Tropical Vacation Destination Ideas

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
My wife and I haven't really gone on a true vacation in a long time so are considering doing something in the next year or so. We've done Mexico several times so would prefer to go elsewhere. Looking for any ideas of places you guys have been to that aren't going to break the bank and potentially offer things to do outside of the resort if we wanted.

A few I've seen in my brief research include Cayman Islands, Punta Cana, Costa Rica and St Kitts. What about a cruise? I hear mixed feelings on them.

Aruba or Curaçao (less Americanized version of Aruba - where all the Europeans go), rarely touched by hurricanes either. Amazing beaches and people will do your dishes 😃

Last edited:

I liked Costa Rica that was about 17 years ago.

It's safe enough you can really do whatever, don't need to stay at a big resort. I took the bus from the Capitol to the beach where my friend was getting married.

Just watch out for pretty thieves, they got my unattended backpack off the beach.

We head up to Northern Ontario every January to ice fish for trophy walleyes. Always room for more but new couples do the dishes and make the drinks.
giphy.gif

I liked Costa Rica that was about 17 years ago.

It's safe enough you can really do whatever, don't need to stay at a big resort. I took the bus from the Capitol to the beach where my friend was getting married.

Just watch out for pretty thieves, they got my unattended backpack off the beach.

I'll second Costa Rica. We absolutely loved it. We stayed in the rain forests a few days, hiking, zip lining, etc. and then 3-4 days on the beach. Perfect combination for us. Punta Cana was one of the places we've been that we wouldn't go back, but that's just us, many others love it there. Puerto Rico is also nice, you'll feel like you're in a different country with many comforts of being in a U.S. controlled island.

Go Gophers!!

The navy moved out years ago.
Thanks for the correction -my bad.
IIRC 60 minutes did a piece on the unexplored ordinances which still litter the island.

I’d still skip it based on the following -

Thanks for the correction -my bad.
IIRC 60 minutes did a piece on the unexplored ordinances which still litter the island.

I’d still skip it based on the following -

I've been there twice. Only went to the beaches the Navy had in their vicinity once. Was like we were the first humans to walk the sand. Very cool. Hopefully no cancer.

The other beaches were great. An adventure to get there but incredibly picturesque.

I've been there twice. Only went to the beaches the Navy had in their vicinity once. Was like we were the first humans to walk the sand. Very cool. Hopefully no cancer.

The other beaches were great. An adventure to get there but incredibly picturesque.
Glad you liked it and can provide a first hand account vs. my non-experienced take.

I would third Costa Rica. Since the 90's, they've been teaching every student English, so the only ones who don't speak English are the old timers and immigrants (they have a lot from Columbia, Venezuela, etc, and have a very similar visceral pro/con with them as Americans do with Mexicans and other Hispanics). Affordable and generally safe; third richest country in the Americas behind US and Canada. Most places take both local currency (colones), or USD.

Did similar to Bleed - spent half in the rain forest and half on the beach, snorkeling, etc. The beach at Manuel Antonio State Park may be Heaven on Earth, IMO. Also just randomly picked a few beaches that looked out-of-the way to tourists, brought a lunch and spent the day there with the locals. By far better than the couple times we've been to Mexico (honestly, it's not even comparable). The rainforests and wildlife are mind blowing. We aren't "resort-type" people, which has something to do with it. Tons of hiking, adventures, etc. if you're looking to not just sit around.

Some of the roads there are pretty horrific. We made sure to get a 4x4, and really appreciated it. Depending on where you're going, that may be something to look into. Additionally, if you're doing tours at nature preserves, national parks, etc., get a guide - they will spot the wildlife for you with binoculars and it makes the experience much better.

I would third Costa Rica. Since the 90's, they've been teaching every student English, so the only ones who don't speak English are the old timers and immigrants (they have a lot from Columbia, Venezuela, etc, and have a very similar visceral pro/con with them as Americans do with Mexicans and other Hispanics). Affordable and generally safe; third richest country in the Americas behind US and Canada. Most places take both local currency (colones), or USD.

Did similar to Bleed - spent half in the rain forest and half on the beach, snorkeling, etc. The beach at Manuel Antonio State Park may be Heaven on Earth, IMO. Also just randomly picked a few beaches that looked out-of-the way to tourists, brought a lunch and spent the day there with the locals. By far better than the couple times we've been to Mexico (honestly, it's not even comparable). The rainforests and wildlife are mind blowing. We aren't "resort-type" people, which has something to do with it. Tons of hiking, adventures, etc. if you're looking to not just sit around.

Some of the roads there are pretty horrific. We made sure to get a 4x4, and really appreciated it. Depending on where you're going, that may be something to look into. Additionally, if you're doing tours at nature preserves, national parks, etc., get a guide - they will spot the wildlife for you with binoculars and it makes the experience much better.
So you rented a vehicle and drove around yourself?

You're making me want to go back. I also went to Manuel Antonio State Park when I was there.

Another question: do you guys use a travel agent or book it yourself? We had a good experience using our agent for our honeymoon. I'm not sure if there's much cost savings or not using them.

So you rented a vehicle and drove around yourself?
Yes. They require you to have “damage waiver insurance”, but if you have proof your credit card covers it (many do), you don’t need it from the rental agency, which will save a good amount of money. We went to 4 different places, so we really needed a car. Suzuki Jimny FTW!

IMG_5252.jpeg

Top Bottom