"Tubby Smith hire" definition

CP Gopher

Reaction score
I've asked this before and I'm still not sure of what it means.
I'm not being a wise-guy. I like Tubby for the most part.
What does "Tubby Smith hire" mean?

I've asked this before and I'm still not sure of what it means.
I'm not being a wise-guy. I like Tubby for the most part.
What does "Tubby Smith hire" mean?

No one knows. Which is why Maturi should have never uttered the phrase.

Send an email to Maturi. He always does a good job at responding to them.

It has to mean a proven BCS coach with a National Championship under his belt, doesn't it?

Or maybe an established big name coach with a career win % over .700?

Don't query Maturi, hold him accountable.

I think it means he wants a coach who will go .500 in conference play and winless in the post-season.

Given Maturi's admission when he hired Brewster, I think it just means "a name I had heard more than 10 days ago."

I don't think Maturi every promised a "Tubby Smith type" hire, I think he just stated that he "hoped" for that type of hire. I took the phrase to mean an established winning coach that says "Minnesota is serious about winning", a coach who brings instant credibility to the fanbase and potential recruits.

Tubby

I don't think Maturi every promised a "Tubby Smith type" hire, I think he just stated that he "hoped" for that type of hire. I took the phrase to mean an established winning coach that says "Minnesota is serious about winning", a coach who brings instant credibility to the fanbase and potential recruits.

I agree completely. Well put!

Agree completely.

Good grief, are we still clinging to these little tidbits and quotes from weeks ago? Really?

It means Maturi is a bleepin idiot and has no idea how to react to media interviews about the search process and god help us all now that he's put this gem of a quote out there as the standard of a quality hire.

Top Bottom