Tubby addresses coaching rumors

Wow he thinks highly of the program/state doesn't he?

Seriously do people realize how hard it is to win a national championship? I mean Rick Pitino has only one and he's RICK PITINO. A lot of things have to go perfectly for things to happen. Look at 1997 - play that Indiana game over 100 times and 99 times out of 100 Indiana wins. If Indiana wins that game maybe we don't have the season we had.

Any school can win a championship with good players, a good coach, talent and a bit of luck. Gophers are no different. If Tubby leaves he leaves - I'm sure there are more than a few coaches who would be interested in picking up where he left off. I can think of one off the top of my head

I agree. Souhan seems to blow hot and cold on Gopher basketball. I've heard him talk on the radio before about how with a major metro area and a full arena there's no reason we can't win here, but this article certainly gives a different perception.

I agree. Souhan seems to blow hot and cold on Gopher basketball. I've heard him talk on the radio before about how with a major metro area and a full arena there's no reason we can't win here, but this article certainly gives a different perception.

Souhan is one reason why the Strib is dying. Why write something nice - people won't talk about that.

I know someone who had talked to both Tubby and Donna many times and all he can say is they positively rave about the area, the city and the fans. I think they are happy - I just think Souhan is trying to be controversial to sell papers.

Souhan has been hanging around Ruesse too much. Familiarity with the state and a better climate don't exactly translate into more winning. They have better facilities, but we're going to have a new practice facility and I think the current Williams will be easier to win in then a new arena or at most other arenas.

I'm still standing by my argument it'll be easier to recruit here then Virginia, and Tubby has a better chance of becoming a dominant coach in the Big 10 then the ACC. Ignoring weather and familiarity, I think Tubby can be more successful and have a happier professional life here.

As I've said before, Tubby is nuckin' futs if he leaves here to coach Virginia. This is the greatest place in America to coach. No pressure to win. People are going ga-ga over a 6th and 7th place finish in he B10 in his 2 years here. I can already imagine the parade route through campus if they ever finish in the upper half of the conference and....gasp!!!...win an NCAA Tournament game.

He doesn't need to money or the added stress. He can retire here and hand the program over to Saul. If he leads them to the tournament once every 3-4 years, he will have a banner hanging from the rafters...

As I've said before, Tubby is nuckin' futs if he leaves here to coach Virginia. This is the greatest place in America to coach. No pressure to win. People are going ga-ga over a 6th and 7th place finish in he B10 in his 2 years here. I can already imagine the parade route through campus if they ever finish in the upper half of the conference and....gasp!!!...win an NCAA Tournament game.

He doesn't need to money or the added stress. He can retire here and hand the program over to Saul. If he leads them to the tournament once every 3-4 years, he will have a banner hanging from the rafters...

Tubby isn't satisfied with 6th or 7th place. He's a 1st or 2nd place guy.

Tubby has W 29 NCAA games (that's 28 more than 1).

You might wanna upgrade your fan status.

If he leads them to the tournament once every 3-4 years, he will have a banner hanging from the rafters...

Use hyperbole much, Art? You are telling me that if Tubby misses the NCAA tourney for the next 3 years that they'll hang a banner at Williams? C'mon. He'd be on a hotter seat than Monson was. The reason? Expectations are rightfully rising. No NCAAs in each of the next three years would more likely result in a pink slip than a banner. If you think otherwise, you're insane. This city - and more specifically the media - can turn on a coach fast. If Tubby misses the tourney for each of the next three years, it will not be a picnic for him, that's for sure.

That said, I don't see the Gophers whiffing all three years.

Tubby's not going anywhere. He's just being polite to those other schools and possibly trying to get a little leverage with the U to get what he wants (e.g., a practice facility.) This is called being a professional coach. Every coach knows they are hired only to be fired. Why would anyone, including all of YOU, pledge your undying support for your employer. Give me a break. You want your employer to constantly fear losing you, no?

Even if Tubby does leave, I believe there is a fine coach in the west metro who is ready willing and able to step up. This is a guy who is an alum and has a s-load of NBA experience. I heard him on KFAN the other night talking about how he is still a diehard Gopher fan and picked them to go to the Elite Eight in his bracket.

I think the unhappiness over Souhan's column is somewhat misplaced. It may not be what we want to hear but it's not an unreasonable analysis. And whether it's "nice" or not, it's an analysis that presents an alternative viewpoint -- which is what I kind of like about columnists.

OTOH, I think an equally reasonable analysis can lead to the conclusion Tubby's going to stay and doesn't see his role here as complete. And, like most here, that's what I want to see happen. Reading an alternative viewpoint doesn't make it any more -- or less -- likely that Tubby leaves.

Tubby's not going anywhere. He's just being polite to those other schools and possibly trying to get a little leverage with the U to get what he wants (e.g., a practice facility.) This is called being a professional coach. Every coach knows they are hired only to be fired. Why would anyone, including all of YOU, pledge your undying support for your employer. Give me a break. You want your employer to constantly fear losing you, no?

Even if Tubby does leave, I believe there is a fine coach in the west metro who is ready willing and able to step up. This is a guy who is an alum and has a s-load of NBA experience. I heard him on KFAN the other night talking about how he is still a diehard Gopher fan and picked them to go to the Elite Eight in his bracket.

Hopefully it doesn't to that. I tend to agree that UVA is simply not a better job, but here in VA they are convinced he's coming.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sp...e/tubby_is_the_right_pick_for_virginia/37577/

Souhan has a less positive take:

Subject: Star-Tribune article (inside): "Virginia could be perfect fit for Tubby Smith"
Posted by: hooskerdu on Fri Mar 20 2009 8:42:38 PM
By Jim Souhan
Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
(MCT)
GREENSBORO, N.C. — Tubby Smith worked as an assistant
basketball coach at Virginia Commonwealth, South Carolina and
Kentucky.
He worked as a head coach at Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky and
Minnesota.
He was born and raised in Maryland, and played college basketball in
North Carolina.
He has family in Maryland and Virginia.
A realist would probably look at Smith's resume and assume that he,
like most power coaches, is always looking for his next job, a place
offering a little more money, or better facilities, a more supportive
atmosphere, or a better chance to win a championship. Or that, as a
successful 57-year-old, he might take a hint from other well-off
Minnesotans and look for a warmer place to spend his winters.
The typical myopic Gopher fan would probably look at Smith's resume
and assume he has found his dream job in Dinkytown, that a man who
has spent most of his life in the South has, in two years, planted deep
roots in the frozen tundra.
We may find out soon whether Smith has any roots at all. If Smith's
intention was to take advantage of Minnesota's hospitality, relative to
the crazed atmosphere at Kentucky, he could stay. Minnesota is, after
all, an easy place to coach if you are competent.
Smith must already be the most powerful figure in the athletic
department, Williams Arena offers a distinct home-court advantage, and
he will never receive the level of criticism here for finishing seventh in the
Big Ten that he received in Kentucky for getting beat deep in the NCAA
tournament.
If he's looking to leave, though, Smith could depart quickly.
You couldn't run into a sportswriter or a basketball official in Greensboro
who didn't ask whether Smith is going to take the vacant Virginia job.
The speculation has yet to rise above the level of rumor, but we should
never let a power coach complain about these rumors, because power
coaches so rarely tell the truth about their intentions. Power coaches,
even those as classy as Smith, have taught us not to trust them.
Thus far, Smith has said only, "We have no reason to be looking at
anything else. And I'm very happy where we are."
If Smith wanted to quash the rumor, he could offer a stronger
statement, something along the lines of: "I have no interest in any other
job and will remain in Minnesota at least for the length of my contract."
Saying anything weaker than that invites speculation.
At his age, Smith's next move might be to a school where he will feel
comfortable coaching until retirement. He would be a natural fit in his
home state of Maryland, but Gary Williams snuffed rumors of his
impending firing with a strong late-season performance. Smith would
probably welcome warmer climes, which is why Arizona would make
sense.
Virginia could be a perfect fit for Smith. It offers many things Minnesota
doesn't — warmer weather, an up-to-date practice facility, a place his
wife would like to live, and an ACC pedigree. Virginia has struggled
enough that Smith could receive credit for rebuilding another program if
he has any success.
Smith could leave Minnesota bragging that he resurrected a program
that was in shambles when he arrived, and he would be right.
Smith did not grow up dreaming of coaching in Williams Arena. He
knew little about Minnesota- the program or the state — until, sick of
the abuse he was taking in Kentucky, he called old friend Clem
Haskins to ask whether he should be interested in the Gophers job.
Haskins probably told him something like, "It's an easy place to coach,
most of the media is soft, the fans are happy if you can get them to the
tournament, it's worth a look."
Minnesota is a nice way station for a power coach, but it is not a place
Smith can expect to win another NCAA title, or a place he expects to
retire.
Minnesota and Smith have been good for each other so far. That doesn't
mean this relationship is built to last.
———
(c) 2009, Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
Visit the Star Tribune Web edition on the World Wide Web at
http://www.startribune.com
Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

souhan with a negative take on something? what else is new?!

Souhan is one reason why the Strib is dying. Why write something nice - people won't talk about that.

I know someone who had talked to both Tubby and Donna many times and all he can say is they positively rave about the area, the city and the fans. I think they are happy - I just think Souhan is trying to be controversial to sell papers.

Just as some people hate every word that Reusse writes, I'm reaching that point with Souhan. This is one story that he really manufactured. For the reasons I stated earlier in the thread I wouldn't be shocked if Tubby leaves this year or next, but it will not be to go to VA.

I think the unhappiness over Souhan's column is somewhat misplaced. It may not be what we want to hear but it's not an unreasonable analysis. And whether it's "nice" or not, it's an analysis that presents an alternative viewpoint -- which is what I kind of like about columnists.

OTOH, I think an equally reasonable analysis can lead to the conclusion Tubby's going to stay and doesn't see his role here as complete. And, like most here, that's what I want to see happen. Reading an alternative viewpoint doesn't make it any more -- or less -- likely that Tubby leaves.

To me it wasn't the Tubby analysis - it was the assumption that a national championship couldn't be won here and that Minnesota/The U/Williams arena just aren't good enough. Look Clem almost did it and this town went crazy as a result - I know I stood out in freezing weather to welcome them home from the UCLA game.

Columnists write.........

only to get a reaction. Souhan was in Virginia, the game was not that exciting from a Gopher viewpoint, people were talking about Tubby, and so this is the result.

It doesn't mean anything, it just stirs up the populace.

I agree with your alternative viewpoint thought. However, some columnists have more credibility than others when they provide an alternative view. Souhan rarely provides an alternative view, it's more of a "poor Minnesota" view. What is Souhan basing his statement that Tubby cannot win a national championship here on? He provides nothing to support this statement. Souhan has yet to think that the U can amount to anything athletically, and throws subtle jabs at academics at times as well. Would he say the same thing regarding a national championship about other Big 10 schools other than MSU and Indiana? A couple obviously, but not Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan - all programs to which we compare favorably.

I value columnists who share their viewpoint and then also provide some rationale for what lead them to this thinking, whether I agree or not. That stimulates thought and conversation. This is why I still listen to Barriero, and read him when he was writing. I rarely agreed with him, but he at least made his thinking transparent.

The good news is that there are a number of national columnists - Kornheiser (sp?), Katz, Wilbon - who earlier this year have said they believe Tubby can win a national championship here. I just wish some of our local guys could take a step back some time and look at what we have to offer, rather than just take the typical slant of, "We're Minnesota, we can't..." It's not perfect here, but the opportunities are better than they seem to recognize.

Later.

Tubby has enough of a resume that the question is not where he can win, but where he and his family will be happiest.

Though Virginia has a lot going for it location wise, and of the schools interested in Tubby, they do have some things going for it since some of Tubby and his wife's family is near there. MN has a very impressive recruiting class coming in to go along with those that played this year being a little more seasoned.

The only thing that really bugs me is Virginia's attitude that Tubby is going there. It is if Tubby should welcome what they perceive as a major step up!

BTW - along with the four recruits coming in, don't forget Allen as a fifth. It sounds like he is a pretty impressive player as well, both FB and BB.

Not a big fan of Souhan, but occasionally he does manage to print something positive. Personally I don't think of him the same as Ruesse or Barriero.

The most interesting thing in this whole fiasco is the constant over-analyzation about every thing Tubby says publicly. I was especially amused by the Virginia folks who took his "I have a job and have no reason to look around" comments as "I am seriously considering Virginia.":rolleyes:

Using their logic, I guess that means that if he says he loves everything about Virginia, we can make turn it around to mean I am staying in Minnesota for the rest of my career!!!!

I also find it amusing that they seem to compare Tubby and his statements to Roy Williams and Nick Saban, as if those comparisons really matter in this case. This case and those have nothing in common. The fact is that unlike those situations, Virginia offers little extra incentive to move. They haven't been relevant in more than a decade in basketball, apparently have a new arena they can't fill and are limited in how much upward mobility they have in the ACC.

I actually like the fact that their academic standards are so high and wish ours were of similar regard. But other than family ties to the area, I don't see any advantage Virginia has over Minnesota. Where does that leave us? I guess we'll have to see.

Tubby has enough of a resume that the question is not where he can win, but where he and his family will be happiest.

Though Virginia has a lot going for it location wise, and of the schools interested in Tubby, they do have some things going for it since some of Tubby and his wife's family is near there. MN has a very impressive recruiting class coming in to go along with those that played this year being a little more seasoned.

The only thing that really bugs me is Virginia's attitude that Tubby is going there. It is if Tubby should welcome what they perceive as a major step up!

BTW - along with the four recruits coming in, don't forget Allen as a fifth. It sounds like he is a pretty impressive player as well, both FB and BB.

The people in VA believe that surely he must tired of digging his car out of 50 foot snow drifts and shooing away penguines before he leaves for work every day. They consider the weather here a 'major' advantage as thier perception of Minnesota is basically the movies Fargo and Grumpy Old Men. In reality it is between 20 an 40 degrees, gray and dead most of the winter here, and I personally would rather there just be a couple of feet of snow on the ground. It's not that much of an advantage.

The people in VA believe that surely he must tired of digging his car out of 50 foot snow drifts and shooing away penguines before he leaves for work every day. They consider the weather here a 'major' advantage as thier perception of Minnesota is basically the movies Fargo and Grumpy Old Men. In reality it is between 20 an 40 degrees, gray and dead most of the winter here, and I personally would rather there just be a couple of feet of snow on the ground. It's not that much of an advantage.

Don't really care how the people of VA perceive MN, just how Tubby does and whether family ties are enough for him to consider the switch. To me, unless Virginia offers a huge pay increase, which I highly doubt, my guess is Tubby is much better off staying where he is at and he knows it. The prospect of turning the UofM into a national power seems almost just around the corner, he and his wife are happy, loved, appreciated, needed and have one of the highest salaries in College basketball.

If Tubby gets the UofM to the final four, he can officially go into the record books as one of the top college coaches in the game today (though for the most part I think he already is that).

As for the quality of life in MN, the state is annually either #1 or close to the top as for best quality of life categories.

UVA is a great institution, but Minnesota is a better basketball job. With the exception of Northern Virginia, a lot of the state is hardcore, redneck folk. One big Sherburne/Stearns Counties.

Top Bottom