Troy Bell on EVERYTHING from racism to his Gopher offer to how to not go broke

GopherLady

Reaction score
I'm sure you're wondering why I did a podcast with Troy Bell...as he has no Gopher ties. Well, it's because he's probably the most honest person I've ever met. He's an open book. I wanted to use my platform and reach with the podcast for good during these difficult times. Troy spoke about racism, growing up in Minnesota, going to white schools, his encounters with the police...and what I really wanted him on the podcast was to share his words of wisdom to teach the next generation. He went in-depth on finances, how to not go broke (his #1 motivation) if you're making NBA or overseas money, what to look for in an agent, how to train hard enough...but not too much, just about everything he's learned over his career.

I'm not sure anyone has every been so transparent and open during one of my interviews. It is a long one, but there's a lot of key learnings.

(Please subscribe to our GH youtube channel for exclusive content)!
YouTube Part 1: YouTube Part 2:

Podcast link:

Nice discussion. It was fun to listen to.

Mn still hasn’t recovered from him and Amin not choosing the u. You can almost place a tack in the calendar with those 2 and the crap slide we have been on.

Nice discussion. It was fun to listen to.
Thank you. I think he's one of the most interesting and honest people I've ever met. I was hoping that people would feel the same way even without Gopher ties.

Mn still hasn’t recovered from him and Amin not choosing the u. You can almost place a tack in the calendar with those 2 and the crap slide we have been on.
You just have to wonder...what if? With the in-state talent here, we could have been a MSU.

If anything, you at least make me laugh when I read your comments.

Great Interview GopherLady! I still recall watching Troy's Jr and Sr seasons when I was a freshman and Sophmore at Holy Angels. Amazing that we had Troy Bell and Larry Fitzgerald JR. at the school roughly around the same time frame. Both went on to be both class act individuals.

Troy was right and it’s still happens now. HM don’t respect MN guards & the Gophers never made them a priority. Besides Suggs, Jones’s and Adam Boone I cant remember another guard being highly touted. No real push for Bell, Sullivan, M. Wright, Davison, Terry, and the list goes on. Clem never took a MN guard. Monson’s were transfers. Pitino has signed 1, 2 if you include Jarvis.

Yeah I hate when people complain about non-gopher stuff here. I grew up in south Minneapolis and was in High School when Troy and Larry Fitz were at BC and Pitt, respectively. My weekly schedule was built around seeing as many BC hoops games and Pitt football games as possible. If it was being broadcast on TV, I was watching it.

Those guys were real-life super heroes to me

Top Bottom