Tubby - "We expect to have everyone from this year back next year"

How many guys does Tubby need sitting on the bench? Does he want to run a third line out on the court?

The Gophers have an opportunity to be relevant in the B1G next year. To do so they have to add Mbakwe and possibly Lockett. That means 2 players now on scholarship have to go plain and simple. Otherwise the battle cry will be "Nice guys finish last." There are 3 players who will not play meaningful minutes next year or be a part of any future team: Armelin, Mav and Ingram. Hopefully they will see the light and decide to go some place where they can play. If not, Tubby needs to make the tough choice to offer those players walk-on status or move on. He is saying the politically correct thing for now as they do not need this distraction while they are vying for the NIT title. Officially Mb has not declared that he is coming back nor has Lockett said he is coming to the U. IMO those announcements will happen after the NIT.

Out of the 3 you list, Ingram and Mav are the ones that will really lose the minutes.

If Tubby knows or even suspects that someone isn't coming back,there's no way that he says anything when there are still games to play.

Section201 said:
How many guys does Tubby need sitting on the bench? Does he want to run a third line out on the court?

Lol well done

The Gophers have an opportunity to be relevant in the B1G next year. To do so they have to add Mbakwe and possibly Lockett. That means 2 players now on scholarship have to go plain and simple. Otherwise the battle cry will be "Nice guys finish last." There are 3 players who will not play meaningful minutes next year or be a part of any future team: Armelin, Mav and Ingram. Hopefully they will see the light and decide to go some place where they can play. If not, Tubby needs to make the tough choice to offer those players walk-on status or move on. He is saying the politically correct thing for now as they do not need this distraction while they are vying for the NIT title. Officially Mb has not declared that he is coming back nor has Lockett said he is coming to the U. IMO those announcements will happen after the NIT.

Respectfully, the Gophers make the dance without either one next year, and contend for the B1G the following two seasons. As I have posted previously, I would guess Tubby already has a tender lined up for the Beast. Everyone has known this was a possibility since November. This is not Tubby's first rodeo. Why would we destroy future recruiting by cutting kids?

Although I'm somewhat dazed at our recent good furtune, I believe they will find a way for all those who want to wear the M&G to be on the team, without cutting anyone.

I for one won't miss Mav next year. He seems like a good guy, not a B1G talent though. Unfortunately for Chip we can't play Nebraska every game and he's not defensive minded enough to play big minutes for Tubby.

I for one won't miss Mav next year. He seems like a good guy, not a B1G talent though. Unfortunately for Chip we can't play Nebraska every game and he's not defensive minded enough to play big minutes for Tubby.

I would be careful with letting Maverick go. He is a point guard option and he could be a nice back up in two years after Welch graduates after next season. Last thing we want is to be thin at point guard again. I also think Armelin is going to become a pretty dynamic player in the next couple of years. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I would be careful with letting Maverick go. He is a point guard option and he could be a nice back up in two years after Welch graduates after next season. Last thing we want is to be thin at point guard again. I also think Armelin is going to become a pretty dynamic player in the next couple of years. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I know for a fact Tubby does not encourage players to transfer. He's a man of his word so when he gives a guy a schollie, it's for 4 years unless the player screws it up somehow. Now Ingram being a native of Minnesota as well as Lockett there's avenues for guys like this if they are good students. I don't think Trent was ever really recruited by MN which would meet criteria for an academic scholarship

13 scholarships per team. 2 recruits(Buggs and Wally) who were to take the place of the presumed graduating Ralph and Mbakwe. If Mbakwe comes back and Lockett transfers in 2 players need to go. Howler-I agree the Gophers have a solid chance to make the tourney but to contend for the B1G they need Mb and possibly Lockett.

I know for a fact Tubby does not encourage players to transfer. He's a man of his word so when he gives a guy a schollie, it's for 4 years unless the player screws it up somehow. Now Ingram being a native of Minnesota as well as Lockett there's avenues for guys like this if they are good students. I don't think Trent was ever really recruited by MN which would meet criteria for an academic scholarship

I was hoping this would be the case, I think it really sends the wrong message to cut a player that has no desire to leave. I think Locket ends up at Iowa State or one of the DII schools, Winona State???

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/4440026

The above article outlines a situation where Nebraska was allowed to have 14 players on scholarship. It was much different than the Mbakwe case, but it shows that the NCAA has prevously allowed a team a 14th scholarship (for those that don't want to read the article Nebraska had a German recruit who they though was inelgible and they committed to giving his scholarship to another player, then they found out the German player was a qualifier). In the Nebraska situation, the NCAA mandated that Nebraska redshirt a player (which would be no problem for the Gophers with Buggs likely needing a RS season).

I don't want to take a stance on whether or not the NCAA will allow the Gophers a 14th scholarsip for next year, but it just doesn't seem like something that would be likely to happen. My guess is that one or more Gophers will transfer, but that Tubby is attempting to throw the media off that track until the season is over.

You better hope that when you sell your soul, you do more than make the round of 32. There is no doubt that we'd be a better team next season with Mbakwe and Lockett rather than Mav, Ingram, or Chip. However, this program exists beyond next year. What happens when next season is over and we have a coach who is known for cutting players who had been in the program for 2+ years?

For real? I can buy the not cutting a scholarship angle, but I can't buy the Maverick "nice back up" angle. I think that you could find multiple players in intra-mural who could come close to what Mav does

With the success of Devoe and Cobbs in a weak and wide open Pac 12, is there any chance Mav and/or Chip may unilaterally be enticed to try that option? Were either of them tight with Cobbs? Just a thought.

You better hope that when you sell your soul, you do more than make the round of 32. There is no doubt that we'd be a better team next season with Mbakwe and Lockett rather than Mav, Ingram, or Chip. However, this program exists beyond next year. What happens when next season is over and we have a coach who is known for cutting players who had been in the program for 2+ years?

Way too much hand wringing. If cutting players causes to miss out on marginal spring rercuits like some of the aforementioned, than so be it. Maybe it will cause him to be more disciplined on that front

Way too much hand wringing. If cutting players causes to miss out on marginal spring rercuits like some of the aforementioned, than so be it. Maybe it will cause him to be more disciplined on that front

Who says it will cause us to just lose out on spring recruits? Appears local kids are going to start filling more of our needs shortly. Would you send your son to a school where he may be cut after 2 years if the coach feels he can find a better player?

Who says it will cause us to just lose out on spring recruits? Appears local kids are going to start filling more of our needs shortly. Would you send your son to a school where he my be cut after 2 years if the coach feels he can find a better player?

Exxxxactly. That's a slippery slope. Our program is at a crossroads here with the potential for a lot of future success, but I certainly hope Tubby's not willing to set that precedent for the program.

Top Bottom