Tubby - It's Never Been About The Money

Blizzard

Reaction score
Shooter this morning -

Even University of Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi agrees there is no doubt his men's basketball coach, Tubby Smith, could have had the Virginia job that would have been worth $3 million a year.

Instead, Smith will remain with the Gophers for $2 million annually, at least until the economy improves and the University of Minnesota can upgrade his deal.

"It's never been about money for me," Smith said. "My father never asked for a pay raise in his life. For me, it's about commitment. I've committed to Minnesota, and they have made commitments to me."

Smith, who left Kentucky for the Gophers two years ago, said he isn't bothered by reports that new Kentucky coach John Calipari's contract is worth more than $4 million per season. Meanwhile, Tubby, who is president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches, was headed to Detroit today for the coaches convention and NCAA Final Four weekend. He said he's pulling for Tom Izzo and Michigan State in the Final Four.

Seems like we might have (myself included) underestimated the integrity of our basketball coach. He sounds and acts like the real deal.

And may I add that I love he's pulling for Izzo - he is Big Ten through and through!

Tubby is more than a fine coach; he is one class act. He proved it again as all the rumors whirled around...he quietly went about his business. Tubby is confident but not cocky. He leads by example ("for me it's about commitment"). Hopefully, players and fans follow that lead.

Love It

Beyond being one heckuva coach, I love having Tubby represent the U and our state.

Head Coach of the Golden Gophers, Tubby Smith :clap: :clap: :clap:

:)

"I've committed to Minnesota, and they have made commitments to me."

I hope that means that plans are in place for a practice facility! Actually, I emailed Maturi during the "Great Debacle" and asked about the practice facility, and he said: "We are in the process of finding the best location for the practice facility and will go ahead and try to raise money to get it done."

:-D

Top Bottom