Tubby Smith - SN Coach of the Year

Saw this headline today and started laughing, imagining the bleep-storm to follow on Gopher hole as we get to do our favorite dance all over again - arguing the merits of former coaches vs. present coaches.

I did see a quote from Tubby, something to the effect that "maybe MN did me a favor by firing me."
And, it could well be true that getting the boot by Teague woke Tubby up and got him away from the
(apparently) complacent attitude he had in the last couple years at MN.

I never thought Tubby was a bad coach. I just questioned his choice of assistants. He needed a younger, fire-brand type to be a lead recruiter and provide some contrast to Tubby's more laid-back style. If he would have had that type of assistant instead of Saul, he might still be at MN.

Meh. I liked the fact that he enjoys jazz. I wasn't thrilled with perpetual mediocrity. Minnesota can do better (maybe not with Pitino, but we can do better.).

Meh. I liked the fact that he enjoys jazz. I wasn't thrilled with perpetual mediocrity. Minnesota can do better (maybe not with Pitino, but we can do better.).

Right on, this is my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, three years later Texas Tech is much better off than we are. They were a lot worse off than us when Tubby took over. I'm sick of hearing him bashed. This is the exact thing that happened when Mason got fired and Brewster took over. Everyone was enamored because of his recruits' ratings. Look how that turned out. Those mean nothing! I wouldn't be shocked if we end up losing kids due to this year. Like Tubby or not, he has done an incredible job at Tech while Pitino is a joke who is in over his head.

Good Coach - I knew we would regret that decision.....

Tubby Smith's knack for rebuilding earns him Sporting News Coach of the Year

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...l-coach-of-the-year-sporting-news-tubby-smith

I'm happy for Tubby and hope he continues to do well but it doesn't change the 46-62 record in Big Ten play (20-34 in years 4-6) and recruiting being pretty bad his last few years. What has happened since doesn't change my opinion. His firing and the Pitino hiring are two different things. Tubby can go to the sweet 16 this year and it wouldn't change my mind about his time at MN.

It's looking more and more like we'll regret hiring Pitino but that is a separate thing.

9 straight seasons without finishing above .500 in conference play

How much of resume "gem" is TSN College Coach of the Year? Top 3 publication COY? 1,000 times better than USA Today?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm happy for Tubby and hope he continues to do well but it doesn't change the 46-62 record in Big Ten play (20-34 in years 4-6) and recruiting being pretty bad his last few years. What has happened since doesn't change my opinion. His firing and the Pitino hiring are two different things. Tubby can go to the sweet 16 this year and it wouldn't change my mind about his time at MN.
[/QUOTE
i agree with this take also. Tubby would not have been COY with Buggs, Wally, Alvin Ellis III, Foster and Joe Coleman as his recruits. He needed to get a wake up call and get a little fire back.
Now part of the reason he lost his fire might have been the promises that were made and not followed up on and some of it might have been his health issues he went through at about year 5 and other things we don't know about but i think it is safe to say Tubby would not be COY if he was still at MN this year.
The hiring of Pitino is a seperate issue-- and I like Pitino and I think he will be fine but there are alot of things that coaches learn from losses and tough personnel situations. Most coaches get to learn as an assistant for a few years. Pitino has to learn those lessons on his own and in the bright lights and hot seats. I would guess you could ask most of the top coaches if they were ready to be a great coach at age 32 and they would all say no.

It's looking more and more like we'll regret hiring Pitino but that is a separate thing.

Harrumph!

There is no arguing merits. One has a slew of them, the other has none. However, moving on from Tubby had to take place as he had little juice here the past 3 years and was not doing well on the recruiting trail. It did not mean Pitino had to be hired. The people making the hiring decisions at the U have been inept for a long time. Now is the time to give Pitino one more year. If he can not get to .500 after year 4 he simply did not get the job done. There are tons of guys out there that would get that done by year 3 starting from nothing. MSU has an assistant who would do it. A greg Gard would have taken this job 3 years ago and basketball people knew he had done serious heavy litfting at UW for a long time as a great evaluator and teacher with rock solid recruiting relationships.

Many of us.

I don't doubt that. Thanks for clarifying.

It's a lock IMO, the Gophers wouldn't be sitting at 2-16 with Tubby at the helm. But IMO, he'd be at year nine without an above .500 finish in the Big Ten. Glad Tubby moved on. (learned on this board to always add IMO)

Congrats to coach Smith, but it doesn't erase the memories of watching the worst offensive game plans I've seen.

We would be in no better condition than we are now if we had kept Tubby. He simply stopped bringing in quality basketball players.

A good portion of the blame for our current state of the program is because we do not have one quality junior or senior that he brought in.

Nothing like being fired to motivate you at your next job.

Tubby was too comfortable here.

Extremely happy for Tubby. I think a lot of what demotivated him was the lack of facilities he'd been begging for and just player trouble. Has to be draining. I went either way on his firing, and I'm still okay with the move.

Sometimes fit just isn't there with a boss/department and in this case it does seem the U was more to blame. Regardless, Tubby has found success and the U has a big AD hire coming up as well as facilities ground broken. Whether or not Pitino is the right guy, MN seems to have an opportunity here to right some of the poor management while Tubby was here.

Good luck to Tubby and can't wait to see what Richard can do here next season.

He might be the first NCOY to finish in 7th place out of 10 in his conference since Denny Green.

For many reasons Tubby was unable to keep some of his better players on campus and on the team.
I suspect the academic and discipline standards at TX Tech are less siringent than they are at MN.

You have a point if you ignore what the AD did in keeping players off the court seasons at a time. [emoji41]

For many reasons Tubby was unable to keep some of his better players on campus and on the team.
I suspect the academic and discipline standards at TX Tech are less siringent than they are at MN.

Maturi is not the AD is the real reason.

Nothing like being fired to motivate you at your next job.

Tubby was too comfortable here.
Why do we have to fire someone to make them motivated in their next you? Why can't we make them motivated with our job?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Why do we have to fire someone to make them motivated in their next you? Why can't we make them motivated with our job? Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Because we don't complain enough on message boards? :) kidding. Sorry.

IMO a good boss can motivate his/her employees to be more passionate and caring about their job. Maybe Joel just wasn't a great motivator and leader?

Because we don't complain enough on message boards? :) kidding. Sorry.

IMO a good boss can motivate his/her employees to be more passionate and caring about their job. Maybe Joel just wasn't a great motivator and leader?

Well empty promises have away of doing that. Anyways great for Tubby, glad he made the Red Raiders respectable. Guy was nothing but class when he was here. We haven't had much success post Clem but I truly believe Monson, smith and Pitino are good people and are about the right things

Although Maturi not being the AD didn't keep Mason, McBrayer, or Dorsey on the court.

No, suspending folks for what they do legally in privacy is keeping them off the court.

Posting someone's sex tape for the world to see makes them a victim.

Many of us.
597c7b8a4f0cafb94b981e7daaf4870b.jpg

Top Bottom