Tubby's Assistant Coaches....Should some heads roll?

GoGophers2005

Reaction score
I find it kind of amazing that not one of Tubby's assistants have been offered a head coaching position anywhere in the country. Is it because they suck or because they are loyal to Tubby?
Why is it that we never talk about the Tubby coaching tree, like say people do about a Rick Petino?

I don't know, its just my opinion, but I just feel that this staff is a bunch of fat cats living off Tubby and do not really bring much to the table.

I find it kind of amazing that not one of Tubby's assistants have been offered a head coaching position anywhere in the country. Is it because they suck or because they are loyal to Tubby?
Why is it that we never talk about the Tubby coaching tree, like say people do about a Rick Petino?

I don't know, its just my opinion, but I just feel that this staff is a bunch of fat cats living off Tubby and do not really bring much to the table.

That is a little harsher than I see it, but I do think we need one new top notch assistant. One that is an offense oriented coach and able recruiter. It's really hard to figure what effect the assistants have but you make a good point in that nobody is after ours - perhaps Vince Taylor has
had a few looks. You do tend to lose your assistants when you win big- something we have not done.

At least two of his coaches are failed head coaches and will never coach a DI team again. That does not make them bad assistants, but they are not going anywhere unless tubby wants them to leave.

At least two of his coaches are failed head coaches and will never coach a DI team again. That does not make them bad assistants, but they are not going anywhere unless tubby wants them to leave.

Jirsa and who else?

I'm not sure how far the coaching tree expands from Tubby's days at Tulsa/Ga/UK, but at the U I guess we can count Ryan Saunders under Tubby's coaching tree, as he's now an assistant for the NBA's Washing Wizards, and after a quick glance at his bio, it appears as if his contribution as a player and assistant were greater than I would have thought:

"Saunders comes to the Wizards after spending last year coaching under Tubby Smith at the University of Minnesota, where he helped the Golden Gophers to an NCAA Tournament appearance. In addition to his on-court work, he helped players with their academic and social development off the court.

Before moving to the sidelines, Saunders played four seasons at Minnesota, where he was a two-time team captain, four-time scholar athlete award winner and 2006 Big Ten All-Academic selection. He earned his bachelor’s degree in sport management and is currently pursuing his master’s degree in applied kinesiology."

http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/assistantcoaches_091104.html

Go Gophers!!

I'm not sure how far the coaching tree expands from Tubby's days at Tulsa/Ga/UK, but at the U I guess we can count Ryan Saunders under Tubby's coaching tree, as he's now an assistant for the NBA's Washing Wizards, and after a quick glance at his bio, it appears as if his contribution as a player and assistant were greater than I would have thought:

"Saunders comes to the Wizards after spending last year coaching under Tubby Smith at the University of Minnesota, where he helped the Golden Gophers to an NCAA Tournament appearance. In addition to his on-court work, he helped players with their academic and social development off the court.

Before moving to the sidelines, Saunders played four seasons at Minnesota, where he was a two-time team captain, four-time scholar athlete award winner and 2006 Big Ten All-Academic selection. He earned his bachelor’s degree in sport management and is currently pursuing his master’s degree in applied kinesiology."

http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/assistantcoaches_091104.html

Go Gophers!!
IALTO, Ryan Saunders :D

Don't you think we are missing good assistant coaches to develop the bigs? I am not saying Colt is setting the basketball court on fire, but with some proper developmental/technique coaching he would've add a lot of value to the team even as a reliever coming off the bench. We may miss him more than we think if EE & Mo don't get up to speed fast.

It is strange that we don't hear much about how good a job Tubby's assistance are doing in player development. Am I wrong about this? Compare Bo Wisky's coaching staff to Tubby's, and you know that is why some MN players choose to defect to the dark side to our east.

I wish Colton well. He is a good kid.

We've got start winning 20+ games and make further in the NCAA if we want to attract 5+ caliber talent. Otherwise, welcome to Minnesota where it is always winter.

Rick Pitino has been known to say that he doesn't hire assistant coaches - he hires future head coaches (including Tubby, it's worth noting). Whether that's right or wrong or the only way to do things, it's definitely worked for him. At least in the case of Ron Jirsa, Tubby re-hired someone who will be a career assistant from this point forward unless he drops a division. I don't mean for this to be a rip, because it takes all kinds, but based on what I know of Smith's personality, I'd consider him more likely to hire a yes man than to hire a dynamic, go-getting future flight risk.

Top Bottom