Treyton Thompson... Deceiving?

GopherBlood777

Reaction score
1675797446320.png
This is the box score from the Maryland game. Treyton Thompson again has one of the best +/- figures even when accounting for his lack of minutes compared to others. Thompson individually still seems awkward and anti-productive at times, the team seems to play better when he is on the court. Is Ben intentionally trying to run him off? (I am guessing yes)

Ramberg the only other plus guy on the team, and he only played one minute the other day if I recall correctly...with others playing so many minutes that they were clearly sagging toward the end of the game. Will isn't a star, but he moves well without the ball and exterts effort--and can give people like Battle a break once in a while.

Does this feel like deja vu, like our criticisms of Pitino for not spreading minutes and playing experience around so the other guys can develop and become viable pieces? It's the same vicious cycle as before: they don't play their depth because they're not good enough, and they're not good enough because they don't play their depth.

He's not deceiving anyone. He doesn't belong on a BIG 10 roster. He wants to be a stretch 4 but he is 3-24 on 3 pointers. That is 12.5%. I don't care if he thinks he's a shooter, the facts don't back it up. He also can't play the 5. It is beyond bad coaching to allow him to continue to try more 3's.

View attachment 23818
This is the box score from the Maryland game. Treyton Thompson again has one of the best +/- figures even when accounting for his lack of minutes compared to others. Thompson individually still seems awkward and anti-productive at times, the team seems to play better when he is on the court. Is Ben intentionally trying to run him off? (I am guessing yes)
I think we already established that +/- can be very deceiving. You can go 0-4 with 2 turnovers and 2 fouls, but if the rest of the team is doing great, your +/- can be high. Conversely, you can hit 3 straight shots with a couple of steals and some decent defense, but if the rest of the team is stinking it up, your +/- could be negative. Over the course of a full season with a decent amount of non-garbage-time minutes, it can be a somewhat useful stat. Nothing I put any stock into on a "game at a time" snapshot basis.

He's not deceiving anyone. He doesn't belong on a BIG 10 roster. He wants to be a stretch 4 but he is 3-24 on 3 pointers. That is 12.5%. I don't care if he thinks he's a shooter, the facts don't back it up. He also can't play the 5. It is beyond bad coaching to allow him to continue to try more 3's.
When you speak of facts then you can include last year. He shot 40% 3 last year so clearly he can do it. We know Ben sees him do it in practice too. It is just a head game with him right now. He should keep shooting as far as I am concerned but also work on his interior game. I think he is a great leader on the team and is a fantastic asset even if he doesn't play many minutes. He hasn't shown a lot of improvement from last year in on the court, in play making, but there is no doubt he can contribute when he is playing confident and not worrying about his performance. You only need to go back to the Michigan game last year when he played 40 minutes and we beat Michigan in Michigan. I for one hopes he plays his whole career here no matter how many minutes he plays.

+/- can be very deceiving however being really tall has a bigger impact on the game of basketball than sometimes our eyes can tell us. It could all be luck because he plays so few minutes but the Gophers, at times, do seem to play better basketball with Thompson on the court (which should get fans excited about Evans).

When you speak of facts then you can include last year. He shot 40% 3 last year so clearly he can do it. We know Ben sees him do it in practice too. It is just a head game with him right now. He should keep shooting as far as I am concerned but also work on his interior game. I think he is a great leader on the team and is a fantastic asset even if he doesn't play many minutes. He hasn't shown a lot of improvement from last year in on the court, in play making, but there is no doubt he can contribute when he is playing confident and not worrying about his performance. You only need to go back to the Michigan game last year when he played 40 minutes and we beat Michigan in Michigan. I for one hopes he plays his whole career here no matter how many minutes he plays.
We haven't done a great job, yet, of defining roles for players and building them in those roles. It feels like we are running the same sets with Garcia, Thompson, or Payne at the 5. That isn't setting them up for success (IMO).

Ramberg the only other plus guy on the team, and he only played one minute the other day if I recall correctly...with others playing so many minutes that they were clearly sagging toward the end of the game. Will isn't a star, but he moves well without the ball and exterts effort--and can give people like Battle a break once in a while.

Does this feel like deja vu, like our criticisms of Pitino for not spreading minutes and playing experience around so the other guys can develop and become viable pieces? It's the same vicious cycle as before: they don't play their depth because they're not good enough, and they're not good enough because they don't play their depth.
It appeared BJ didn't develop a bench or develop players for 2023 by sticking to a heavily senior line up in 2022 for the sake of winning. ( which proved to back fire during the B1G season). TT's development suffered.
This year he seems to use TT if he has to. So my impression is he won't be disappointed if he transfers.

Same for Carrington…but the Carrington backers would argue…he makes them in practice though. - neither should be on the roster

View attachment 23818
When are going to propose to him...and will you share the video? 😏

TT does alter shots because of his length. With is 12.5% shooting, Ben needs to get shots for him from the inside first and then outside. That is on Ben to define and put his players in roles where the team can succeed. He physically needs more time to develop as he is easily pushed out of position. He does hustle. The Gophers are just dreadful on defense, especially team defense.

Bigs take longer to develop. It certainly appears Ben is encouraging him to leave as he has Ihnen and Fox for 2 more years each too, which is also what TT would have left for eligibility.

In another lost season, it does no good to run your core players to the ground again like Ben does. TT and Ramberg need more minutes. Henley is still a mess at times and is getting more minutes with Carrington out.

Easy target Yeah he’s the reason we are one of the worst teams in the country. The need to pile on the eighth or ninth man on this team is ridiculous.

It appeared BJ didn't develop a bench or develop players for 2023 by sticking to a heavily senior line up in 2022 for the sake of winning. ( which proved to back fire during the B1G season). TT's development suffered.
This year he seems to use TT if he has to. So my impression is he won't be disappointed if he transfers.
Ben just pulled a roster together last year and everyone bailed (or graduated) after the season, except Battle. This year he put his freshmen on the floor and took 3 transfers. He's trying to develop on the fly and hopefully next year will see some improvement. Next year will be make or break for his tenure.

I will say Thompson does a few things better this year than last year, although his shooting so far this year has been dismal. He's being more physical and rebounding a bit better, he's turned it over fewer times per min than last year, and he made a jump hook this year, the only "big man" move I've ever seen him make.

The issue is his inability to be effective down low, both from a physical strength perspective defensively and from a lack of any post moves. This puts a lot of pressure on him to make 3s as his only offensive option. Give him credit for the hard work he's put in, but I don't see him getting many minutes at all next year unless he makes an astounding jump in his strength and his effectiveness.

I will be shocked if Thompson is still on the roster next year. With Evans, Payne, Garcia, Ola Joseph, and the potential of Fox, Ihnen, Battle all being in the mix as well there just aren't going to be any front court minutes to go around.

He needs to drop down some in class and find a place where he can log regular minutes as a tall jump shooter.

Watching Trenton block out, I could see his future as a matador, a doorman, a greeter at Walmart, a small town in North Dakota or an attendant at an automated toll booth.

I will be shocked if Thompson is still on the roster next year. With Evans, Payne, Garcia, Ola Joseph, and the potential of Fox, Ihnen, Battle all being in the mix as well there just aren't going to be any front court minutes to go around.

He needs to drop down some in class and find a place where he can log regular minutes as a tall jump shooter.
CBJ should have told him that when he took over. He didnt. I hope the kid stays.

If everyone was going to be OK with this year's dumpster fire, there is absolutely no reason why Daniels' minutes were given to Thompson.

Easy target Yeah he’s the reason we are one of the worst teams in the country. The need to pile on the eighth or ninth man on this team is ridiculous.
Not to mention that he is a local guy who really wants to be here. Completely agree that piling on the 8-9 player is absurd, and spitting into the ocean of a very bad situation.

If everyone was going to be OK with this year's dumpster fire, there is absolutely no reason why Daniels' minutes were given to Thompson.
From the posts I don't think everyone was going to be OK with this year's dumpster fire...and if BJ wasn't intent on developing TT and told TT he wasn't going to try and develop him then shame on TT for not transfering...if he didn't tell TT his plans for him shame on BJ.

Same for Carrington…but the Carrington backers would argue…he makes them in practice though. - neither should be on the roster
Aside from Garcia none of them can. Carrington isn’t worse than the rest.

Ben just pulled a roster together last year and everyone bailed (or graduated) after the season, except Battle. This year he put his freshmen on the floor and took 3 transfers. He's trying to develop on the fly and hopefully next year will see some improvement. Next year will be make or break for his tenure.
Some of this is true and some of this doesn't really make sense.

He isn't trying to develop on the fly anymore than any other coach. He wasn't hired exceptionally late. He has brought in a large number of transfers with multi-years of eligibility. He is playing bad SR transfers over recruits with significantly more eligibility.

Hate to say it but Thompson should go to Wisconsin. Get on the Reuvers weight program and he'd probably turn into a decent player as a Junior / Senior with a RS year.

Why is Ben running Treyton and Ramberg off the team?

Wet, that’s nonsense. Carrington has played 14 games, it seems silly to explain to someone that it’s too early to KNOW his career arc. I not going to argue with you and you might continue to give him the Wet treatment…but it looks kind of weird.

Not to mention that he is a local guy who really wants to be here. Completely agree that piling on the 8-9 player is absurd, and spitting into the ocean of a very bad situation.
I get this year has made GH toxic and folks are pissed off and surly. I just hope the players and their families aren't on here reading some of the comments. They're still college kids trying to do their best. There's a difference between being critical and being nasty.

Top Bottom