Trevor Mbakwe pledges to refund his scholarship if Minnesota misses the NCAA tourname

RoyalGopher

Reaction score
I saw this on the main page of Yahoo, so I'm surprised no one posted this.

Even though Minnesota has failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament the past two years, Trevor Mbakwe is certain the Gophers will end that drought this March.

The star forward even went so far as to promise late Saturday night that he will give back his scholarship money from this school year if Minnesota doesn't hear its name called on Selection Sunday in five months.

Mbakwe's willingness to lighten his wallet if his team fails to live up to expectations is very rare but not unheard of in professional or college sports.

In 2002, the Atlanta Hawks guaranteed season-ticket holders a $125 refund if the team did not make the playoffs, a goal the franchise failed to reach. In 2003, Bob Knight told Texas Tech he wouldn't accept his $250,000 coaching salary after the Red Raiders concluded the regular season with a 16-11 record, seven victories shy of the 23 wins they achieved the previous season.

The most similar offer to Mbakwe's is one made by former Oklahoma star Courney Paris, the daughter of former NFL offensive lineman Bubba Paris. Entering her senior season, Paris pledged to give back her scholarship if the Sooners did not win a championship, but the university did not hold her to the promise when the team lost 61-59 to Louisville in the national semifinals.

It's a more reachable goal for Mbakwe to lead Minnesota to the NCAA tournament than it was for Paris to take Oklahoma to a national title.

Minnesota won 23 games and reached the NIT title game last year despite losing Mbakwe to a torn ACL before the start of conference play. With Mbakwe healthy again and the young core of last year's team returning intact, the Gophers have the talent necessary to finish in the upper half of the Big Ten and end their NCAA tournament drought.

It's unlikely Mbakwe would actually have to pay back his scholarship if Minnesota did underachieve and fail to make the NCAA tournament, but his promise could be very expensive if he felt compelled to keep his word.

Although the exact value of an athletic scholarship to Minnesota is unclear, annual tuition alone for an out-of-state resident costs $18,774. Add in the cost of books, room and board and a little bit of spending money, and Mbakwe's scholarship is probably worth at least $30,000 — and that may be a conservative estimate.

Considering Mbakwe's history of off-the-court trouble, perhaps he should have restrained from Saturday night's tweets.

Mbakwe's confidence in his team is admirable. His judgment remains a work in progress.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...p-minnesota-misses-ncaa-230308692--ncaab.html

Screen-shot-2012-11-04-at-2.19.01-PM.jpg

Trevor Mbakwe ‏@TMbakwe32
That's how much I believe in this years team.

I love my teammates. They have always been there for me. If we don't make the tourney ill pay back this years scholarship. #nolie #gophers

Some ppl say I'm cocky but that's not the case I just know how hard my teammate have worked and I believe in them and our coach #easychoice

Mbakwe's confidence in his team is admirable. His judgment remains a work in progress.

These are my exact thoughts. He needs to learn twitter/Facebook are not his friends. He just needs a bit of humility.

I saw the tweet but scrolled right past it and thought nothing of it. I didn't know Yahoo wrote a story about it. Thinking back on it, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to tweet and certainly not necessary.

The thing about the tweet I don't understand is why do it in the first place? Does he want to see his name in the news more? Get some good publicity? I don't get it.

Ahhhhhhh even if they don't make the NCAA nobody will make him pay it back...it's just talk.

Ahhhhhhh even if they don't make the NCAA nobody will make him pay it back...it's just talk.

Yeah, you're right. If we don't make the tourney, the Athletic Department isn't going to make him pay it back anyway.

The thing about the tweet I don't understand is why do it in the first place? Does he want to see his name in the news more? Get some good publicity? I don't get it.

Maybe he's confident in the team and excited for the season to start after having to watch most of the last one from the bench. Sometimes when people are excited about something they talk about it, or in this case tweet. I don't see it as a big deal. Who cares?

Maybe he's confident in the team and excited for the season to start after having to watch most of the last one from the bench. Sometimes when people are excited about something they talk about it, or in this case tweet. I don't see it as a big deal. Who cares?

I agree. Don't see whats wrong with it, just shows his confidence in the team. Isn't confidence a good thing?

+1. Players and coaches promise things in order to excite their fans and get team recognition all the time. I don't think this reflects poor judgment by Mbakwe. I think he knows the team has a good chance of making the tournament (as well as the nation according to recent polls)...it's a safe bet and unenforceable to boot. Let him talk up the Gophers; someone needs to.

It's actually a nice upgrade in commentary from "U might earn some more tips from your waitress job."

I am glad he is putting his money where his mouth is. After some off the court problems, this might get people talking about how confident Trevor is in the team's on the court abilties and shift the focus away from the other distractions. I agree that it is probably unenforceable from the U's perspective, but my opinion of him would go down if we didn't make the tourney and he did not donate the money back to the U.

Haven't quite a few players/coaches made this pledge? I believe Bobby Knight returned his paycheck to Texas Tech because his team was bad.

I think it shows Trevor is excited and maybe Twitter isn't a good medium to make this pledge, but if he stays healthy and makes it to the NBA, he can at least afford to pay the $20k-ish that he would owe the U, assuming they don't make the tourney.

I'd rather see Tubby make the pledge because if he gave back his paycheck the football program could get out of a few more tough non-conference games...(cheap shot, sorry)

Not a fan of it.

At this point he just needs to not bring attention to himself off the court, stay out of trouble, be very thankful for his too many chances and kick butt on the court.

+1 bingo. but don't tell that to our trusty armchair critics here at gopher hole. that group must have their dose of daily fun by knocking and critiquing something......anything. even if it is just a fun and public way to get yourself and your teammates pumped and motivated for a season.

Not a fan of it.

At this point he just needs to not bring attention to himself off the court, stay out of trouble, be very thankful for his too many chances and kick butt on the court.

Exactly. Just stop talking.

Exactly. Just stop talking.

How dare he? Our best overall player trying to build excitement and putting pressure on our team to show up every game. What a dope! Mbakwe needs to not speak out because he has no right with all of his off the court issues.

--sarcasm--

If mbakwe says this and gives minimal effort game in and game out, by all means bust his balls.

But if this is what he needs to motivate him and the team, let him have some fun

How dare he? Our best overall player trying to build excitement and putting pressure on our team to show up every game. What a dope! Mbakwe needs to not speak out because he has no right with all of his off the court issues.

--sarcasm--

If mbakwe says this and gives minimal effort game in and game out, by all means bust his balls.

But if this is what he needs to motivate him and the team, let him have some fun

He just doesn't have a good track record with public media is all I'm saying.

He just doesn't have a good track record with public media is all I'm saying.

I guess I did know he has been on public media saying things that he shouldn't? Just thought he was doing dumb things off the court that has gotten himself into trouble.

He should "freeze" the cash right now otherwise it is BS that the the Kim Kardashian/Pop culture twits find worthwhile.

KSB would be foolish enough to believe trevor if he promised to build a new practice facility if the Gophs did not dance this year. THE SCOUT!

KSB would be foolish enough to believe trevor if he promised to build a new practice facility if the Gophs did not dance this year. THE SCOUT!

Yes, $30,000 and $30 million (or whatever) are comparable amounts. Good call. Great post.

Rodney Williams had some fun with it...Rodney should have said something to the effect "and as for me, if we don't make the NCAA tourney, Trevor can pay back my scholarship as well."

Any, he was probably extremely confident they will make it and simply showed expressed himself. Unwise, yeh, but the reality in today's social media.

I wonder if Trevor is rethinking his pledge now?

At #13 in the RPI ratings, and with 13 wins over Top 101 rated teams in the RPI already, and only 1 loss vs a Team rated outside of the Top 35, I'd say Trev's money is safe and sound.

Leave it to a gopher holer to jinx it. When will we ever learn?

Top Bottom