Tubby wants more vocal leadership, praises Kevin Payton

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Tubby on lacking vocal leadership: "They're like mummified"
The Gophers snapped a two-game skid with a 72-45 win against Northwestern on Sunday, but Tubby Smith is still searching for a vocal leader among the veteran starters.

Smith thought the lack of communication on the court was a serious issue, but he poked fun at how quiet starting guards Al Nolen and Lawrence Westbrook were at times.

"They're like mummified half the time," he said. "We have to find a way to pry their mouths open."

The vocal leadership has come from different players such as sophomore Paul Carter, junior Kevin Payton and freshman Devoe Joseph, Smith said.

"That's one of the elements that we lack right now," he said, "That ability to talk and help each other out on the court, but we're getting better."

The return of Payton to practice last week from an academic suspension seemed helpful against the Wildcats.

"He's very vocal," Smith said. "We haven't had that at all since he's been gone. He's always talking; he just won't shut up. But that's good. He's talking to the players. He's telling them things. We kind of missed that."

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/02/tubby_on_lacking_vocal_leaders.html

Go Gophers!!

Interesting thoughts from Tubby. Maybe Damien needs to assert himself?

Also, it might be hard for any one person to assume that role as so many guys are getting time. If I were Paul Carter, I'd feel strange in the role of "vocal leader" because it is my first year with the team. But, his desire bodes well for the future. Paul Carter works hard.

Thanks Bleed.

Interesting thoughts from Tubby. Maybe Damien needs to assert himself?

Also, it might be hard for any one person to assume that role as so many guys are getting time. If I were Paul Carter, I'd feel strange in the role of "vocal leader" because it is my first year with the team. But, his desire bodes well for the future. Paul Carter works hard.

Thanks Bleed.

Yeah, PC's intensity and work ethic reminds me a bit of KG. I'm not comparing the talent levels at all - but I think he could really morph into that guy who drives everyone to work harder and is a vocal leader.

Kevin Payton becomes acedemically ineligable and gets suspended > The Gophers go on a drought, losing 6 of 9 > Kevin Payton comes back > Gophers notch one of the biggest wins by point margin this year.....Coincedense?

Kevin Payton becomes acedemically ineligable and gets suspended > The Gophers go on a drought, losing 6 of 9 > Kevin Payton comes back > Gophers notch one of the biggest wins by point margin this year.....Coincedense?

Yes. Northwestern was god awful. did you see the layups they were missing? They looked like a NU team instead of that NU team playing out of their mind lately.

No coincidence. KP is tha MAN!

Yes. Northwestern was god awful. did you see the layups they were missing? They looked like a NU team instead of that NU team playing out of their mind lately.

In the words of a famous U of M drop out "Don't criticize what you can't understand".
Payton means more to this team then any of us can imagine.

In the words of a famous U of M drop out "Don't criticize what you can't understand". Payton means more to this team then any of us can imagine.

+1. Talk to guys on the team. He's among every player's favorite guys. He's an affable guy who understands his role, which is minimal when it comes to being on the floor during the game, but is much greater when it comes to being on the bench during games with his teammates and being on the practice floor.

+1. Talk to guys on the team. He's among every player's favorite guys. He's an affable guy who understands his role, which is minimal when it comes to being on the floor during the game, but is much greater when it comes to being on the bench during games with his teammates and being on the practice floor.

I agree with the above thoughts ... but can someone explain why when these same things are said about JAS people just go nuts about how that isn't good enough ... taking a spot on the team, etc ... and just being a good guy isn't enough.

I agree with the above thoughts ... but can someone explain why when these same things are said about JAS people just go nuts about how that isn't good enough ... taking a spot on the team, etc ... and just being a good guy isn't enough.

Because they aren't true about him.

Because they aren't true about him.

Jamal isn't a good person? Or are you saying that he's not vocal? Because I'm not sure what evidence you have of that. All I know is that when I watch the games, Jamal seems to be one of the most outspoken and enthusiastic Gophers. I think he's been a pretty good captain.

Are you really trying to compare Jamala and Payton in terms of leadership and intangible importance to the team?

He's a captain for the same reason Williams is.

Top Bottom