Tubby and Maturi don't see eye to eye

GopherFish

Reaction score
Tubby and Maturi are not on same page. Tubby makes decisions only to be thwarted by Maturi. Case in point, is the Jimmy Williams saga that resulted in a million dollar judgment against the U because of a communication failure between the two. This season showed that the two don't see eye to eye: Tubby wanted Royce and Trevor to play and led these players on, but Maturi said No.

One of these two must go and I think Maturi should be the one to resign. Tubby will have opportunities again and next year won't have a buyout obstacle and I'm afraid if Maturi is retained, Tubby may have more reason to leave. Besides, Maturi is responsible for Tim Brewster and in the event he is fired, we sure don't want him finding his replacement.

I would be shocked if Tubby & Maturi were both working together at the U next year. One of them is going to go. No way you can have this much kerfuffle going on with no fallout. If Maturi is still here a year from now, Tubby will be gone.

I have tried to remain positive and not get into the bashing and trashing of Joel Maturi...but that time has past. This guy has got to go....and right now. The thing that concerns me is if Bruinicks is on his way out...does he really want the headaches of finding a new AD?

Hire Tony Dungy as AD...that's my vote!

If that's the case, certainly hope Tubby is the one who stays, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Maturi is closer to retirement and might decide he doesn't want that battle. Tubby has got to be wondering what he got himself into, and the next time somebody calls, you'd think he'll listen.

However, the higher-ups have also got to be wondering some things. Tubby's integrity has taken a big hit. Williams came here with Musselman. Muss left just ahead of the sheriff, but I still remember it was a record number of violations he compiled--well into triple digits. I think we got two years probation. Williams stayed but it's safe to say he might have had a hand in those violations. Williams left after the scandal in Madison, and he was the recruiter for some of those guys. Tubby knew enough that Williams had good connections in this part of the country, but he didn't know that Williams's career here was book-ended between two of the three biggest scandals here? As plugged in as Tubby is, I find it hard to believe. A jury believes Williams over Tubby. Also, not good. Institutions like the U don't like to be embarrassed, and Tubby has helped embarrass the U here.

They're certainly not going to fire him or even encourage him to go. But with this case, the fact Royce and Trevor are his recruits and all the turmoil that's caused, his last two recruiting classes, his demands, his very good salary, etc. the next time someone calls, the higher ups might decide it's not worth it to get him to stay.

The Big Ten is going to be tough. If Tubby can come up with a solid season (and I think he will), it'll make him very attractive with all the stuff he's had to deal with. If he ends up towards the bottom of the conference, those Kentucky doubts will be heard even louder. Maybe won't be as attractive to others, but it's safe to stay we won't be as enamored with him either.

If that's the case, certainly hope Tubby is the one who stays, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Maturi is closer to retirement and might decide he doesn't want that battle. Tubby has got to be wondering what he got himself into, and the next time somebody calls, you'd think he'll listen.

However, the higher-ups have also got to be wondering some things. Tubby's integrity has taken a big hit. Williams came here with Musselman. Muss left just ahead of the sheriff, but I still remember it was a record number of violations he compiled--well into triple digits. I think we got two years probation. Williams stayed but it's safe to say he might have had a hand in those violations. Williams left after the scandal in Madison, and he was the recruiter for some of those guys. Tubby knew enough that Williams had good connections in this part of the country, but he didn't know that Williams's career here was book-ended between two of the three biggest scandals here? As plugged in as Tubby is, I find it hard to believe. A jury believes Williams over Tubby. Also, not good. Institutions like the U don't like to be embarrassed, and Tubby has helped embarrass the U here.

They're certainly not going to fire him or even encourage him to go. But with this case, the fact Royce and Trevor are his recruits and all the turmoil that's caused, his last two recruiting classes, his demands, his very good salary, etc. the next time someone calls, the higher ups might decide it's not worth it to get him to stay.

The Big Ten is going to be tough. If Tubby can come up with a solid season (and I think he will), it'll make him very attractive with all the stuff he's had to deal with. If he ends up towards the bottom of the conference, those Kentucky doubts will be heard even louder. Maybe won't be as attractive to others, but it's safe to stay we won't be as enamored with him either.

Tubby and I are the same age. We both turn 60 next summer (2011). Few of us change jobs BY CHOICE at that age.

I doubt he is looking to change jobs that close to retirement age. I doubt others would be after him to do so, either.

Hire Tony Dungy as AD...that's my vote!
I hope to god you are making fun of folks who think TD is the answer to every problem. Tony Dungy is not Superman, Batman, and the Incredible Hulk rolled into one. I'd make some other snide comments, but I'm still crossing my fingers that you're making a funny.

I hope to god you are making fun of folks who think TD is the answer to every problem. Tony Dungy is not Superman, Batman, and the Incredible Hulk rolled into one. I'd make some other snide comments, but I'm still crossing my fingers that you're making a funny.

Yeah...was kinda hoping to see the "I love all things Tony" freaks come out of the woodwork. What we really need to do is hire a big time AD that knows how to win and make money.

What we really need to do is hire a big time AD that knows how to win and make money.

We do make money at the U. Our AD just likes to spend it on non revenue sports. Then he constantly whines about his tight budget requesting salary freezes et al.

The Big Ten Network puts 10s of millions of dollars in his budget every year yet he still can't make the numbers work.

What gives?

We do make money at the U. Our AD just likes to spend it on non revenue sports. Then he constantly whines about his tight budget requesting salary freezes et al.

The Big Ten Network puts 10s of millions of dollars in his budget every year yet he still can't make the numbers work.

What gives?

The lack of success in football, men's BB and men's hockey has zero to do with money. They get plenty of money.

For everything there is to criticize Maturi about, the budget ain't one of them.

Tubby isn't going anywhere despite the recent fallouts, the basketball program finally has a big name coach, I don't see the "U" firing coach Smith, that's just my opinion.

Maturi

We need Tubby to build the basketball program. .......we don't need Maturi.....for anything.

Top Bottom