Troy Calhoun question

Reaction score
Reading Calhoun's wiki page (yes, not verified info).

It says that he played at the Air Force Acadamy from 85-88 and was a graduate assistant/assistant coach from 89-94. Then he went to Ohio, Wake Forest, Denver Broncos, and Houston Texans prior to becoming HC of the Falcons in 07.

My question is when he actually did his required active duty time in the Air Force? How did he get out of doing it if he did not?

If i am not mistaken the standard USAF academy deal (for ALL cadets) is 4 years of free college for 6 years of active duty service.

Keep in mind that education is exactly "free".

There comes a point in all academy careers where you are required to sign on the line. That is usually around the 2nd or 3rd year's end. Up until then you can transfer out and not have any requirements to serve.

Not only that, but it's still a 1 for 1 serve, but you don't start your years until all your post graduate training is over. So, for example, an AFA cadet who obtained a pilot slot (very hard to get even for them), would be required to complete his T-6 training which lasts a year, then the next level of training depending on which route he was selected to which is another 1 year or so. Then there's the final plane training. In all it takes about 3 years post graduation to complete the training. At that point you start serving your 4 years. Plus extra time for the years in training.

I only say this because I have a brother-in-law who went to the AFA to play football, 2 that went to the CGA, and another that went to Minnesota and did AFROTC and is now a B-52 bomber pilot, so I've learned quite a bit about the details of how all this stuff works.

Edit for clarification: Yes, the tuition rate is $0.00 for students, but keep in mind that the cost to attend is still there in other things that tend to limit other factors.

I don't know the details, but it appears he was stationed at the Air Force Academy after graduation, and that his being a graduate assistant was in addition to his other duties.

I don't know the details, but it appears he was stationed at the Air Force Academy after graduation, and that his being a graduate assistant was in addition to his other duties.

If that is where he was stationed then that is more than likely the case. Not only that, the services do make some exemptions for athletes who enter the different professional sports. They'll sometimes allow them to serve at a local base instead of what most of us would consider "active duty"overseas.

There are many different options that can happen based on what the person pursues after they graduate.

Top Bottom