Trent Lockett

KyGopherfan

Reaction score
I'm sorry to start a separate thread, but I don't think I saw this question posed about Trent. Is it possible that he can accept some of in-state financial assistance instead of an athletic scholarship? I know while Tubby was at UK, a couple of Kentucky kids were able to get a ride on financial aid when there was a scholarship crunch, at least until a scholly became available. I think Rick Pitino has one of his in-state guys on financial aid too. It's not something common, but I know this does and can happen when there's a lack of scholarships for certain players.

Of course, I don't know Trent's situation or whether he can qualify for something, but since he's just gonna go for one year, it would seem a more ideal situation.

Yeah, it depends on his family's financial situation. There is a kid from UCONN who qualified for financial aid to a point where he barely had to pay for school, so they used his scholarship on another player.

why do we need another scholarship, cut mav, offer ingram a walk on spot, chip will probably transfer...

I don't think I can stand the thought of TV/radio announcers saying, "Lockett up". Ralph John Fritz might even come out of retirement at the thought of that one.

That would be almost as bad as when RJF uttered, "It was a Lewis and Clark connection...and they went for Miles!"

why do we need another scholarship, cut mav, offer ingram a walk on spot, chip will probably transfer...

There are a large portion of college basketball fans that find that practice deplorable. I'm not saying you have to agree with it or not, I am just saying that a portion of fans of college athletics will never think that is viable option.

They really should switch to offering 4-year guaranteed scholarships with limits on roster size, not number of scholarships. Kids shouldn't have to transfer schools if they don't make the cut the next year. Most D-1 players would voluntarily look to transfer if they knew they probably wouldn't play much even as a senior. The rare exceptions like Isaiah Dahlmann are out there, and they shouldn't feel like they're harming the program by wanting to stay on despite not seeing the floor much.

i don't think we would ever do it...but it is a 1 year 'contract' - the kids know this; and if i had a choice to either keep mav or give his scholarship to lockett its a no-brainer (basketballwise)

Not a good habit to get into unless you have a player offer to give up his scholarship to walk on. I know Duke had a player a couple years ago who came in and turned down his full ride because his parents could afford it and he thought it would help the team by adding another talented player. The thing is if you pull someone's scholarship just to add a better player the other coaches will hammer you on the recruiting trail for it. Why go to Minnesota if they find someone better they will just yank your scholarship.

I have no problem with a Coach that tells a kid he just is not going to play much and if he wants to play he might want to transfer. If he wants to stay anyway, so be it. It is just as much a disservice to the kid to not be up front with him.

I really hope Chip doesn't transfer.

I think he could contribute to the Gophers...

football team.

chip > mav all day!...but i bet chip transfers - regardless of the Lockett situation; since Lockett may end up at SCSU, St.thomas, Winona, UofM, IA, ISU, WI...who knows...

I'm sorry to start a separate thread, but I don't think I saw this question posed about Trent. Is it possible that he can accept some of in-state financial assistance instead of an athletic scholarship? I know while Tubby was at UK, a couple of Kentucky kids were able to get a ride on financial aid when there was a scholarship crunch, at least until a scholly became available. I think Rick Pitino has one of his in-state guys on financial aid too. It's not something common, but I know this does and can happen when there's a lack of scholarships for certain players.

Of course, I don't know Trent's situation or whether he can qualify for something, but since he's just gonna go for one year, it would seem a more ideal situation.

It is likely that Trent will be a grad student when he gets here, so financial aid is different for grad school. I did think right away about the possibility of his walking on, but have no idea if that is a viable option for him. I do know he is an excellent student, and one of the reasons he chose ASU in the first place was an honors program that he was accepted into. I am going to rest and allow the coaching staff to figure this stuff out, and hope they do it with some sense of fairness and integrity toward the guys who are already here.

Don't think a waiver would be necessary if he was going to a non D1 school.

Not a good habit to get into unless you have a player offer to give up his scholarship to walk on. I know Duke had a player a couple years ago who came in and turned down his full ride because his parents could afford it and he thought it would help the team by adding another talented player. The thing is if you pull someone's scholarship just to add a better player the other coaches will hammer you on the recruiting trail for it. Why go to Minnesota if they find someone better they will just yank your scholarship.

Louisville has two kids paying their own way this year. Chris Smith and Kyle Kuric I believe.

Louisville has two kids paying their own way this year. Chris Smith and Kyle Kuric I believe.

Pretty different circumstances but yeah. I thought I heard Kuric's dad is a neuro-surgeon which would obviously help.

I don't believe in the one year concept, a kid doesn't choose to attend a school for one year and at the end of the year evaluate his options, it is a big commitment that has lifelong implications. If the player and athletic department both agree to a transfer I say go ahead but forcing someone out just shouldn't be an option.

I don't like when people say that the players know that they have a one-year contract. They know that technically, yes, the scholarship is only yearly. But none of them, even Mav and Ingram, were told that they would have to prove themselves every year to have a scholarship the next year. That's not how college athletics works.

I don't like when people say that the players know that they have a one-year contract. They know that technically, yes, the scholarship is only yearly. But none of them, even Mav and Ingram, were told that they would have to prove themselves every year to have a scholarship the next year. That's not how college athletics works.

This. It is implied, unless they are specifically told otherwise, that they've got a scholarship until they're out of eligibility or move on for whatever reason.

Except that it is, and it happens all the time. It is almost always announced as a "transfer", but coaches often move kids out of their program. I agree that the kids don't know/think they have to "prove themselves" every year, but they do. Recent examples at Minnesota included Engen Nurumbi and Limar Wilson "deciding" to trasfer to division II schools. Kevin Payton might also have been interested in using his last year of eligibility, but I am not sure on that (graduated in 4 years, but redshirted).

I am not arguing that this is a great practice, just that it is a necessary one in the competitive world of college basketball.

Except that it is, and it happens all the time. It is almost always announced as a "transfer", but coaches often move kids out of their program. I agree that the kids don't know/think they have to "prove themselves" every year, but they do. Recent examples at Minnesota included Engen Nurumbi and Limar Wilson "deciding" to trasfer to division II schools. Kevin Payton might also have been interested in using his last year of eligibility, but I am not sure on that (graduated in 4 years, but redshirted).

I am not arguing that this is a great practice, just that it is a necessary one in the competitive world of college basketball.

I agree with you that it happens but I don't think it's very necessary. I also don't think that every kid who transfers down a class is forced to do it, some guys simply want to play and see the writing on the wall.

that they've got a scholarship until they're out of eligibility or move on for whatever reason.

If they can move on whenever they wish, they can be moved whenever the staff wishes.

Except that it is, and it happens all the time. It is almost always announced as a "transfer", but coaches often move kids out of their program.

Good points, this is a rare circumstance and the Gophers need to make moves to get this program consistently in the upper half of the Big Ten.

more likely to drop scholly from current player and offer to trent, then line up need based aid for that player for one year if he still wants to stay here.

I don't think a push will be necessary. It is likley that both Maverick and Chip see the writing on the wall. Their playing time next season will be limited with the projected roster (even without the addition of Trent). Most young men want to play and I wouldn't be surprised if one or both decide to transfer.

Top Bottom