Tubby and the APR

rrjackIII

Reaction score
I remember doing some internets online NCAA APR (Academic Progress Rate) research when our APR in Basketball was a little more of an issue. The Royce White dropping out of school possibility reminded me of some APR issues. When Tubby was named Coach at the U of M our Basketball APR was around 890 - 900 - IIRC.

Last May when NCAA released APR Ratings MN's APR was all the way up to 930 (1000 is maximum) - just above the 925 mark necessary to avoid 'Contemporaneous Penalties'. A contemporaneous penalty is issued when an institution has an "0 for 2" player and an APR of 925 or below.

Due to increased academic success at the U in Basketball our APR is above that 925 mark.

The new APR Rankings I believe come out in May and will go up (or down) depending on the academic performance of the players from last years team. Since all returning players were eligible in the fall semester they were all 2 for 2 players. If JAS - Travis - KP - JWill all left in good academic standing (and I believe they did) our APR should go up even more.

An 0 for 2 player is a Student Athlete who becomes Academically ineligible and who also drops out of school - thus "0 for 2". I am not sure if Royce would be an 0 for 2 player if he withdraws from school before the cutoff date to drop classes. It does not matter since we are above 925. However, if we were below 925 and had an 0 for 2 player we would be penalized that scholarship and not be able to fill the scholarship of that "0 for 2" player with another scholarship player.

More Kudos to the recent players and grads and to Tubby for getting our APR above 925 in the past few years to avoid that potential Academic and Scholarship pitfall.

Tubby runs a pretty air-tight program, and for that we should all be thankful.

Top Bottom