Travis Busch

Weisbrod

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything new about Travis Busch? I have heard he is interested in Winona State and UN-Omaha. I talked to someone today connected to Concordia in St. Paul and he thinks that's going to be Busch's destination for his senior season. Any thoughts/leads?

That's funny! I think I use words like "leads" because I've been a sports writer for six years. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

NDSU still has one scholarship left, but I don know the rules well enough would he be even eligible for another D1 school?

NDSU still has one scholarship left, but I don know the rules well enough would he be even eligible for another D1 school?

not sure about the D1 part of your question. no offense intended, but i just don't see busch wanting to head up to fargo or even having a desire to play at NDSU. i believe it is going to be someplace in minnesota or un-omaha

Busch would NOT be required to sit out a year if he transfers to a Division II school (like Winona). Transferring to NDSU would mean he would have to sit out a season because its a D-I school. This doesn't seem to make much sense for him considering he's already graduated. He's expressed interest in signing with a D-II school.

I know there was a rule that allowed a player to transfer if they have graduated but I think that was removed due to abuse.

The rule allowed Kevin Kruger to transfer from Arizona State to play his final season with his dad Lon at UNLV.

The Kevin Kruger rule was rescinded the same year he used it.

Busch can not transfer to another DI school and play. He would run out of eligibility. You get five years to compete four seasons. He already sat out one transfer year, so his clock would run out if he uses another transfer year. He can go DII or DIII and play right away.

I heard from an extremely credible source he is going to Winona State

I heard from an extremely credible source he is going to Winona State

Really? For a Winona-boy like myself, this is great news. He'll fit right into the Warriors line-up too. They also have a 6-8 Iowa State transfer, Clayton Vette, who will be eligible next season. Looks like WSU can book another trip to Springfield.:clap:

I for one

Really? For a Winona-boy like myself, this is great news. He'll fit right into the Warriors line-up too. They also have a 6-8 Iowa State transfer, Clayton Vette, who will be eligible next season. Looks like WSU can book another trip to Springfield.:clap:

I for one would love to see Travis on a National Championship team :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have it from a extremely credible source that the NCAA rule that allowed Kruger
to transfer was reworked so that if you graduate and the school you wish to transfer to has a graduate degree that the school you are leaving doesn't have you can transfer and be eligible the next season. I have it from another credible source that Tim Miles has made contact. Don't look for a decision until after graduation.

I have it from a extremely credible source that the NCAA rule that allowed Kruger
to transfer was reworked so that if you graduate and the school you wish to transfer to has a graduate degree that the school you are leaving doesn't have you can transfer and be eligible the next season. I have it from another credible source that Tim Miles has made contact. Don't look for a decision until after graduation.

I grew up in Winona, and have been a WSU basketball fanatic for as long as I can remember. So, needless to say, I'd love to see Busch in purple, black and white next season. Basketball-wise, it makes too much sense. He would fit seamlessly into a rotation that brings back three starters and two of the top three leading scorers from a team that made it to the second round of the Division II tournament (not be mention he'd be playing for a program that won the '06 and '08 D-II national championships and came a last second shot away from winning it in '07). Also, former Iowa Mr. Basketball and former Iowa State forward, Clayton Vette (6-8, 245), joins the team.

The thing is, I'm not sure this is a pure basketball decision for Busch. He knows he's never going to play in the NBA, so why not further his academic career at a place like Colorado State? If the NCAA allows it, he would be able to play basketball at CSU as a graduate student and not have to sit out a season.

With that said, remember that Busch transferred to Minnesota from Cal-Poly to be closer to home. Winona is less than two hours south of the Twin Cities, meaning he could stay close to his family and friends while being the big man on campus at a basketball-crazed school that is Winona State. Fort Collins, where CSU is located, is a long way from Busch's hometown of Mounds View.

For those interested, here is what the Winona State line-up would look like with Busch:

PG-Ben Fischer, 6-1, junior (next season)
-Former Gopher football player that finished amongst the leaders in the NSIC in total assists (1st), steals (2nd), assist-to-turnover ratio (3rd) and rebounding (14) in 2008-09. He's a pass-first pure point guard who does it all.

SG-David Johnson, 6-2, senior
-One of the state's top-10 leading scorers during his four-year prep career at Hayfield HS. Last season, he ended in the top five in the league in scoring (17.5 PPG) and 3-point percentage (43%).

SF-Travis Busch, 6-4, senior
-There he is, perfect fit.

PF-Clayton Vette, 6-8 sophomore
-Verbally committed to Indiana State as a senior in high school, backed out, accepted scholarship at Iowa State and played sparingly as freshman.

C-Joel Armstrong, 6-6, sophomore
-Prep star at Stillwater. One of top freshman scorers in the NSIC last season.

Top Bottom