Treyton Thompson has officially entered the transfer portal

Was he a 4*? I don’t remember that score being assigned to him.

I remember wanting Kenny Pohto more than TT.
he was ranked in the top 100 4* when he committed here in 2019...
when he signed he was still a 4* in that top 130 range
by the time he got to campus he was a 3* top 200ish player

Well, hopefully, the coach learned from that experience. I also think that Charlie Daniels, as limited as he was, did offer more in his one year than Thompson did this season. As far as Ogele, well, the less said the better.
Front court looks just a little better than it did when we had to go to the likes of Daniels for meaningful minutes.

Assuming we can get anything out of Fox and Ihnen we have a pretty solid collection of front court options.

Thompson transferring is a non factor because he was a non factor. Maybe he would have developed into a serviceable big man but we just didn't have a need for a 7 footer that couldn't play with his back to the basket.

Front court looks just a little better than it did when we had to go to the likes of Daniels for meaningful minutes.

Assuming we can get anything out of Fox and Ihnen we have a pretty solid collection of front court options.

Thompson transferring is a non factor because he was a non factor. Maybe he would have developed into a serviceable big man but we just didn't have a need for a 7 footer that couldn't play with his back to the basket.
Ben said ihnen is a guard.

I hope our University pays more than others and gets better players- no doubt about it! And by the way- can we just put our Final Four banners up for heaven's sake? :)
I'd put the banners up anyways. The NCAA is irrelevant, the UNCheat and NIL court cases have proven that.

I was reflecting on this new for a day before opening this thread. Most of my thoughts have been covered by others here, but these were the things I was thinking. This situation stinks. Thompson:
-wanted to be a Gopher
-kept his commitment from Pitino to Johnson
-did what was asked of him last year
-I thought when he was an ironman in that short-handed win vs Rutgers last year that maybe Johnson had found a way to use him in that 2-3 zone
-suffered strange usage this year from starting to MIA

None of this sits great with me and now there’s certainly a non-zero chance Ramberg and Purcell both have scholarships next year
I never could figure out why TT didn’t get some minutes, especially when we needed a big man presence on D or were struggling on the boards. He hustled hard. I feel bad for TT. I hope he shows what he has elsewhere. Sometimes you just need a better chance. TT transferred because he wasn’t really given those chances.

I never could figure out why TT didn’t get some minutes, especially when we needed a big man presence on D or were struggling on the boards. He hustled hard. I feel bad for TT. I hope he shows what he has elsewhere. Sometimes you just need a better chance. TT transferred because he wasn’t really given those chances.
On Ben’s team you get a chance if you can dance. Some said TT couldn’t dance

Something definately didn't seem right the whole season with TT. Makes you wonder. I wonder why his shooting dropped off as badly as it did this year.

Or, he could suck.

But, I wish him well too. I'm glad he's attracting interest.
A lot of guys who suck got more run than Thompson. I have no idea how he was in practice but if it was purely basketball-related, he should have played more. I have no way of knowing if there was more to his lack of PT (didn't work hard, attitude, etc.), so I'm not blaming anyone. But sucking does absolutely NOT prohibit someone from getting PT.

I'm old enough to remember Leo Rautins playing well for Syracuse. . . .fortunately Gophers were in a better position talent-wise at that time, but it still stung
Leo’s dad wanted him to have 30 shots a game. Impossible given the talent around him at the U. Will Humphries a generation earlier.

He has some talent...just not Big Ten talent, I think he'd thrive in mid-major action.
Seems like he’s found his level - he’s still going to get a free education and have experiences that most of us would give our left nut 🌰 for - he’s still coming out ahead in the end.

Those are about right for him. Get his feet back under him and maybe make the NCAAs!
better chance of making the dance at a few of those schools than here!

but yup some of those seem like solid choices for him and where he is at as a player

Would be fairly comical if he goes to Montana State, does relatively well there, and lasts long than Ben last here as the coach.

A lot of guys who suck got more run than Thompson. I have no idea how he was in practice but if it was purely basketball-related, he should have played more. I have no way of knowing if there was more to his lack of PT (didn't work hard, attitude, etc.), so I'm not blaming anyone. But sucking does absolutely NOT prohibit someone from getting PT.
I'll be frank, from my observation coaching, playing, and being a high school referee, he didn't put in the work, plain and simple. At this level, everyone is good, you just can't show up, dominate, and expect to play.

I'll be frank, from my observation coaching, playing, and being a high school referee, he didn't put in the work, plain and simple. At this level, everyone is good, you just can't show up, dominate, and expect to play.
Honestly, I think he probably did work hard. I have a coworker that had seen him play in high school and said he was too slow and skinny and was a face the basket player. In HS he was able to be dominant based on his height so going to prep school likely did do some good. He wasn’t playing much in prep school either from what I understand yet I still held out hope it would work for him here. I think a step down in conference is likely the best for him though.

In HS he was able to be dominant based on his height so going to prep school likely did do some good.
TT didn't "dominate" in high school though, pretty sure he averaged like 15 and 8 as a junior at Alex. Very solid, but far from dominating numbers considering his height.

Wish TT best of luck regardless of where he ends up. Think he has a chance to be successful dropping down a level.

Hope he does well. It just did not work out for him here.

Honestly, I think he probably did work hard. I have a coworker that had seen him play in high school and said he was too slow and skinny and was a face the basket player. In HS he was able to be dominant based on his height so going to prep school likely did do some good. He wasn’t playing much in prep school either from what I understand yet I still held out hope it would work for him here. I think a step down in conference is likely the best for him though.
I tend to disagree that the prep school route did him any good. I saw a couple of their games on ESPN and he hardly played and when he did he basically was a screener of stood out by the 3 point line to clear the lane for their superstars to go 1 on 1. He looked so passive. Personally, I think he would've been better staying and dominating and gaining confidence in MN. Just my opinion.

I tend to disagree that the prep school route did him any good. I saw a couple of their games on ESPN and he hardly played and when he did he basically was a screener of stood out by the 3 point line to clear the lane for their superstars to go 1 on 1. He looked so passive. Personally, I think he would've been better staying and dominating and gaining confidence in MN. Just my opinion.
Playing against better competition was probably more beneficial than staying in HS. Whether it actually did him any good I would agree is debatable. Best of luck to him anyway.

I could see him just "showing up" and doing well in Alex. But didn't he play AAU ball and then go to some prep school for his senior season?

I could see him just "showing up" and doing well in Alex. But didn't he play AAU ball and then go to some prep school for his senior season?
Went to LaLumiere in Indiana, the Montverde Academy/IMG Academy of the North. He didn't get much run there, everyone is All-American there. You're right, he could show up at Alex and put up serviceable numbers.

Top Bottom