Tubby

Ualum

Reaction score
Stand up for your team just once!!!!!!!!
What are you doing!!!!!!
Trevor made a basket! Get the points like every other first tier coach would do!

My announcing is lagging behind but it looked like he was going crazy on the sideline when they didn't give us that basket. Still can't get over how terrible of a decision that was. I don't understand how they thought the ball could've come out. It obviously didn't hit the rim

The line-up I have been screaming for a while now:

Hoff
Chip
Austin
Mbakwe
Sampson

Still a good defensive team. The key here, is that we have offensive power. Sub Chip, Austin, and Ralph for Mav, Rod, and Colt. That is squad is a liability.

Stand up for your team just once!!!!!!!!
What are you doing!!!!!!
Trevor made a basket! Get the points like every other first tier coach would do!

I guess you didn't see it, but he was steaming mad at the refs, and let the ref know it.

we need tubby to do his thing! like Izzo, like Matta! Get off your butt!

Chip will end up leaving the program. Tubby seems to pick on him, and he's the only guy that can create his own shot.

31-35 now in B10 regular season games

The sad part is that is about where it will stay.

This is year 4 and Tubby is well into his style and players now.

Fans will say "wait until next year"
Next year it will be something else and another "wait until next year"

20 wins per year ( get a good start on those with early season cupcakes )
Finish in the middle of the Big Ten
Make the NCAA and get 1 win ( maybe )

Rinse and repeat "wait until next year"

Listen to announcers talk about Tubby getting 20 wins and what a great coach he is.
Repeat what announcers say.

"wait until next year"

The line-up I have been screaming for a while now:

Hoff
Chip
Austin
Mbakwe
Sampson

Still a good defensive team. The key here, is that we have offensive power. Sub Chip, Austin, and Ralph for Mav, Rod, and Colt. That is squad is a liability.

yeah.... this is my ideal lineup too

Listen to announcers talk about Tubby getting 20 wins and what a great coach he is.

"wait until next year"

I'm as upset as anybody about how things have gone this year, but is it really fair to imply that the "something else" is Tubby's fault? Who's fault is it that Al and Mo are hurt? That Devoe is a prima donna? I'm not giving up yet, but when you lose your starting and backup point guards in the span of a few weeks in the middle of the season, how much success can you expect to have?

I just don't see what Tubby could be doing that would improve the situation.

I'm as upset as anybody about how things have gone this year, but is it really fair to imply that the "something else" is Tubby's fault? Who's fault is it that Al and Mo are hurt? That Devoe is a prima donna? I'm not giving up yet, but when you lose your starting and backup point guards in the span of a few weeks in the middle of the season, how much success can you expect to have?

I just don't see what Tubby could be doing that would improve the situation.

I think as coach you end up getting credit for the product that gets put on the floor. How it happened doesn't end up being that relevant. If you are a coach coming off a championship year then you get more mulligans during a bad one (see Tom Izzo). We look like an 8-10 team right now (hope that changes). That would make 4 years straight not over .500 in Big Ten play. It's an upgrade from the previous coach but not what many expected at 2 mil a year. I'll grant Tubby this- it's been a couple of years of bad breaks. Too bad.

People always wanna point fingers, but really, there's no one person/event at fault here. It's just been a general string of bad fortunes and tough breaks for Gopher hoops the last couple of years. That, and Tubby really raised the bar quickly by walking in here and turning a 9 win outfit into a 20 win outfit. That said, each and every year, this team had done things and accomplished things it hadn't done in a long time. First year, he pulled off the upset of IU in the BTT. Second year, he beat Louisville, who ended up a top seed in the tourney and was his first top 10 win here. Last year, we won @ Illinois for the first time in forever, and made the tournament in back to back seasons for the first time in forever. This year, we beat a top 10 team at home for the first time in like 10 years. Tubby has done plenty so far, despite all the crap this program has gone through since the beginning of last season.

Is he earning his money? I'd actually say yes, he is. How many coaches in America could go through what Tubby has with this program the last two years and come out of it with some NCAA berths and potentially a third, and especially at a program who hasn't exactly lit the world on fire "legally", the last 20 years. He's raised the profile of Gopher hoops more than the vast majority of coaches could. Are we stagnant right now because of bad circumstances? Yes, but I'm still relatively optimistic about the future here if we can just get kids who can stay on the court.

"wait until next year"

What are you expecting? A bunch of 5 star recruits and A National Title? Any team would not be playing well under these conditions. Get real.

Perhaps most troubling is that Tubby has failed to address the most serious issues facing this year's team.

FT Shooting: It's not hard for a coach to recognize a glaring weakness and go to work on it...I realize, at a certain point, there's no way getting around the fact that he's assembled a team of bricklayers, but you CAN improve slightly if you demand more in practice. It's clear to me that Tubby hasn't been demanding anything.

Sloppy Play/Turnovers: Players simply don't value the basketball. How many times have we seen Ralph or Colton or Rodney get a rebound, only to be stripped by a guard and lose possession? How many other times have we seen Blake or another guard throw an ill-advised 30 foot pass up the baseline that forces a player to go out of bounds(even if Armelin was in)??? I've seen it at least once a game. Also, we're about 50% on turning the ball over when we inbound the ball under the opposing team's basket...We must be the worst team in America on simple inbounds passes. How hard is it to talk to the players about GRABBING the ball with a purpose and holding it with two hands and STRONG, like their lives depended on it. We lose 4 or 5 possession per game on sloppy play.

These are 2 areas that would have saved us in the IU game, yesterday's game and perhaps the Wisconsin game as well.

Nevermind missing Nolen and Joseph! If Tubby would just go to work on these 2 things, the Gophers would be a tough team to beat.

The FT is annoying, but there have been teams that have been awful FT teams who have won games, 2008 Memphis comes to mind, but we're not that good to "afford" that liability.

The turnovers, annoy me most. Hoff can't handle ball pressure at the top of the key and EVERY team knows it so they kill him all game up there. we need to start running the floor more and getting into our offense BEFORE they pressure the ball. Work on outlet passing from the bigs.

Our passing sometimes looks great, but a lot of the time it is sloppy and forced. you can't pass a ball to a 7 footer's knees and expect good. These players need to start doing some fingertip pushups and do some more forearm workouts because they do not ahve nearly strong enough hands. watch how many times balls get slapped away, foul or no foul.

Pass and screen away. Basketball basics.

Top Bottom