Trust

RolGnav

Reaction score
Kill and his coaching staff has trust issues. People keep defending them, saying "oh they know best, blah blah blah" and then you have this game, where you can see Leidner isn't that bad if they set him up to succeed in passing. Other coaches have no problem playing their second string, third string QBs, without tying one hand behind their backs like the Gopher coaches did to Streveler. Sure, we won that game, but it goes to show that the Coaches just don't trust their players.

Is it trust or just REALLY conservative philosophy?

I strongly believe the offense coaching side has major trust issues. It has to do with not believing in your players to make the plays, and playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Wow...the bashing continues.

You could keep whining about people voicing their concerns, or you could try and sway the argument.

I don't think the issue is Trust. I think the issue is no talent. The coaches want to win games to stay employed. The best way to do that is to win games however you can. If the coaches thought Streveler throwing 45 passes was the best way to win, that's the game they would have called. It wasn't the best way to win, and evidently they were right as we did win. I've been beating this drum for 2 years, but we HAVE NO RECEIVERS worth a darn. KJ Maye turned out to be better than Wolitarsky and Jones combined. The fact we have no receivers is directly on the coaches. And before anyone goes yacking about how good the redshirts are (as obviously none of us truly knows), if they were so good they would have been playing this year. I expect next year to look a heck of a lot like this year. So if you don't like our offense and you don't like plodding games, then you might not want to watch. That's the QB we have (like him or hate him) and that's the lack of talent at the receiver position. The question is whether we'll take a step back on defense losing a few key pieces or not. If we do, a 5 win Mason like season will be in the fold. If the defense can continue to actually look as good as other Big Ten defenses, then we can win 7 or 8 again.

It is brick one at a time. I'm sure Kill knows he isn't perfect at what he does. Yes we need better players. We're improving in my opinion and I get the opinion some people think we should have been in the running for a National championship this year.

Well I admit we may not have talented receivers, but look at today's game. As we all saw, we actually had a short passing game. We never even attempted these short passes during the non-conference or Big Ten play. We rarely tried screens. The most adventurous plays we called were the jet sweeps. I'm not trying to make this a play calling argument, but I guess it is related.

The Streveler game, not that anyone wants a second stringer to throw the ball 45 times, but you could at least help make him more comfortable by giving him some easy throws. I refuse to believe that our QBs and WRs are the among the worst in all of division I college football. The part about the coaches wanting to stay employed is the reason why they are too afraid to let the players play.

I am not expecting to be a national champion this year, but I do expect them to give it their all. At half time, you are losing, so you already have nothing to lose, and so you don't even try to get a score? You have two timeouts, and maybe 30 or 40 yards to get a field goal try. Your first two plays gained a lot, yet you just let the time run out? It's like the coaches had no faith in Leidner, or Williams or anyone, enough to let them try to make some plays to get into field goal range.

I would rather Leidner throw 20 interceptions as long as we try to come back, than to just let the time run out.

In the biggest game of Kill's career, he hides in the corner.

It is brick one at a time. I'm sure Kill knows he isn't perfect at what he does. Yes we need better players. We're improving in my opinion and I get the opinion some people think we should have been in the running for a National championship this year.

I know its hyperbole, but I'm not a fan of that kind of comment. There is a big gap between saying Kill should have us contending for a national title, and saying that by his fourth season, he should have an offense that he trusts enough to at least attempt to move the ball with a minute on the clock and three timeouts trailing before the half. And I don't think its unreasonable or unrealistic for fans to expect the latter.

The OP is typical of people that assume kids come in and play the same from day 1 and it is all play calling. Leidner's development is remarkable. The short passing game did not work before due to Leidner missing a lot of throws. He has clearly gotten better which allowed more expansive play calling. They are not independent, they are related to one another.

The OP is typical of people that assume kids come in and play the same from day 1 and it is all play calling. Leidner's development is remarkable. The short passing game did not work before due to Leidner missing a lot of throws. He has clearly gotten better which allowed more expansive play calling. They are not independent, they are related to one another.

Your comment doesn't make any sense. How does he improve, if he isn't given the opportunity to try?

Obviously he has improved over the course of this season, but what's also obvious is that some of the throws he made yesterday were never or rarely ever called during the season. You would think that if he had issues with those types of throws, that the coaches would be smart enough to have him practice them in a real game during the non-conference. Screens, jet sweeps, dump offs, crossing patterns, wide receiver screens, etc... some of those are pretty easy to execute. Will they always be successful? No, but he was never given the chance to try.

What is so hard about a jet sweep? Limegrover didn't use it in a bunch of games, and fans and the media asked him why. He stated something to the effect of that the jet sweep is over played and teams were catching on. But then guess what? He started using it again after that... as if we reminded him that it was in the playbooks.

You are the typical person that thinks a coach is always right, and always knows what they are doing. My thoughts on the coaching staff is this; They want to win with the least amount of mistakes possible, which in my opinion slows down development more than it should. You would think having Mitch practice the passing game more during non-conference would be beneficial to him during conference play, but nope. The coaches just want to play it safe. And sure, they win those easy games... but missed an opportunity to get game action experience to Mitch and the receivers in the passing game.

I also keep going back to the Streveler game, because it's what opened my eyes to what this coaching staff does. Streveler had to play because Mitch was injured, and instead of helping to get Streveler comfortable by giving him a few easy passing plays, they just asked him to run the option all day. And whenever it was third and long, then they asked him to pass... which again, that's setting him up to fail. Streveler had 8 attempts all game (if I remember correctly) and if you go and watch the game over, I'd say only one or two of those weren't on 3rd down. So why not give Streveler some short passes to make him comfortable and give him some confidence? It will also help down the stretch if we ever need Streveler during conference play (which we never did). And the answer is because they didn't trust him.

And, Mizzou completely sold out to stop Cobb and the read option. That opens up other possibilities. Unfortunately, it also made us a different team.

Trust is not an issue. Execution is an issue. We dropped a pass and missed a pass that could have given us a better position to win.

I think the coaching staff has the prevent error thing all wrong. They believe that to eliminate error, you put in the playbook the plays with the least chance of error (theory I). I believe that the error elimination is not to have a narrow range of plays that reduce error, but to run plays enough to eliminate the errors through experience. The non conference games are perfect for running all the plays and perfecting them by reducing errors through rehearsal. You can't perfect a piano concerto by avoiding playing it. You must play it and even perform it in front of people to perfect it. Installing these plays and calling them on the very last game of the season increases the chance of error, not reduce it. And, that theory held true to form as mistakes were many during the game.

I think the coaching staff has the prevent error thing all wrong. They believe that to eliminate error, you put in the playbook the plays with the least chance of error (theory I). I believe that the error elimination is not to have a narrow range of plays that reduce error, but to run plays enough to eliminate the errors through experience. The non conference games are perfect for running all the plays and perfecting them by reducing errors through rehearsal. You can't perfect a piano concerto by avoiding playing it. You must play it and even perform it in front of people to perfect it. Installing these plays and calling them on the very last game of the season increases the chance of error, not reduce it. And, that theory held true to form as mistakes were many during the game.

+1

Here's what we indisputably know:

1) Mitch has gotten better.

2) Limegrover sucks.

Top Bottom