Tubby Bashers

How bad was a loss on the road to Iowa?!

Prediction. Iowa finishes up with at least a 9-9 conf record, but I'm thinking actually 10-8. Their Sagarin Rating rises from #39 into the Top 30, and their RPI rating improves and gets into the 60's, maybe better?!. With a winning conf record, an incredible Sagarin Rating, a 21-10 overall record, they will only have to win one or two games in the BTT to get into the NCAA tournament.

That should give the Big Ten 8 teams.

So getting outscored 67-30 against a team that you have finishing 9-9 or 10-8 in the Big Ten in year six of a coaching tenure.

Parski1, how can you hear anything with all the sand in your ears from having your head so deep in the sand. The day of Tubby's offense and defense has long since passed. His schemes work only against teams that haven't seen it. He gets to the B1G schedule and these coaches have been watching the same old thing twice a year for 6 LONG years.

Parski1, how can you hear anything with all the sand in your ears from having your head so deep in the sand. The day of Tubby's offense and defense has long since passed. His schemes work only against teams that haven't seen it. He gets to the B1G schedule and these coaches have been watching the same old thing twice a year for 6 LONG years.

I don't know why some people don't accept this. It's quite obvious.

Wait until the end of the year....that was my whole point. If the Gophers finish 8-10 or 9-9 in the B1G and lose in the first round or miss the tournament, I would have no problem letting Tubby go and changing directions. Especially if they think they can get Smart or a good young coach. Maybe Flip, but I'm thinking he might be getting a little too old, but if he has the energy, I would have no problems with him either. Actually, if we won the next 5 games, a couple more in the B1G Tournament, and made it to the Sweet 16, if they wanted to wanted to move in a different direction, I would be fine with it. Tubby is a good man, and a good coach, but with the talent on this team, we are going to finish right about where they should in the B1G...and actually, that is on him. You can say anything you want about his offense, but when you have only two guys who can shoot and one of them is is on the bench with 2 fouls for 9 minutes in the first half and is taken out with 12 minutes left in the game and not put back in because we were getting drilled, you could have Bo Ryan, Phil Jackson, Paul Westhead or Pat Riley designing the offense and it wouldn't look good. But right now, he is the coach and I support him and the team whether they win or lose. Yesterday was three steps back as far as I'm concerned, because they didn't compete. But despite that, this season isn't over...and they have a good chance to make the tournament and actually could win a game or two. The B1G is good...and it's tough to win in the conference when you only have two guys who can shoot.

is Minneapolis a big enough market to expect a couple title runs here and there?

I'm not sure why people keep referencing this, but market size is vastly overrated and is almost entirely inconsequential to basketball success. The only top-tier basketball school in a major market is UCLA.

Wait until the end of the year....that was my whole point. If the Gophers finish 8-10 or 9-9 in the B1G and lose in the first round or miss the tournament, I would have no problem letting Tubby go and changing directions. Especially if they think they can get Smart or a good young coach. Maybe Flip, but I'm thinking he might be getting a little too old, but if he has the energy, I would have no problems with him either. Actually, if we won the next 5 games, a couple more in the B1G Tournament, and made it to the Sweet 16, if they wanted to wanted to move in a different direction, I would be fine with it. Tubby is a good man, and a good coach, but with the talent on this team, we are going to finish right about where they should in the B1G...and actually, that is on him. You can say anything you want about his offense, but when you have only two guys who can shoot and one of them is is on the bench with 2 fouls for 9 minutes in the first half and is taken out with 12 minutes left in the game and not put back in because we were getting drilled, you could have Bo Ryan, Phil Jackson, Paul Westhead or Pat Riley designing the offense and it wouldn't look good. But right now, he is the coach and I support him and the team whether they win or lose. Yesterday was three steps back as far as I'm concerned, because they didn't compete. But despite that, this season isn't over...and they have a good chance to make the tournament and actually could win a game or two. The B1G is good...and it's tough to win in the conference when you only have two guys who can shoot.

It's beyond me how someone can claim talent one day after an epic collapse that was the result of coaching. I am confident with any other B1G coach, other than PSU guy, the Gophers win after being up nearly 20.

They don't have much talent on this team. They have two guys who can shoot!! If Williams doesn't play (he is a poor shooter also) and Andre sits out over half the game, they have no offense. All you have to do is make sure Austin Hollins doesn't get an open shot and collapse on Mbakwe. Who else is going to score for them? I'm convinced that you can give the rest of them open looks from 15 feet all day long and they might not make 50% of their shots. Maybe not quite that bad, but close. They aren't that talented of a team...about right where they are in the B1G. Indiana, Michigan and MSU are all way more talented than the Gophers, but so are tOSU, Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa. That is on Tubby, I'm not saying it is not, but they aren't close to as talented as you think.

I'm not sure why people keep referencing this, but market size is vastly overrated and is almost entirely inconsequential to basketball success. The only top-tier basketball school in a major market is UCLA.
Kinda my point.

They don't have much talent on this team. They have two guys who can shoot!! If Williams doesn't play (he is a poor shooter also) and Andre sits out over half the game, they have no offense. All you have to do is make sure Austin Hollins doesn't get an open shot and collapse on Mbakwe. Who else is going to score for them? I'm convinced that you can give the rest of them open looks from 15 feet all day long and they might not make 50% of their shots. Maybe not quite that bad, but close. They aren't that talented of a team...about right where they are in the B1G. Indiana, Michigan and MSU are all way more talented than the Gophers, but so are tOSU, Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa. That is on Tubby, I'm not saying it is not, but they aren't close to as talented as you think.

Respectfully Dissagree

MN cant win since MN has not won in the past.

Repeat.

They have talented athletes. I think Williams and Rodney are athletically talented, and Mbakwe gives it every time he is on the floor. Coleman is a 3-4 in a 2 guards body. He can't shoot....it's like he is lining it up like an old man when he takes a three pointer. Every other team I see has a big guy who can step back at make a three pointer every once in a while. Who besides the Hollins' would you want to see shot a three pointer on this team? Or for that matter a 15-18 footer?

Kinda my point.

Georgetown, Ohio State, Pitt and Louisville may disagree. Butler is quickly becoming one.

They have talented athletes. I think Williams and Rodney are athletically talented, and Mbakwe gives it every time he is on the floor. Coleman is a 3-4 in a 2 guards body. He can't shoot....it's like he is lining it up like an old man when he takes a three pointer. Every other team I see has a big guy who can step back at make a three pointer every once in a while. Who besides the Hollins' would you want to see shot a three pointer on this team? Or for that matter a 15-18 footer?

Shooting shooting shooting. Hit the nail on the head.

It's easy for teams to defend MN. Don't leave Andre/Austin open and sag off Joe. Now you have 3 guys in the lane to defend 2 (Trev and Rodney), you keep Andre from driving with the clogged lane meaning you can press him so he can't get good looks.

Most teams have 4 guys who can hit the 3 on the floor. Minnesota has 2. I'd like to see Welch at the 2 with Austin at the 3. While Welch can't drive, he at least forces his defender out of the lane making life easier for Trevor.

Next year would like to see Buggs at the 4 so we can have some shooting there.

Shooting shooting shooting. Hit the nail on the head.

It's easy for teams to defend MN. Don't leave Andre/Austin open and sag off Joe. Now you have 3 guys in the lane to defend 2 (Trev and Rodney), you keep Andre from driving with the clogged lane meaning you can press him so he can't get good looks.

Most teams have 4 guys who can hit the 3 on the floor. Minnesota has 2. I'd like to see Welch at the 2 with Austin at the 3. While Welch can't drive, he at least forces his defender out of the lane making life easier for Trevor.

Next year would like to see Buggs at the 4 so we can have some shooting there.

What team has 4 guys on the court that can hit threes other than Indiana and Duke?

Still scratching my head on this one.:confused:

Georgetown, Ohio State, Pitt and Louisville may disagree. Butler is quickly becoming one.

None of those are close to top-tier basketball schools. Louisville is the only one who can even make a decent argument. Butler? Please.

Being athletically talented and being a talented basketball player are two entirely different things. I don't think Williams is an NBA player. Not the way he has played this year. He is a great athlete, probably one of the best in the B1G, but there might be 25 players in the B1G that are better than Williams.

Being athletically talented and being a talented basketball player are two entirely different things. I don't think Williams is an NBA player. Not the way he has played this year. He is a great athlete, probably one of the best in the B1G, but there might be 25 players in the B1G that are better than Williams.

I've always thought what you said. However, I no longer think of him as a great "athlete". I think of him as a great leaper- in fact one of the greatest leapers I have ever seen in terms of quick off of his feet and amount of rise. But a great athlete would be able to pick up the skills of basketball better than he has- shooting and ball handling.

Top basketball schools:

1. UCLA
2. Duke
3. North Carolina
4. Kansas
5. Kentucky
6. Indiana
7. Michigan St
8. Syracuse
9. Arizona
10. UConn
11. Louisville
12. Ohio State
13. Michigan
14. Cincinnati
15. UNLV, Georgetown, North Carolina St., Villinova, Purdue, Marquette

There were like 800 fans in the stands when the Gophers beat them last year in the NIT. It takes more than one good year to be a top basketball school.

North Dakota State, for one. I've got five dollars that says there are more.
Michigan:

Player GP MIN PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%
Trey Burke 26 34.7 18.6 3.2 6.9 1.5 0.4 1.8 .489 .785 .391
Tim Hardaway Jr. 25 34.2 15.2 4.5 2.2 0.8 0.6 2.0 .461 .704 .407
Nik Stauskas 26 31.6 12.2 3.1 1.4 0.5 0.2 1.3 .484 .845 .470
Glenn Robinson III 26 32.8 11.3 5.6 1.3 0.9 0.2 1.0 .575 .692 .383

Top Bottom