Trey Potts Update.

NoelarBear

Reaction score
P.J. Fleck just said in his press conference that he doesn’t expect Potts to return this year.

Good news is that he is back in Minnesota and out of the hospital. Have to do what is best for him.

Last edited:

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
P.J. Fleck just said in his press conference that he doesn’t expect Potts to return this year.

Good news is that he is back in Minnesota and out of the hospital. Have to do what is best for him.
Disappointing but not surprising given how things were playing out.

Would assume at this point that we will get a real good look at what Irving and Thomas are capable of. They might not be fully ready but they are going to have to grow up quickly.

Thank goodness we have a really experienced offensive line, that should help a little when dealing with young, inexperienced RBs.

noamfromm

Reaction score

Would assume at this point that we will get a real good look at what Irving and Thomas are capable of. They might not be fully ready but they are going to have to grow up quickly.

Thank goodness we have a really experienced offensive line, that should help a little when dealing with young, inexperienced RBs.
Glad we are not in the Badgers position with two RBs dismissed and another in the portal.

bamor5229

Reaction score

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score

I really think we'll see all four of our RBs.

Williams - role shouldn't change much, but he'll be in the game quite a bit more as I assume we'll see more wildcast. I also assume we'll pass a bit more and he's our best pass blocker.

Irving, Wiley, and Thomas will split carries. I don't like the idea of true FR being workhorses. I'd much rather Irving have a fresh 15 carries.

MNVCGUY

Reaction score

Williams - role shouldn't change much, but he'll be in the game quite a bit more as I assume we'll see more wildcast. I also assume we'll pass a bit more and he's our best pass blocker.

Irving, Wiley, and Thomas will split carries. I don't like the idea of true FR being workhorses. I'd much rather Irving have a fresh 15 carries.
Will be interesting to see if Wiley gets back in the mix. I have not been overly impressed by him to this point, runs way to upright which makes him really easy to bring down. But he is still a young player so maybe he can get things figured out.

Triple D

Reaction score
Am I the only one thinking Ky Thomas is the RB I'd roll with for the majority of carries?

He didn't play last game so I wonder if Fleck was still trying to play him in only 4 games, will be interesting to see if he plays in more that 4 now with the news on Potts being out for the season.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if Wiley gets back in the mix. I have not been overly impressed by him to this point, runs way to upright which makes him really easy to bring down. But he is still a young player so maybe he can get things figured out.
I think we're in the "man I don't even know" area of the depth chart.

btowngopher

Reaction score
I don’t think RB is really a position where experience is needed to be productive. We still have four able body players, all of which can be productive. How productive I don’t know, the way this offense is being ran right now, an above average B1G quality rb is almost a necessity for success.

Polski

Reaction score
Am I the only one thinking Ky Thomas is the RB I'd roll with for the majority of carries?

He didn't play last game so I wonder if Fleck was still trying to play him in only 4 games, will be interesting to see if he plays in more that 4 now with the news on Potts being out for the season.
Agree 100%. It's Ky Thomas time, for the bulk of the carries. And use Irving as the change of pace back.

I'm sure they wanted to try to preserve Ky's redshirt, but it's time to put your best available on the field. Time to win football games.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
It seems that, with regard to running backs, we need a pair, and a spare, and a couple more in the lair.
WMFD5fs.gif

Reactions: pk2

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Not good news. Is this the fourth season-ending RB injury in recent years? Or the fifth?
Hope for the best for Trey, personally; he made a great contribution - second in the B10 in rushing.

stocker08

Reaction score

When you look at the typical RB size, Wiley falls on the large end. That's not to say that 6'2" precludes him from the ability to succeed (see Derrick Henry....which is an unfair comparison).....but it's a tougher road for a guy his size. The more prototypical back in our system is a guy who runs low to the ground and can slip through and underneath skirmishes at the line. That's not Wiley. He bowls into those pileups using power to get a few yards. That's fine and all....but not what you want in a featured back.

He was recruited as an athlete. I'd be surprised if the staff hasn't tried to get him to switch positions. Because his size and athleticism could make him into stud on the defensive side of the ball.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Wiley ... fine with jet sweeps and perhaps screens.

No on handoffs.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has any theories?

Wally

Reaction score

I bet we see one guy get 75%+ of the carries if the past is any indication.

Hope its nothing serious in the long term for Potts. I expect him to be the man next year unless one of the up and comers is so good he takes the spot without question.

Top Bottom