Transfers from last years team...

Still don't know how anyone can definitely say right now that we are going to see a huge drop off in talent next year. The guys coming in were all top players on their old teams, and the bar for being better than last season is pretty low.

The 20-21 team had some decent pieces but they played terrible as a team. On a purely individual basis we might not have anyone as good as Carr but if we have a team that can function together we could still see better results even without the star power.
I don’t hold the team in very high regard last year. But I think they underachieved at 6 wins. If they had stayed healthy they’d have won 8-11 big ten games IMO.
I could be wrong.

I don’t see any way the gophers are :500 in conference next year without some roster additions I haven’t heard of yet

There is going to be a huge drop in talent. That said, maybe some of the gap will be made up with remaining signings this spring. Perhaps some of it will be taken care of it by better depth. But if we are to win even 6 or more Big Ten games it will mean that Johnson has coached the team to better teamwork and defense.
People may not be happy with who is signed. However, to pretend there is a huge drop in talent is ridiculous. Carr had talent, but really didn't make people around him better at all. No defense, selfish. Liam had a couple of good games, but overall didn't guard well and for most part was exposed defensively against any decent players in Big Ten and struggled in preseason (other than blocking a shot here and there), and turned the ball over way too much. I'd take him back as I think he can improve but he wants to be with his uncle, and in the end neither he or Carr or going to help in building a new program. The only one I would like back Brandon Johnson, but he is really just a hard worker who doesn't shoot the ball well. We'll be able to replace that once it all shakes out. The rest of the players who left won't be missed, including Mashburn who was a mini-Carr offensively with needing the ball way too much, and he couldn't guard because he's way too small. Other than Williams they all ended up at mid-major's or lower, and Williams is at Oregon State (not like he was in demand).

I don’t see any way the gophers are :500 in conference next year without some roster additions I haven’t heard of yet

Well, I'd say that's a pretty likely outcome considering they finished .500 or better in the conference only once since 2010. But, I'm pretty confident that can't be the standard you're applying to the new coach.

People may not be happy with who is signed. However, to pretend there is a huge drop in talent is ridiculous. Carr had talent, but really didn't make people around him better at all. No defense, selfish. Liam had a couple of good games, but overall didn't guard well and for most part was exposed defensively against any decent players in Big Ten and struggled in preseason (other than blocking a shot here and there), and turned the ball over way too much. I'd take him back as I think he can improve but he wants to be with his uncle, and in the end neither he or Carr or going to help in building a new program. The only one I would like back Brandon Johnson, but he is really just a hard worker who doesn't shoot the ball well. We'll be able to replace that once it all shakes out. The rest of the players who left won't be missed, including Mashburn who was a mini-Carr offensively with needing the ball way too much, and he couldn't guard because he's way too small. Other than Williams they all ended up at mid-major's or lower, and Williams is at Oregon State (not like he was in demand).
Very possible outcome is we don't miss these guys and are a better team than last year. Another outcome which is possible is we have a lot of posts next year that say i wish we had someone athletic who could create their own shot or a big guy who could defend the rim.

Let's compare what we have so far on a scale of 1-10

1: Carr 9....................Loewe: 6-that might be generous. Huge downgrade either way

2: Gabe 7.................Willis: 7-Less defense, more offense perhaps

3: Williams 6..........Battle: 7-Perhaps a minor upgrade

4: B. Johnson 8.........Ihnen: 6

5: Robbins 8...............Fox 5 Another big downgrade. Fox isn't a center but the closest we have atm.

6. Mashburn 7.............Stephens 6

7. Gach 6........................Gach 7 - we can hope?

8. Ihnen 5.........................Sutherlin 5

Total 56/7.00..................49/6.125

Big drop-offs at PG and Center. Elsewhere might be a push, but it's still a bid downgrade, IMO.

1: Carr 9....................Loewe: 6-that might be generous. Huge downgrade either way

5: Robbins 8...............Fox 5 Another big downgrade. Fox isn't a center but the closest we have atm.

Big drop-offs at PG and Center. Elsewhere might be a push, but it's still a bid downgrade, IMO.
You haven't seen any of the new additions play a lick of basketball, why are you giving them grades?

Lil' Richard 2.............. BJ hopefully more than 2

You haven't seen any of the new additions play a lick of basketball, why are you giving them grades?
First, I've seen Ihnen, Gach, Willis and Fox play plenty. And we can't infer anything based on their previous years and stats? This message board is useless if this is your threshold for discussion.

You can run some set plays for buckets, you can back pick some lob dunks but if you don't have a guy who can score on his own it's really hard to beat teams with more talent...which the opponents all have.
Play Virginia defense....we still gotta score more than the other guy.
Plus, you get scouted and your surprises become very limited.

Very possible outcome is we don't miss these guys and are a better team than last year. Another outcome which is possible is we have a lot of posts next year that say i wish we had someone athletic who could create their own shot or a big guy who could defend the rim.
That’s the thing... we will want someone who can create their shot, but I know I don’t want someone who doesn’t share the ball and make others better. Also, I don’t think Liam defended the rim very well. He blocked some shots, but got pushed around and out of position way too often. He wanted to leave anyway with his uncle, so it is what it is anyway.

I said a huge drop in talent. I didn't say that the new players wouldn't play better as a team. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can claim at this moment that there will not be a huge drop in talent. That is NOT a knock on Ben Johnson. Next year is for culture building, building a program identity and recruiting for the future with guys that are willing to give it their all the context of team play. I hold out a tiny hope for a Vince Grier - Jeff Hagen squad that surprises.

That’s the thing... we will want someone who can create their shot, but I know I don’t want someone who doesn’t share the ball and make others better. Also, I don’t think Liam defended the rim very well. He blocked some shots, but got pushed around and out of position way too often. He wanted to leave anyway with his uncle, so it is what it is anyway.
Coaching basketball is not as easy as it appears. I agree with your analysis but NBA lottery picks are tough to entice to attend Minnesota.
The result is any “stars” are often going to have warts. Much preferable to guys whose best quality is that they play nice with others.

Top Bottom