now tell that recruit "hey last year PG guy avg 18 and 6 a game, we see that for you!" sounds better than 18-4, especially in todays AAU era and I wouldnt blame any coach in the country for doing that, every small thing adds up.

Ultimately it doesnt matter, you either win or lose, that said "cooking the books" 100% happens all the time at all levels. One game in high school we had a girl doing stats, she didnt know what a sack vs a tackle was, her boyfriend made the paper the next week with an amazing 8 sack game! I dont think he actually had 1 ha. You dont think harden knows the home score keeper and is making sure he get his stats? Again end of the day who really cares, the original tweet is obviously a Wisc fan. The small caveat I would say where it matters is Ben tells the scorekeeper, hey man pump up those numbers, you get a PG recruit who comes in lets say last year your top PG averaged 4.5 ast, but with a friendly book you get maybe say 6, you now tell that recruit "hey last year PG guy avg 18 and 6 a game, we see that for you!" sounds better than 18-4, especially in todays AAU era and I wouldnt blame any coach in the country for doing that, every small thing adds up.
It is certainly an odd thing to get worked up about....I mean who really gives a crap if a team is credited with an extra assist or two? I have kept the stats for year's with my son's baseball team and will totally admit to "helping" the kids out at time with some favorable rulings.

That said, this is college basketball so would think there is some scrutiny on the numbers being submitted and if the scorekeeper was really inflating the numbers by a lot the way this yahoo is implying someone at the conference would have called them out on it. I would be shocked to learn that there is a big difference between what is being reported and the actual numbers.

Just for fun I took 5 minutes and watched this highlight video from our game with Texas CC

Video shows 16 of our 25 made baskets (my take)
10 - Definite Assist
4 - judgement call
2 - No Assist

So just off of that, would have to assume all the judgement calls went out way, but 14 of our 16 baskets on the video had an assist or a potential assist involved. So the 23 total doesn't seem outlandish considering that.

Technically when is a pass to the shooter no longer an assist, is it once someone puts the ball on the floor?

Technically when is a pass to the shooter no longer an assist, is it once someone puts the ball on the floor?
Based on what I saw the only requirement is that the pass led to the basket even if there is some dribbling involved. And there can only be one assist on the play. Seems like there is a fair amount of wiggle room though.

Well, at the High School Level, as I remember, the rule was that an assist is a pass that leads directly to a basket. But - and here is where my memory is fuzzy - I believe there was a stipulation that the player catching the pass and scoring could only dribble twice or something like that.

So, I pass to you and you dribble once and hit a jump shot = assist.

I pass to you at the top of the key, and you drive the lane, dribbling multiple times and make a layup = not an assist.

But, the key phrase is that the pass must lead directly to the bucket. there is some room for subjectivity on what leads directly to the basket.

Hmm interesting that the Gophers 2nd worst assist game was at Wisconsin....maybe Wisconsin is underscoring opponents? Just asking questions.

Based on what I saw the only requirement is that the pass led to the basket even if there is some dribbling involved. And there can only be one assist on the play. Seems like there is a fair amount of wiggle room though.
I mean technically that Loewe play is an assist then

I don't doubt that its inflated some, but for all of the WI beat writers to whine about it is funny. Big toe looking Bartholomew and Potrykus, another homer, with the dunks lol.

Imagine if these guys caught wind that the shots on goal are inflated at Penn State hockey.

The thing that continues to amaze me is how obsessed Badger fans are with all things Gophers.
When I saw this thread earlier in the week and then read that it inevitably came from the Badger camp, I found myself reflecting on what type of person/people would obsess over something so minute and unimportant. That it comes from a base that has had 25 years of unqualified success--Big Ten titles, long stints in the NCAA tournament, advancement to the title game (but aw shucks, never ultimately winning)--while the other program that the writer is obsessing about the assist totals in home games has largely been out in the metaphorical desert for that period of time. . .like what is wrong with that guy/those fans??? If the roles were reversed, I would take the greatest pleasure in not being aware of the faltering program at all. I'd be Don Draper. What a sorry bunch.

Naturally the state of hockey does basketball assists like hockey assists. I am surprised we don’t have more assists than made field goals

In football, is a completed pass considered an assist?🤔

Guys, I don’t think he’s truly pissed off. He finds it quirky and funny.

Also, he’s probably right:

i mean they're counting it both ways. go look at our opponent's assists on made baskets when playing against us as well.

Top Bottom