Tubby's coaching? Give the players some love...

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
In all honesty...tonight was a huge win, but I have a question.

Why whenever we get a big win, it's usually because "Tubby did a great job!" And yet when we lose, Tubby and some GHers have blamed it on individual players, a lack of talent, etc.?

People need to realize that it's never entirely one way or the other, but this was a game where our guys just made plays and wanted it more...I didn't see anything revolutionary about Tubby's coaching or offensive/defensive schemes that made this game any different than some of our losses this year.

Give credit where credit is due, the players deserve some love after tonight's game just as much as the coaching staff with all the negativity they've dealt with this year (Tubby bemoaning their talent level publicly, losing teammates for various reasons, spells of lacking team chemistry, etc.).

Let's keep it up and get an even bigger W tomorrow against Purdue. :clap:

I didn't see anything revolutionary about Tubby's coaching or offensive/defensive schemes that made this game any different than some of our losses this year.

I think that's the most we've seen all year of the high pick-and-roll on offense. They ran it 100 times.

Why whenever we get a big win, it's usually because "Tubby did a great job!" And yet when we lose, Tubby and some GHers have blamed it on individual players, a lack of talent, etc.?

People need to realize that it's never entirely one way or the other, but this was a game where our guys just made plays and wanted it more...I didn't see anything revolutionary about Tubby's coaching or offensive/defensive schemes that made this game any different than some of our losses this year.

Give credit where credit is due, the players deserve some love after tonight's game just as much as the coaching staff with all the negativity they've dealt with this year (Tubby bemoaning their talent level publicly, losing teammates for various reasons, spells of lacking team chemistry, etc.).

Nice job and good perspective. But, I stand by the fact that Tubster knows what he's doing and is a good influence on these guys.

But, I stand by the fact that Tubster knows what he's doing and is a good influence on these guys.
I completely agree 100%.

I think Tubby is a great coach, know's what he is doing, etc. as well. Just trying to even out some of the extremeness that many exhibit on either a big loss or big win towards coaches vs. players.

I think that's the most we've seen all year of the high pick-and-roll on offense. They ran it 100 times.

I totally agree. Tubby out-coached Izzo tonight. The players deserve enormous credit but our offensive play calling looked better and we slowed their transition game down too. You could see his choices and they were good choices.

There's love for the players all over the board... can't Tubby get some too?

Way too much assuming going on here. Please consider the fact that when someone posts a positive message about the coach, it doesn't necessarily mean the poster believes there weren't good things done by the players as well. Sometimes a poster just wants to make a single point and be done with it. Like now.

Watching Tubby tonight I was struck by how animated he was in contrast to some of those earlier games when he just sat there and didn't look particularly interested. Maybe dangerous to assume from just observing, but the frustration and stress of dealing with all the crap of this season really looked like it had taken a toll on him. His on-court adjustments are evident. Wonder how much Tubby changed his approach and attitude towards his players off the court. Whatever--he's done a damn good coaching job at the end of the season to get them into this position.

Gopher players deserve lots of credit. They W 6 of past 8 games and are playing well.

The way the Gophers have been playing in this tournament, you have to give the coaches and the players credit. I believe after the BT awards were given out and the Gophers feel as though they were snubbed virtually all the way around. It looks to me that the players and coaches are taking it upon themselves to prove they are a team to be dealt with. Tubby was more animated, because he wants these games a little more with the snub... the players are feeling it as well, the players know they are a solid team, but they have had more drama both on the court and off the court this year and they finally are figuring out how to play as a team and take matters upon themselves to prove it.

I would look for a very solid game and I would also bet on Sampson showing up today. When we have our two big men in there feeding each other, look out. I have said for two years Iverson is a man, but people on this board thought he should be playing DII. He will be a great Big Ten player and is basically our first physical inside presence we have had since Harris in '98. I loved watching SAmpson and Iverson eat Becky alive and I think that is what we will see tonight.

Go Gophers!

The way the Gophers have been playing in this tournament, you have to give the coaches and the players credit. I believe after the BT awards were given out and the Gophers feel as though they were snubbed virtually all the way around. It looks to me that the players and coaches are taking it upon themselves to prove they are a team to be dealt with. Tubby was more animated, because he wants these games a little more with the snub... the players are feeling it as well, the players know they are a solid team, but they have had more drama both on the court and off the court this year and they finally are figuring out how to play as a team and take matters upon themselves to prove it.

I would look for a very solid game and I would also bet on Sampson showing up today. When we have our two big men in there feeding each other, look out. I have said for two years Iverson is a man, but people on this board thought he should be playing DII. He will be a great Big Ten player and is basically our first physical inside presence we have had since Harris in '98. I loved watching SAmpson and Iverson eat Becky alive and I think that is what we will see tonight.

Go Gophers!
Harris in 98? Eric Harris? The point guard?

Harris in 98? Eric Harris? The point guard?

That is what I was thinking, Eric Harris was good but not good enough to play the Point and Center at the same time. While we are at it I think Devoe Joseph is our best ball handler since Miles Tarver in 97

ShowinGoldyLove, I am begining to think that you are related to ART with your stupid posts lately. This is not NBA when coaches have no say. In college basketball, a good coach makes a good team. Have you forgotten how many bad shots Devoe used to take? Have you forgotten that Colt used to get 5 fouls in 5 minutes. These are the same players. They didn't magically wake up one day and said "ok, let play some good basketball now". It has been the hard work of coaching staff to get this team to where it is now so they do deserve most of the credit. As I said before, how would you feel if you were a Michigan fan and had two of the best players in the country and have a bad season like that?

That is what I was thinking, Eric Harris was good but not good enough to play the Point and Center at the same time. While we are at it I think Devoe Joseph is our best ball handler since Miles Tarver in 97

Aw man that is funny stuff! You got me rolling on that one.

Top Bottom