Tubby's comments from presser before 1st game

GopherLady

Reaction score
I tweeted a lot of these, but thought you may be interested in some of his comments:

• Good afternoon, happy Halloween. I'm going t go to a party tonight, be a combination of Shooter and Sid, I may throw you in Marcus. Haha.
• Shooting was our Achilles heal last year, free throws, shoting in general. We've worked very hard to get more shots off in the past year. We're still not ready to announce who we're going to start. Trevor, Sampson, those are pretty much givens. Julian Welch turned his ankle yesterday, he may not be available for us tomorrow. That's our only health issue.
• We didn't put together any type of consistency at the end of the season last year.
• They have some good shooters and come good size.
• Andre Hollins has been playing well, as have all or our guards in the point guard spot. We need someone that can make everyone else better.
• You try to rotate people in, try to mix and match.
• Our press is different from their press, we haven't practiced any other press other than ours.
• If Hollins starts, he probably gains an edge over Welch. I will say Julian has been outstanding. Great assist to turnover ratio.
• I really like Bemidji, I enjoyed going up there, I had my picture taken with Paul Bunyon (smiling).
• I won't announce the starters yet, Mbakwe and Sampson are locks to start though.
If Hollins starts, he probably gains an edge over Welch. I will say Julian has been outstanding. Great assist-turnover ratio.
• JUCOs have a tougher time than freshman, because they have 3 systems under their belt. Julian's been through 4 systems.
• I'm not worried about starters, I'm more concerned about finishing. This year, everything is about finishing
• Tubby is looking for Rodney to have more consistency on and off the court. Pick it up on defensive end.
• Everyone has been pretty consistent, he's been impressed with our new players. Been happy with Hollins, Welch, Ingram, etc.
• Will be different than the last 1/2 of the season last year, I was bored! We didn't press at all the last 12 games.
• We'll be better because Ralph and Trevor will be much more consistent this year. We've got more people that can make outside shots.
• Our best shooter is Austin Hollins....Andre Hollins is shooting well, Joe and Julian Welch. They all are shooting well.
• Joe Coleman has the ability to score in so many ways. He wants to do it, he gets out and goes. He leads in steals, is relentless.

I love the press commnts, disappointed to hear the Welch had a setback with the ankle. I can't wait until tomorrow night to see the team in action. Thanks for the report.

I love the press commnts, disappointed to hear the Welch had a setback with the ankle. I can't wait until tomorrow night to see the team in action. Thanks for the report.

You're welcome. It didn't sound too serious. If he was still wondering if he could play, I doubt it was a bad sprain.
Really? Even if you were bored you shouldn't admit to it. not at $2,000,000 a year.

He was kidding! Tubby was pretty funny today.

Really? Even if you were bored you shouldn't admit to it. not at $2,000,000 a year.

Yeah....I'm pretty sure that was tongue firmly planted in cheek. He's simply saying he wasn't able to utilize any press that he wanted to because of the lack of guard depth, which shouldn't be a problem this year he presumes.

Would love to see Austin Hollins get that shot right when the games begin. It seems like it's there for him, but it just didn't translate well last season.

Top Bottom