Tubby Smith rips into 12-th ranked Gophers after loss to Northwestern

Al Nolen on twitter was saying how hard it is to break the 1-3-1. Tubby was in Ohio Friday recruiting to say Vince Taylor does all the recruiting is dumb. Wojo does a lot of the recruiting at Duke.

Northwestern is the only B1G team to never make the NCAA tournament. The 1-3-1 can't be that hard to break when other teams consistently break it with less athleticism. Obviously Al Nolan knows more than I do but that tweet is a tough one to swallow; especially when their best player, Drew Crawford, is injured.

I've said it on here many, many times and I'll say it again. Tubby teams at Minnesota have always been mentally fragile. They are always basket cases and it's just one big emotional rollercoaster. That's 100% on Tubby. He sets the tone and the culture of the program. These are all his players. His teams fold at the site of adversity and it takes them a long time to dig out of it. There were so many hesitant players out there last night. There were players playing trying not to mess up instead of trying to create. There were players afraid to shoot.

I agree to point Pewter. We have had a history of being mentally fragile under Tubby, no doubt. But what throws me for a loop this season is the gut punch this group took from IU in the first half, and their second half response. Ditto when Michigan State made a 2nd half run on us at home. What I saw last night was a total lack of leadership on the floor. Mbakwe was pretty effective, and should have been demanding the ball damn near every possession. Rodney's game could have opened up if we could get Trevor the ball more than once every 5 possessions. And neither of our 2 seniors really seemed to want to lead on the floor, even after it was clear that Dre was not going to be leading on the offensive end. Those two have got to step up their court leadership, if getting to the Tourney if their goal.

Recruit some shooters! Missing wide open shots - mostly bricks - and layups (Joe, Ingrim, Mo and Rodney)!!! Free throws - if we miss the front end of a 1 and 1 (Trevor - 3 times) it hould be a turnover stat... and missing 2 fts the same.... Argh!!!!!!!!!! Should have been ahead at half by 20!!! And of course giving up the score before half has become a tradtion in Gopherville!!!

We have two very good shooters in Andre and Austin. They had really bad nights last night. It happens. Seth Curry of Duke went 0-10 last night. I'm not making an excuse. But to say we don't have shooters is ridiculous.

The two things that disappoint me the most about the game are the 1-3-1 zone (Tubby's fault) and the players essentially quitting at times (players fault). It's a team effort, win or lose.

Most of last night's game fleshed out the stuff I've been harping on for 3 years now. Our players don't value the ball. Our players are not smart with the ball and our coach doesn't seem to coach them very well. Other teams improve during the course of a season. We always seem to regress and implode. The only conclusion to this house of horrors that a logical person can come up with is that Tubby has is not a big time coach. There are probably 50 coaches in the metro area who could have prepared the Gophers better for that 1-3-1. Most of this board could have.

Tubby needs to go to USC, retire or get fired. I'm done with Tubby.

USC isn't going to hire him. He's not going to retire and they aren't going to buy out a new four year deal. (I will never, ever understand that contract extension. How he or his agent convinced Kaler, Maturi and Woody that his body of work at the U was worthy of an extension and the best shot of landing Tyus, et. al. was through him is as mysterious as the origin of the universe.) This situation has Monson markings all over it.

We have two very good shooters in Andre and Austin. They had really bad nights last night. It happens. Seth Curry of Duke went 0-10 last night. I'm not making an excuse. But to say we don't have shooters is ridiculous.

The two things that disappoint me the most about the game are the 1-3-1 zone (Tubby's fault) and the players essentially quitting at times (players fault). It's a team effort, win or lose.

I don't think that the players quit. I think that they got frustrated and discouraged. There's more than a semantical difference between the two. Players quitting means that you have a bad group of guys on the team and I don't think that's the case here. Frustrated and discouraged means that they ran into a situation for which they weren't prepared and they handled it poorly. That's partially on the players and partially on the coaches.

Bad- Honestly I think that goes more to his poor coaching style than his recruiting. I think that with Welch, Elliason and Ellenson you have the makings of a nice top 8 which includes a combo guard a wing and a big. But he comes out with these silly line changes putting all subs on the floor. I think this hurts the confidence and development of your better bench players. All of the sudden your 6th best player is forced into a scorers role when all of the subs are out there together. Now finally, Tubby is realizing that he has to spot guys in- starting with Welch and Welch is playing a little better when in with the starters. Go figure.

Why is everyone so high on Ellenson? I have a cousin who coached in the same area that he attended high school, and he said that Ellenson cannot shoot the ball. He is a great jumper, and a nice kid, but his competition in high school was sub-par, and Wisconsin didn't even want him. My understanding is that the Gophers only took Wally to get his much more talented younger brother to commit in the future. Don't be surprised if he never plays much.

Why is everyone so high on Ellenson? I have a cousin who coached in the same area that he attended high school, and he said that Ellenson cannot shoot the ball. He is a great jumper, and a nice kid, but his competition in high school was sub-par, and Wisconsin didn't even want him. My understanding is that the Gophers only took Wally to get his much more talented younger brother to commit in the future. Don't be surprised if he never plays much.

I'll be very surprised if he doesn't play much. I also don't think any college coach worth his salt would take a kid and occupy a roster spot for three years knowing he couldn't cut it- just to have a 50/50 chance to recruit his brother. If Wally doesn't play here- chances are his brother won't be coming here either.

Tubby has some blame for this loss, but don't believe the ANTI-hype about Northwestern being a team that ABSOLUTELY had to be beat.

TWO other Top 40 ranked(RPI) teams found that they couldn't beat Northwestern in their own home courts.

NW could end up as a Tournament bound team by the end of the season?!

They have MORE games vs Top 15(RPI) ranked teams than any other team in the country.

They have MORE WINS vs Top 50(RPI) ranked teams than NCSU & Indiana and the same # of wins vs Top 50(RPI) ranked teams as Wichita St, Michigan St, Syracuse, Louisville, Minnesota, Florida and Michigan.

Their worst loss is not worse than Wichita St's worst loss.

They have a loss vs 15-4 Maryland & a 2 pt loss to Stanford, whom we only beat by 3 pts.

Tubby has some blame for this loss, but don't believe the ANTI-hype about Northwestern being a team that ABSOLUTELY had to be beat.

TWO other Top 40 ranked(RPI) teams found that they couldn't beat Northwestern in their own home courts.

They have MORE games vs Top 15(RPI) ranked teams than any other team in the country.

They have MORE WINS vs Top 50(RPI) ranked teams than NCSU & Indiana and the same # of wins vs Top 50(RPI) ranked teams as Wichita St, Michigan St, Syracuse, Louisville, Minnesota, Florida and Michigan.

They have a loss vs 15-4 Maryland & a 2 pt loss to Stanford, whom we only beat by 3 pts.

Tubby- before the game said- MUST win. That's a quote.

It's not that they lost, it's how they lost and the same issues raising their ugly head.

station - I actually agree with that statement. But what I'm seeing is a bunch of Pat Ruesse wannabes among the Gopher faithful. Stressing the bad, and EXAGGERATING negatives, as if to make up for, or to make sure they are never identified as stupid homers who couldn't see the bad season coming. It's like they don't want to find anything positive about the team, our opponent, our coach.

station - I actually agree with that statement. But what I'm seeing is a bunch of Pat Ruesse wannabes among the Gopher faithful. Stressing the bad, and EXAGGERATING negatives, as if to make up for, or to make sure they are never identified as stupid homers who couldn't see the bad season coming. It's like they don't want to find anything positive about the team, our opponent, our coach.

Reusse has been high on this team all year. Has predicted a Gopher win every Big Ten game I believe....not 100% positive about Indy but for sure Mich and NW. I'll be intersted to hear what he has to say coming up at 12 Noon on espn1500 today.

BTW you can call me 19, both of my friends do.:)

If Tubby can't win games like last night's now, with this group of players, when will he?

Tubby has done some nice things at the University of Minnesota and restored some pride in the program that really slipped since the academic scandal. I will be forever greatful for him coming to a low-profile job and improving the talent and team. But there's always a but....and in this case, he's just not a very capable coach when it comes to teaching the x's and o's. Our players are never smart and always turn the ball over waaaaaaay too much.

I know we are stuck with him...The buyout is too expensive for the administration. If I had 10 million in my bank account, I'd give Tubby about 5 million to get his retirement and then I'd offer Stevens the other 5 mil to come here and keep Tyus Jones and Vaughn home. Too bad we don't have a "Phil Knight" type alum who could be called upon.

They've beaten one team in current top 25: The Gophers. Northwestern also lost to the University of Illinois-Chicago. They also lost by 20 to Iowa at home. They're not a team the Gophers should lose to, much less score a total of 48 points. Northwestern is not good. This loss for the Gophers was not good.

Northwestern has never made the dance so it's hard to say that they might make the tourney this year based on one win over the Gophers.

After a Gopher FB loss, Jerry Kill always says "I'm the head coach - it's my responsibility."

Just once, after a loss, I'd like to here Tubby come out and say, "I'm the head coach - It's my responsibility," without blaming his players.

After a Gopher FB loss, Jerry Kill always says "I'm the head coach - it's my responsibility."

Just once, after a loss, I'd like to here Tubby come out and say, "I'm the head coach - It's my responsibility," without blaming his players.

Agree 100%

If Tubby can't win games like last night's now, with this group of players, when will he?

Tubby has done some nice things at the University of Minnesota and restored some pride in the program that really slipped since the academic scandal. I will be forever greatful for him coming to a low-profile job and improving the talent and team. But there's always a but....and in this case, he's just not a very capable coach when it comes to teaching the x's and o's. Our players are never smart and always turn the ball over waaaaaaay too much.

I know we are stuck with him...The buyout is too expensive for the administration. If I had 10 million in my bank account, I'd give Tubby about 5 million to get his retirement and then I'd offer Stevens the other 5 mil to come here and keep Tyus Jones and Vaughn home. Too bad we don't have a "Phil Knight" type alum who could be called upon.

That's the scary part. These time of games were supposed to be in the bag this year. Would anybody hear rather have the same roster that Northwestern had last night? Heck, I would not swap any of our starters last night for their counterpart in last night's Northwestern lineup. Our players are better than theirs, for whatever reason, Tubby got outcoached (how the heck did we not have an answer for the 1-3-1?!?!) and did not have his players in the right state of mind. I hope he started a practice after the game last night and the practice is still going on now. That team did not do any work during the game, so they should be making it up.

So I'm not basing it on one win over the Gophers, but on THREE wins vs Top 50 ranked teams, including TWO ROAD wins.

I'm not predicting its going to happen, just saying that its not out of the realm of possibility.

They have almost a comparable resume to Wichita St.

So I'm not basing it on one win over the Gophers, but on THREE wins vs Top 50 ranked teams, including TWO ROAD wins.

I'm not predicting its going to happen, just saying that its not out of the realm of possibility.

They have almost a comparable resume to Wichita St.

Wichita State's RPI is 15th. That's hardly comparable to Northwestern's 82nd.

Northwestern overall rankings for 2012/13:

PPG: 240th in the nation
RPG: 272nd in the nation
APG: 42nd in the nation
FG%: 226th in the nation

Gophers:

PPG: 44th in the nation
RPG: 19th in the nation
APG: 20th in the nation
FG%: 41st in the nation

The Gophers rank in the top 50 in all categories. Furthermore, the Gophers are in the top 50 in all categories while having a top 10 RPI. On the other hand, Northwestern ranks with some of the worst teams in the country with the aforementioned stats. They're 240th in the nation in points scored while having a #82 ranking in the RPI. This right here shows how bad last night's loss was.

Could not agree more, especially looking as unpreparied as they did last night. Might help the players loosen up a bit too.

Wichita State's RPI is 15th. That's hardly comparable to Northwestern's 82nd.

Northwestern overall rankings for 2012/13:

PPG: 240th in the nation
RPG: 272nd in the nation
APG: 42nd in the nation
FG%: 226th in the nation

Gophers:

PPG: 44th in the nation
RPG: 19th in the nation
APG: 20th in the nation
FG%: 41st in the nation

The Gophers rank in the top 50 in all categories. Furthermore, the Gophers are in the top 50 in all categories while having a top 10 RPI. On the other hand, Northwestern ranks with some of the worst teams in the country with the aforementioned stats. They're 240th in the nation in points scored while having a #82 ranking in the RPI. This right here shows how bad last night's loss was.

Your wasting your time. He will come on here and write a novel about how bad of a fan you are for not being happy with mediocrity. He's completely blind to the fact that some individuals are not happy with losing to a team like NW and we are not happy with justifying a loss like we had last night. He will justify anything to make himself feel better about a loss. Go read some of his posts and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Good luck!

not being happy with mediocrity

tumblr_m4v6s9phln1rwsy4to1_250.gif

I was upset last night after the loss as well. Stress last night.

Let's get a hold of ourselves here.

We will be fine. I feel our attitude is all coming from our leader Rodney. IF he turns it around we all turn it around. It starts with Rodney our leader and we will go as far he as he can take us. Mark my words.

We will be fine. I feel our attitude is all coming from our leader Rodney. IF he turns it around we all turn it around. It starts with Rodney our leader and we will go as far he as he can take us. Mark my words.

Mbakwe is the leader of this team because he's playing like one. Rodney is a letdown so far in conference play. I'm confident that he has the ability to turn it around, however, he still can't dribble and drive to the basket or shoot the 3. His NBA draft stock is plummeting.

Mbakwe is the leader of this team because he's playing like one. Rodney is a letdown so far in conference play. I'm confident that he has the ability to turn it around, however, he still can't dribble and drive to the basket or shoot the 3. His NBA draft stock is plummeting.

I will say watching the past few games that if I owned a NBA team I would fire the GM on the sport if they drafted him. Unless they just wanted an excuse to cut someone...

Well my cousin lives in the area too and Rick Majerus, Bill Self, and Bob Huggins along with 25 other programs wanted Wally. Yes I heard your cousin isn't a smart coach . Yes Wisconsin does not recruit athletes, so maybe they did not want Wally. Yes I can hear it now , "My older brother is getting jacked around at Minnesota I can't wait to go there too."

Top Bottom