Trey Potts Appreciation

Ran strong and hard today, solid 5.2 YPC. Has a nice burst to the outside. Will break a few big ones this season. Flashed some nice things as a receiver too.

Team only went for 3.8 YPC which is poor against a MAC opponent - need to get some other players making positive runs.

Appreciate the effort, Needs to hit the hole quicker and rely on first instinct and not turn back.

Number 14, Brady Boyd, appears in a lot of Potts’ runs, going in motion, crossing in front of QB and heading into the flat as Potts takes handoff countering to other side. Boyd might be our jet sweep guy (if Wright isn’t). Also, on each play Boyd turns to look for a pass once he is in the flat. This might be a play that, if the flow follows Potts, QB pulls the ball and hits Boyd in the flat or on a wheel route. Saw the look a lot in the game, but Morgan handed off to Potts each time. Maybe we’ll see Boyd touch the ball in Boulder.

Our running back goes for 178 yards and it is barely even getting noticed. 178 yards...he ain't Mo but that was a pretty damn go Mo impression he did out there today when the team needed him and the passing game looking like something leftover from the Kill years.

The oline was not great today. He definitely showed he is a big10 quality rb.
Yep, Trey Potts belongs. The OL wasn't fantastic. One thing that stood out to me was that I kept hearing the names of the Miami S's (who are both pretty good), making plays in the backfield. That's also a sign (to my untrained eyes) that they were selling out on the pass. We really need to mix it up more on the early downs.

The other thing it showed me was that Mo getting as many carries as he did was needlessly dangerous.

Trey was great, someone else needs to step up to ease his load though. The OL has been better but I can’t fault them too much considering they were facing 8-9 in the box much of the time and their offense was rather predictable. They need more balance.

Trey was great, someone else needs to step up to ease his load though. The OL has been better but I can’t fault them too much considering they were facing 8-9 in the box much of the time and their offense was rather predictable. They need more balance.
Someone needs to be given an opportunity to step up. No one else got more than three carries.

Someone needs to be given an opportunity to step up. No one else got more than three carries.
I will give that they should maybe have spread things around more in the first half. But in the second half what would you do in a game that became close....keep giving it to the guy averaging over 5 yards a carry or try out the guys that in 5 caries managed a whopping -2 yards.....choice seems pretty obvious to me.

I will give that they should maybe have spread things around more in the first half. But in the second half what would you do in a game that became close....keep giving it to the guy averaging over 5 yards a carry or try out the guys that in 5 caries managed a whopping -2 yards.....choice seems pretty obvious to me.
I dunno, some of that’s on the line and play calling though. I mean Wiley had no chance on at least one of his runs I saw.

I dunno, some of that’s on the line and play calling though. I mean Wiley had no chance on at least one of his runs I saw.
Totally fair, those guys weren't given many opportunities and probably could have/should have gotten more. But Potts was getting it done so they stuck with him. Dude just ran for 178 yards and we have people wondering why he got so many carries....he got the carries because he ran for 178 yards.....

I love Potts' hops. He has nice quickness in space.

I don't love the tackles for loss. That tends to kill drives in this offense.

Our running back goes for 178 yards and it is barely even getting noticed.

I wouldn't say that. His name was in the title of the AP writeup of the game and the story began with him. I didn't see the BTN recap of the game but I would guess he would be the primary beneficiary of favorable comments about Minnesota. He's not going to be in a national discussion yet given that yesterday was his first start.

Our running back goes for 178 yards and it is barely even getting noticed. 178 yards...he ain't Mo but that was a pretty damn go Mo impression he did out there today when the team needed him and the passing game looking like something leftover from the Kill years.
Worse than little notice. He gets 178 yards in his first college start and fans call the coaches idiots for handing him the ball too much.

Worse than little notice. He gets 178 yards in his first college start and fans call the coaches idiots for handing him the ball too much.

Oh stop! Perhaps nuance just isn't your thing. People believe, especially in light of our less-than-stellar defense, that the offense needs to score more often and therefore needs to be more diversified. I doubt anyone fails to recognize Potts' terrific performance but we just watched another workhorse RB knocked out for the season and we're concerned about a possible repeat.

Here is my very unpopular take......Potts was very average yesterday! This was not the running game I had hoped to see against Miami OH. I was expecting us to really dominate the game by running for closer to 300 yards, while getting a great push on every play from our O-Line. I have this funny feeling every time Morgan handed the ball off to Potts he was thinking to himself, Mo would have busted that one into the secondary. I really want to see Ky Thomas get some carries, I have a really good feeling about him, but I also trust PJ, so will have to wait to see Thomas in the future.

Appreciate the effort, Needs to hit the hole quicker and rely on first instinct and not turn back.
Agree that in the 3rd and early 4th we saw a lot of 8/9 in the box- but Sanford didn’t exactly help with that by using a lot of tight formations. After Bucky’s nice return it seemed to me that almost all, if not all, of Trey’s successful runs were out of wide-spread formations.

He did really well, showed some elusiveness that I hadn't seen before late in the game.

I think Mo did at least 125 in his cart / scooter too!

Oh stop! Perhaps nuance just isn't your thing. People believe, especially in light of our less-than-stellar defense, that the offense needs to score more often and therefore needs to be more diversified. I doubt anyone fails to recognize Potts' terrific performance but we just watched another workhorse RB knocked out for the season and we're concerned about a possible repeat.
Nuance LOL. GH is where nuance goes to die.

Take your mask off karen. You are in danger of hyperventilating.

Not to put too fine a point on it but we didn't need more points Saturday. We won.

And had the totally absurd roughing the passer not been called, it would have been a comfortable win. We hit him in bounds, when he was in the air completing the throw, and it was a shove, not a big hit. Not roughing by any measure of the rules.

But for fun, please tell us exactly how many carries a running back can get in a game without getting hurt? If 34 is clearly too many, what is the limit? How many times can Winfield play against Maryland without a season-ending injury?

CAB has been out six weeks after getting hurt in a practice drill. What is the correct length of a practice to avoid this?

Wright got hurt on his seventh target. Is six the limit? How many times can Tanner pass? Is there a pitch count? Or how many times a game do you want to risk him taking a sack and getting crushed?

The fact is, Trey Potts -- like every other D1 player -- is one of the fittest human beings on earth. Players and coaches don't go into a game worrying about who is going to get hurt and when. Someone will. Nobody knows who, when, or how to totally prevent it.

I would be happy to see a freshman back get some carries in the right circumstances. We'll know when its right when he comes on the field and we will feel the same anticipation we felt when we first noticed Bucky bringing back a kick. He was ready.

Here is my very unpopular take......Potts was very average yesterday! This was not the running game I had hoped to see against Miami OH. I was expecting us to really dominate the game by running for closer to 300 yards, while getting a great push on every play from our O-Line. I have this funny feeling every time Morgan handed the ball off to Potts he was thinking to himself, Mo would have busted that one into the secondary. I really want to see Ky Thomas get some carries, I have a really good feeling about him, but I also trust PJ, so will have to wait to see Thomas in the future.
OK, you have had a chance to watch Potts on 60-70 carries and you judge him to be just average. But you have a really good feeling about Ky Thomas because he has never had a college carry?

I wouldn't say that. His name was in the title of the AP writeup of the game and the story began with him. I didn't see the BTN recap of the game but I would guess he would be the primary beneficiary of favorable comments about Minnesota. He's not going to be in a national discussion yet given that yesterday was his first start.
Was referring to this message board. There are a shocking number of people unimpressed by Potts performance and complaining about us not playing the other guys. I really don't get what more Potts needed to do in order to impress those fans.

In the second half he was essentially our entire offense while Miami OH was stacking the box and daring us to throw.

Dude just had a heck of a game, I'm comfortable with him as our starting running back moving forward, but maybe I am in the minority on that one based on a lot of the comments here.

OK, you have had a chance to watch Potts on 60-70 carries and you judge him to be just average. But you have a really good feeling about Ky Thomas because he has never had a college carry?
Correct!

Yup, even a better feeling after watching Thomas yesterday. He showed me he is the most explosive backs that is currently healthy on our roster. He ran with great vision and beautiful cutback ability yesterday. So yes Bullish on Ky Thomas!

Top Bottom