Treyton Thompson

Wow, very underwhelming reviews of Thompson here. How did he ever get a 4-star rating? (One of the recruiting services)
Played for D1 Minnesota and is 6'11. I watched him a lot this summer and never came away impressed reminds me a lot of Freeman. I watched a scrimmage between D1 and the Heat and Tschetter absolutely destroyed him

Treyton has always been a long term type recruit. and he wont be a guy we will really have to rely on getting much PT next year. So we can be patient with him. i think he can certainly bring something to the table down the road for the Gophers. He and Pohto are guys that clearly need to get better but we are in a decent spot with our roster that neither of them will need to be relied on at least their 1st year here.

this recuiting cycle has been pretty quite all around which was to be expected. Now if Carr leaves we will certainly be on the prowl for a grad transfer guard to help replace his minutes.

There is not a single person on the team that red shirted under Pitino for the purpose of playing time and improving. Carr reshirted due to having to sit out his sophomore season with the transfer. Curry redshirted his sophomore season with the knee injury. I highly doubt this trend will change in 2021-2022. I would argue there is a better chance Thomson transfers out his sophomore season than he redshirts his freshman season.
This. If Freeman didn't redshirt in 19/20, it pretty much means nobody will, considering all he saw was a few garbage minutes all season. Appears that's all Mitchell will see this season as well.

Played for D1 Minnesota and is 6'11. I watched him a lot this summer and never came away impressed reminds me a lot of Freeman. I watched a scrimmage between D1 and the Heat and Tschetter absolutely destroyed him
Not when I watched the two teams play in AAU this summer for a championship. Treyton got the better of Will that day. I think they both could've actually complimented each other quite well if they had both been Gophers.

Not when I watched the two teams play in AAU this summer for a championship. Treyton got the better of Will that day. I think they both could've actually complimented each other quite well if they had both been Gophers.

Whew, good to hear this.

Whew, good to hear this.
One of my favorite things about the college game is i have seen too many to count players ranked lower than these two go on to become all conference players and conference champions. Besides that there are so many ways for players to help a team win.

One of my favorite things about the college game is i have seen too many to count players ranked lower than these two go on to become all conference players and conference champions. Besides that there are so many ways for players to help a team win.
With a good work ethic and good coaching, he will be an asset in one form or another.

Agree. The programs that i am referring to started doing it in year 3 of the program and since. In several cases the players still made the NBA, more than one of those with masters degrees, all with conference championships.
Can I ask what specific player you’re saying redshirted and made the nba plus won conference championships.

Can I ask what specific player you’re saying redshirted and made the nba plus won conference championships.
Malcom Brogdon, Deandre Hunter,Devin Hall, Frank Kiminski, Villanova with more than one. Brogdon became NBA rookie of the year and is now making 20 plus million a year with a Masters.

Malcom Brogdon, Deandre Hunter,Devin Hall, Frank Kiminski, Villanova with more than one. Brogdon became NBA rookie of the year and is now making 20 plus million a year with a Masters.
Kaminski didn’t redshirt at Wisconsin. Brogdon redshirted his sophomore season after a foot injury his freshman season. Anthony hall may have redshirted because he had Malcom Brogdon as a junior ahead of him at Virginia.

Thompson starts next year next to Chet and rains threes over his smaller defender. I can see it now.

Well, our very own Liam Robbins is an example of improvement from hard work and good coaching. As a 7-footer, he couldn’t even get a scholarship until after going to prep school. Even then and after losing 50 pounds of blubber, Drake was his best offer. Look at him now. There is hope!

shocking, a 7 footer that weighs 180 lbs isn't big ready

Kaminski didn’t redshirt at Wisconsin. Brogdon redshirted his sophomore season after a foot injury his freshman season. Anthony hall may have redshirted because he had Malcom Brogdon as a junior ahead of him at Virginia.
Stand corrected on Kaminski, he was asked to do so but refused and so he played 7 minutes as a freshman and 10 as a sophmore. Brogdon did not have to sit that year, but chose it when suggested and talked to his highly educated parents. Hall's name is Devon, no big deal but he redshirted when Perrantes, another freshman lower ranked beat him out. Bennett often plays 2 points, one primary, just like he did with Jerome and Clark. London was by far the primary.I went to a half dozen practices that year and 8 games. You did not even mention Hunter, the best of all of them with defensive player of the year, ACC champs, National Champs and the 4th pick in the draft.Murphy transferred there to sit out but now gets the free year and will play in the NBA, another lower level recruit. Gill did it as a kid not highly ranked kid as a transfer, loved the year and made the NBA this year . There are wonderful examples of kids that became conferebce championship starters. Kadin Shedrick did it last year and will benefit huge and so will his team. Not for the free year McCorkel was doing it this year.

This. If Freeman didn't redshirt in 19/20, it pretty much means nobody will, considering all he saw was a few garbage minutes all season. Appears that's all Mitchell will see this season as well.

Mitchel looked like he has some offensive skills during the garbage minutes against Michigan, Pitino needs to find him some playing time.

Not to change this thread into a redshirting debate, but Deandre Hunter only played two seasons at Virginia. That didn't pay off for Virginia at all - unless you think for some strange reason that Hunter would have been harmed playing his freshman year, then Virginia only got two years out of a great player instead of three.

Redshirting pays off only if the player stays five years AND he has enough talent that the team wouldn't want to trade him in for his scholarship. For example, it would have been awful to redshirt Hurt or Konate or Diedhiou (the list could go on and on) and use up a fifth year of scholarship.

The list of successful redshirts is small and growing smaller, and ignores the many, many, many, many instances where players redshirted and then transferred or went pro early or simply weren't good enough to justify the extra year. Modern college basketball, and the relentless inter-team movement of players, suggests that redshirting is just a very poor bet.

Remember when we had people arguing that it would be a great idea to redshirt David Mutaf?

Remember how horrible Robbins was on this board after 3 games? Thompson will be NPOY because he already sucks months before even arriving on campus.

If he had committed to wisconsin would be seen as a gopher recruiting miss. He has committed to the gophers and is also seen as a gopher recruiting miss.

If he had committed to wisconsin would be seen as a gopher recruiting miss. He has committed to the gophers and is also seen as a gopher recruiting miss.

When all the experts were saying what a waste of a scholarship was for Freeman and now people complain incessantly about his lack of PT.

I can help but compare Treyton with Elliot Eliason in my head. Big white guys with no grace. Hopefully he develops into a post threat.

Not to change this thread into a redshirting debate, but Deandre Hunter only played two seasons at Virginia. That didn't pay off for Virginia at all - unless you think for some strange reason that Hunter would have been harmed playing his freshman year, then Virginia only got two years out of a great player instead of three.

Redshirting pays off only if the player stays five years AND he has enough talent that the team wouldn't want to trade him in for his scholarship. For example, it would have been awful to redshirt Hurt or Konate or Diedhiou (the list could go on and on) and use up a fifth year of scholarship.

The list of successful redshirts is small and growing smaller, and ignores the many, many, many, many instances where players redshirted and then transferred or went pro early or simply weren't good enough to justify the extra year. Modern college basketball, and the relentless inter-team movement of players, suggests that redshirting is just a very poor bet.

Remember when we had people arguing that it would be a great idea to redshirt David Mutaf?
It may have turned out he would have stayed 5. to his credit and the staff his improvement in all areas, specifically strength, ball handling. He would have played maybe 2 minutes as a true frosh but this way he was able to focus nearly all his practice time on strength and skills. It paid of huge for all involved with a ACC title, a National Title and being the 4th pick in the draft. Not for cover, UVA was planning on two more redshirts and will continue to do so. So will Villanova and UW. I think it is a fantastic tool for those coaches and players who actually talk it over with a honest assessment and a deep trust of a much larger picture. Takes a certain kind of kid and a certain kind of coaching staff including the strength coach as well as a awesome start on academics. Often it is used on the best prospect in Bennett class. This has been talked about and planned carefully and that will continue.

I can help but compare Treyton with Elliot Eliason in my head. Big white guys with no grace. Hopefully he develops into a post threat.

The hell are you smoking? Have you ever seen either of these people? Thompson shows more skill in this video than EE did in his career as a gopher. Maybe I missed the jab step 3s from Eliason?

Elliot Eliason lol, not sure EE every pushed it up the floor and dished like at 1:17 or knocked down a bunch of 3's.

Top Bottom