Tubby quote on Mbakwe

boston.gopher

Reaction score
From Shooter:

Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith, asked if it's too late in the season for 6-8 junior Trevor Mbakwe to join the team if he were to get his felony battery charge resolved: "It's never too late."

Not sure if this was reported yet here. Not sure if I would even want this anymore. I think I'd rather have him for the next two full seasons to develop with our other young men in the front court!

why would we waste his eligibility on a NIT bid. Only Maturi would think that is a good idea.

why would we waste his eligibility on a NIT bid. Only Maturi would think that is a good idea.

If Mbakwe came back we would have a great chance at making the NCAA tournament and the chance is still there even without him. I understand you think we are guaranteed for the NIT though. My question is, if you already know the outcome of the season and we have no chance at the NCAA tournament, why do you continue to follow the team?

If Mbakwe came back we would have a great chance at making the NCAA tournament and the chance is still there even without him. I understand you think we are guaranteed for the NIT though. My question is, if you already know the outcome of the season and we have no chance at the NCAA tournament, why do you continue to follow the team?

I'll ask again, what exactly has Mbakwe accomplished that makes people think he's the savior to this program? He played like 10 games at Marquette and was a non-factor and then played JUCO ball for a year which is the equivalent of a pick-up game at Lifetime Fitness. How does that translate into the All-American status some folks are making him out to be?

Is he gonna play the point, create his own shot and score 15 a game? If so I agree, otherwise I would red-shirt.

I'll ask again, what exactly has Mbakwe accomplished that makes people think he's the savior to this program? He played like 10 games at Marquette and was a non-factor and then played JUCO ball for a year which is the equivalent of a pick-up game at Lifetime Fitness. How does that translate into the All-American status some folks are making him out to be?

I never said he would be an All-American, nor do I think he should be. He just happens to play at a position of need for us (there are no true power forwards currently on our roster) and quotes I've read from players and newspapers saying he dominates everyday lead me to believe that he can at least help the team a little bit. By the way, he played around 10 games at Marquette because he was rehabbing from a torn ACL all season and hadn't even been playing basketball. If Crean didn't think he was good enough to help the team I'm guessing he would have just redshirted him, but he didn't. I think he will help the team a lot when he's back.

Is he gonna play the point, create his own shot and score 15 a game? If so I agree, otherwise I would red-shirt.

I'm not saying we should play him. At this point I would definitely redshirt him so he can play for two full seasons.

Are you serious? Have you even been to a game this year? I have been to 90% of the home games this year and I am a big basketball fan that is why I still follow the team. Keep living in LA LA land where the gophs have no problems are are playing amazing, because you are not going to see that this year, at least from the squad that is allowed to play.

Are you serious? Have you even been to a game this year? I have been to 90% of the home games this year and I am a big basketball fan that is why I still follow the team. Keep living in LA LA land where the gophs have no problems are are playing amazing, because you are not going to see that this year, at least from the squad that is allowed to play.

Not saying they're going to make the tournament, just saying I'd like to see the season play out instead of deciding their destiny myself. The opportunity is still there.

I would think that with Mbwkeee in practice Colton Iverson would improve. His confidense is shot, at least during the games he looks awful. --maybe having mbwkee eating him up during practice is taking it's emotional toll on the young sophmore and his confidence? ........ I say-redshirt mbwkeee...lets win the NIT title with the team we have.

I would think that with Mbwkeee in practice Colton Iverson would improve. His confidense is shot, at least during the games he looks awful. --maybe having mbwkee eating him up during practice is taking it's emotional toll on the young sophmore and his confidence? ........ I say-redshirt mbwkeee...lets win the NIT title with the team we have.

Somewhere Gopher Warrior's head is exploding.

Even if the charges were cleared tomorrow, keep Mbakwe on the shelf and save the eligibility. The way I see it, this season is lost, so I'd rather have him develop for one entire more year under Tubby and have a deeper team in two years.

I agreeeee tottttly --btw...I like to write xxxtrasepcially for Gopher warrior and Dr Don....

Art, I agree with you. I have been wondering why everyone thinks Mbakwe is so great. Looking at this team, he could probably add a few things, but to view him as a huge impact player is a bit premature.

Physical presence

Nobody thinks that he will score 15 a game, but he would provide something we don't have and clearly need. A physical inside presence who can rebound and hold the block. Think Courtney James. I agree that its too late this season, but he would play a very critical role with this team if he didn't score a point.

Mbakwe stat line...10.4 ppg 5.9 rpg...average numbers...the only juco standout in gopher history was Grier...Carter has done nothing...Bostick has done nothing...Mackenzie did nothing but B.S and turn the ball over.

Mbakwe stat line...10.4 ppg 5.9 rpg...average numbers...the only juco standout in gopher history was Grier...Carter has done nothing...Bostick has done nothing...Mackenzie did nothing but B.S and turn the ball over.

McKenzie played for Oklahoma before he transferred to the Gophers. Personally I would be happy to have him on the team right now.

Wasn't Bobby Jackson a Juco guy? Western Nebraska Community College?

Somewhere Gopher Warrior's head is exploding.

Hah.. don't worry, I have those guys on ignore, so I only see their babble when someone quotes them.

akoch6767 said:

Wow.. you might have to be next (might be the same person(s)). Where is this stat line of 10.4 and 5.9 from for Trevor? Try 16, 13 and 3 with a FG% of over 60% if you're talking about last year. It's fine to have opinions, but man.. you are in outer space most of the time. Luckily I'm sure NDSU or whatever school you go to is very 'accommodating'.

the only juco standout in gopher history was Grier

I think Bobby Jackson would have something to say about that.

Hah.. don't worry, I have those guys on ignore, so I only see their babble when someone quotes them.

Wow.. you might have to be next (might be the same person(s)). Where is this stat line of 10.4 and 5.9 from for Trevor? Try 16, 13 and 3 with a FG% of over 60% if you're talking about last year. It's fine to have opinions, but man.. you are in outer space most of the time. Luckily I'm sure NDSU or whatever school you go to is very 'accommodating'.

From your expertise, what do numbers like that from Mbewke in JUCO translate to in NCAA hoops?

Juco's

Bobby Jackson was juco. So was Travarus Bennett. Only two of the top defenders the Gophers have had in the past 15 years. Obviously their success does not have anything to do with Mbakwe. However, Mbakwe will be one of the top rebounders in the big ten, if/when he plays. The Gophers NEED that.

Do you think anyone on the Gophers is good? Do you find anything positive in watching the gophers?

You're putting words in peoples' mouths. Nobody thinks he's All-American material. Do you always need to exaggerate to make your point appear better than it really is?

We don't have a PF on our team. We don't have a good rebounder on our team. We don't have a good, physical player in the lane. Even if Trevor and Royce aren't proven at the college level, they bring those qualities that I just listed that we are lacking, and they both are easily an upgrade from who we play at "PF". We aren't just imagining that they are good. Both were tabbed as the top newcomers in the BT by some sites, including ESPN.

And don't give me that crap that he did nothing at Marquette. You know he was injured. You know he's effective because of his athleticism. When you're injured and your strength is in your athleticism, it's kind of hard to be a factor.

Do you think anyone on the Gophers is good? Do you find anything positive in watching the gophers?

You're putting words in peoples' mouths. Nobody thinks he's All-American material. Do you always need to exaggerate to make your point appear better than it really is?

We don't have a PF on our team. We don't have a good rebounder on our team. We don't have a good, physical player in the lane. Even if Trevor and Royce aren't proven at the college level, they bring those qualities that I just listed that we are lacking, and they both are easily an upgrade from who we play at "PF". We aren't just imagining that they are good. Both were tabbed as the top newcomers in the BT by some sites, including ESPN.

And don't give me that crap that he did nothing at Marquette. You know he was injured. You know he's effective because of his athleticism. When you're injured and your strength is in your athleticism, it's kind of hard to be a factor.

+1

Thank you.

You beat me to it on Trevor's stats. I was wondering if he just made those up.

I love it when uneducated posters make lame duck comments. Bobby Jackson was a juco buddy. Please stop you are embarrassing yourself.

It would be like if an Indiana State fan said the only good white player we ever had was so and so but he didn't mention Larry Bird.

Top Bottom