TV

Obviously BTN Plus is a cash grab, no doubt, since they could easily make it a part of BTN2Go, but let's stop with the "good ol' days" when you could watch every game on TV.

2006-07 (year before BTN): four home games were not televised at all, the two exhibitions were streamed on gophersports and two Big Ten games were shown tape delayed on FSN.

2005-06: five home games weren't televised or streamed

2004-05: five home games, including a conference game, weren't televised or streamed.

2003-04: three home games televised only on Victory Sports which pretty much no one got

2002-03: four home games not televised

2001-02: seven(!) home games not televised

Not to mention that entire B1G season was on channel 45, which meant anyone outside of the MSP market got almost no games.

The one solution I wish they would explore is allowing a local affiliate/FSN to carry the BTN+/ESPN3 games. They would likely get more from them than whatever pittance they would lose in subscriber fees.

Not to mention that entire B1G season was on channel 45, which meant anyone outside of the MSP market got almost no games.

The one solution I wish they would explore is allowing a local affiliate/FSN to carry the BTN+/ESPN3 games. They would likely get more from them than whatever pittance they would lose in subscriber fees.

There was a small number of years with the Victory Sports, channel 45 and FSN fiascos where we didn't have the best coverage. Doesn't change the fact that in the past we got virtualy every game.

Keep in mind that FOX is a partner in BTN. I have learned in the past that this has been discussed. Point is BTN is taking in a huge amount of money for the TV rights already. Do they really need to get more money to 'farm' out a Gopher game to a local station?.....

If nothing else use the student broadcast on a local affiliate....I would think that would be a pretty cheap production cost for a station.

There was a small number of years with the Victory Sports, channel 45 and FSN fiascos where we didn't have the best coverage. Doesn't change the fact that in the past we got virtualy every game.

Keep in mind that FOX is a partner in BTN. I have learned in the past that this has been discussed. Point is BTN is taking in a huge amount of money for the TV rights already. Do they really need to get more money to 'farm' out a Gopher game to a local station?.....

If nothing else use the student broadcast on a local affiliate....I would think that would be a pretty cheap production cost for a station.

I think Max's point is that it wasn't that much different pre-BTN. There were always 3-5 non-conference games that weren't televised. I suspect that was true even in the MSC days, but I'm not sure the data is available.

Now they're all available in some form, but there are 8 that aren't televised. That is an unusually high # this year, so I understand the frustration. It's especially bad that games against Arkansas and Vandy aren't televised.

They put the games on BTN+ because they don't use the BTN alternate channels for basketball. That's not going to change. Satellite time is expensive and most cable companies don't want to keep the channel open 365 days. The only alternative is to sell the games to local affiliates. Even then, there's no guarantee that FSN or a local channel is all that interested in a package of games that includes Mount St. Mary's and NJIT.

At the end of the day, I don't think this is going away. For many people (including me) the difference between ESPN2 and ESPN3 and BTN and BTN+ is which button on the remote I push. I realize it's not that way for everyone, but it is the direction that almost all television/media is going.

In 5 years, when we're watching the Vikings play the Packers on Tuesday Night Football streaming exclusively on Twitter, this thread will seem quaint.

Adding fuel to the fire, I was looking at the schedule and noticed the Vanderbilt game next Saturday is also not televised (ESPN3). So arguably our two best non-conference games, Arkansas and Vanderbilt are not televised. Very annoying.

What are u talking about? I just went through this years schedule there are 13 games which are not televised. Online or a channel nobody gets is not televised sorry. Good try though

What are u talking about? I just went through this years schedule there are 13 games which are not televised. Online or a channel nobody gets is not televised sorry. Good try though

Are you counting ESPNU? There are 8 games that are on BTN+ or ESPN3.

Where are you getting that from? Every conference game is televised, and 5 of the non-conference games are on an ESPN channel or BTN. Only 8 are not.

Top Bottom