Treyton Thompson

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
Just got done watching his game this morning on ESPNU and I have the following observations:
1. He needs lots of development. Anyone that thinks he’s going to step on the court next year and provide any real help in the Big Ten games, will be IMO disappointed
2. He starts for his squad, but he is probably their fifth option. I saw him touch the ball three times. He traveled twice and bobbled a pass which led to a turnover. He did make two free throws and those were the only two points and I saw him score
3. He seems incredibly timid on the court
4. On the bright side, he seems to move well, runs the court, and please decent defense. He doesn’t strike me as being uncoordinated. It’s just going to take a lot of work.
5. I am amazed that looking at this game he would be a Division I recruit. They did refer to him on the broadcast as a three star. I don’t give a crap about stars.
Just my two cents.

In short, I agree. I've seen Pohto play as well, and while given a small sample size, I absolutely think Pohto gets court time before Treyton does for the Gophers.

Pros: Like OP said, Treyton moves well and appears to have a smooth shot (which he rarely uses). Does pretty well being in the right spots on defense and keeping his assignment.
Things to work on: An extreme non-factor on the glass, looks pretty raw with the ball in his hands, and needs to put on about 20 lbs of muscle.

I think the hope here is that he can eventually develop into a dependable rotational piece for the Gophers. Develop is the key word. I think we've seen alot of guys with "potential" never come even close to realizing it. The hope here is that he develops as much as possible.

Next year he will get good work in against Ihnen and Mitchell, which should really help his development.

Thompson needs work. IMO Redshirt candidate depending on who comes back. Talked to players who played against him this summer, coaches who saw him play, refs that reffed him and I watched him play on line 2-3 times... everyone says he needs work.

Happy as hell he wants to be a Gopher. I think he can develop need to be patient.

Thompson needs work. IMO Redshirt candidate depending on who comes back. Talked to players who played against him this summer, coaches who saw him play, refs that reffed him and I watched him play on line 2-3 times... everyone says he needs work.

Happy as hell he wants to be a Gopher. I think he can develop need to be patient.

Pitino is developing somewhat of a track record of getting the most out of his big men.

Pitino is developing somewhat of a track record of getting the most out of his big men.

I like that the red shirting option.

I know Curry can come back, but what about BJ since he's a grad transfer?

Other than some of these new 7 foot PGs, hasn't the adage usually been that big guys develop their game a little slower - especially when they need to fill out? I won't be upset if he takes time to develop but because of that, ends up being the rare high-quality solid 4 year contributor.

Iowa, Texas Tech, Oklahoma also offered Treyton Thompson.

Johnson can come back. Will he? Who knows. I hope he does. I like him

He's in an interesting spot. I don't see him playing in the Association, but i think he'd do well overseas. Who knows?? We'll have to see how the season ends up and who else we end up recruiting.

I'd love for him to come back too. This season is offering lots of interesting levels for a fan.

Johnson can come back. Will he? Who knows. I hope he does. I like him

Johnson just feels like that kind of player who is steady enough, but has the capability on any given night to go off like he did vs Iowa the first time. Would love to see that guy make an appearance (or few) in the tournament.

As some others have mentioned, he’s just going to take the traditional path for a big in college. Stashed and developed for a couple years before being relied upon...nothing wrong with that at all. Pohto is more in the mold of your Eric Curry like plug and play big. Should give us solid minutes at the backup 5 if it’s needed next year. Treyton is too skilled not to have a productive Gopher career, just gonna need time.

He's in an interesting spot. I don't see him playing in the Association, but i think he'd do well overseas. Who knows?? We'll have to see how the season ends up and who else we end up recruiting.

I'd love for him to come back too. This season is offering lots of interesting levels for a fan.

I don’t know where he is at in terms of his education. And I don’t know enough about overseas contracts/whatever either. But if it doesn’t hurt his overseas prospects I’d imagine he can play next year, earn a graduate degree and go from there.

Pohto is on ESPNU right now. Looks pretty slow footed but has made some nice passes and a solid looking shot (just drilled a 3).

I don’t know where he is at in terms of his education. And I don’t know enough about overseas contracts/whatever either. But if it doesn’t hurt his overseas prospects I’d imagine he can play next year, earn a graduate degree and go from there.

Good points and it's fun to have this type of conversation vs. the Gaston/Bakary dialogue form the not to distant past.

Good points and it's fun to have this type of conversation vs. the Gaston/Bakary dialogue form the not to distant past.

I like Bakary, because he was so emotional that he got to graduate from the U on senior night he could barely speak. He was very proud to be a gopher. Not a good player but he loved it here. Wish every kid felt that way, we’d be amazing.

Assuming Carr leaves, and unless Gach has something to say about it, the Gophers are really lacking a go-to guy next year beyond having some really nice pieces. If Brandon Johnson stuck around and had one of those blow up senior years like Quincy Lewis had back in the daaaaaaaaaaaaay, that could be fun.

(*Quincy went from averaging 14 points as a Junior to 23 his Senior year.)

I like Bakary, because he was so emotional that he got to graduate from the U on senior night he could barely speak. He was very proud to be a gopher. Not a good player but he loved it here. Wish every kid felt that way, we’d be amazing.
Well said.

I'm glad they both graduated and that it meant that much to them - was also very happy Pitino didn't run them off either.

I was referring to playing ability only.

Just got done watching his game this morning on ESPNU and I have the following observations:
1. He needs lots of development. Anyone that thinks he’s going to step on the court next year and provide any real help in the Big Ten games, will be IMO disappointed
2. He starts for his squad, but he is probably their fifth option. I saw him touch the ball three times. He traveled twice and bobbled a pass which led to a turnover. He did make two free throws and those were the only two points and I saw him score
3. He seems incredibly timid on the court
4. On the bright side, he seems to move well, runs the court, and please decent defense. He doesn’t strike me as being uncoordinated. It’s just going to take a lot of work.
5. I am amazed that looking at this game he would be a Division I recruit. They did refer to him on the broadcast as a three star. I don’t give a crap about stars.
Just my two cents.
Had a really really bad game today. He does need to continue to add strength and be a little more aggressive at times. I watched him Sunday on ESPN3 and he looked solid. He doesn't get many touches at all as many times their guards just look off the bigs even when they have great deep post position and Pohto deals with a lot of the same issues at Sunrise. Great passer, solid screener, good looking stroke, and very smart player. He isn't gonna step right in and be a star or anything next year but he can definitely play a solid role off the bench.

In the days of mass transfer I’m not sure you can redshirt a kid and assume they will stock around for year #2.

In the days of mass transfer I’m not sure you can redshirt a kid and assume they will stock around for year #2.
You do not make a player redshirt. You talk to them about what is gained. More than one great program has and will continue to do it and very nearly each time with their best player in that class. Sometimes they are a kid that missed a year of high school with a injury, some are bigs who take longer. Some are weaker than they need to be if they are in a program with grown men that have experience. Some like the idea of gaining academically and getting a masters. Each kid is different, different goals, different values, different maturity, different family needs. Some kids are heavily influenced by peers, hangers on, even relatives and the ratings which tell them they are bound for stardom. This is often a part of a eval where you do not even want a kid if he is not open minded about a larger picture. From there, if he gets to campus he is seen with and against teammates and given a projection for playing time. You lay out that you see two seniors ahead of him and that his upside may be 6-10 minutes and he is welcome to give it a go. Or he can pick another option, remember these are kids that are dying to play for this coach in that culture. They have a trust for the coach, they learn more from upperclassmen who share their experiences.Covid changed it this year and the free year or several programs already had the redshirt worked out.

You do not make a player redshirt. You talk to them about what is gained. More than one great program has and will continue to do it and very nearly each time with their best player in that class. Sometimes they are a kid that missed a year of high school with a injury, some are bigs who take longer. Some are weaker than they need to be if they are in a program with grown men that have experience. Some like the idea of gaining academically and getting a masters. Each kid is different, different goals, different values, different maturity, different family needs. Some kids are heavily influenced by peers, hangers on, even relatives and the ratings which tell them they are bound for stardom. This is often a part of a eval where you do not even want a kid if he is not open minded about a larger picture. From there, if he gets to campus he is seen with and against teammates and given a projection for playing time. You lay out that you see two seniors ahead of him and that his upside may be 6-10 minutes and he is welcome to give it a go. Or he can pick another option, remember these are kids that are dying to play for this coach in that culture. They have a trust for the coach, they learn more from upperclassmen who share their experiences.Covid changed it this year and the free year or several programs already had the redshirt worked out.
There is not a single person on the team that red shirted under Pitino for the purpose of playing time and improving. Carr reshirted due to having to sit out his sophomore season with the transfer. Curry redshirted his sophomore season with the knee injury. I highly doubt this trend will change in 2021-2022. I would argue there is a better chance Thomson transfers out his sophomore season than he redshirts his freshman season.

There is not a single person on the team that red shirted under Pitino for the purpose of playing time and improving. Carr reshirted due to having to sit out his sophomore season with the transfer. Curry redshirted his sophomore season with the knee injury. I highly doubt this trend will change in 2021-2022. I would argue there is a better chance Thomson transfers out his sophomore season than he redshirts his freshman season.
I never said under Pitino. In fact i think that is a flaw but we were not likely recruiting that kind of kid or with that kind of approach. I was simply pointing out how other programs have used it and will continue to do so.

Gophers haven’t had the luxury to consider a red shirt. You establish a winning program you can create that option. The Gophers most years have been plugging holes. You create a winning tradition with the right environment it becomes more of a realistic option

Gophers haven’t had the luxury to consider a red shirt. You establish a winning program you can create that option. The Gophers most years have been plugging holes. You create a winning tradition with the right environment it becomes more of a realistic option
Agree. The programs that i am referring to started doing it in year 3 of the program and since. In several cases the players still made the NBA, more than one of those with masters degrees, all with conference championships.

Thompson has underwhelmed me when I've seen him play with his old HS team and AAU team but he does seem to fit the mold of a solid role-playing big. His mobility defensively is something to work with. And while he's not strong, he's so long and quick off his feet that he can be useful as a defender against so many of the pick-n-roll happy teams across the country.

He's got a soft shooting touch on the team he's on right now, he's marginalized in a big way. And he was never much of an impact offensive guy for his AAU team either.

I've got low expectations for him - be a decent role player - hopefully he doesn't have an ego that keeps him from being that type of player for us.

Wow, very underwhelming reviews of Thompson here. How did he ever get a 4-star rating? (One of the recruiting services)

Top Bottom