Transfer Rules: Big Ten Proposes to allow every athlete to transfer once without sitting a year

There would probably be a lot of bad unintended consequences, that no one has even considered.

There would probably be a lot of bad unintended consequences, that no one has even considered.
That's usually true. If you prevented new rules/bills/laws from going into effect for that reason, we would never have any.

That's usually true. If you prevented new rules/bills/laws from going into effect for that reason, we would never have any.
You are correct. I should have said in addition to all of the problems with this proposed rule, there would be a lot of bad ones also.

Comment from previous post. "At the very least, I believe that if the coach who recruited a player leaves, that player should be able to transfer immediately without any penalty. "

Does this included assistant coaches? Would the players have to name all the coaches that recruited him? I could see a coach leaving who had nothing to do with him and claims he is leaving as that coach supposedly helped recruit him.

If this becomes a rule there is no way the smaller schools could compete with the top schools.

Teams like LSU, Ohio State, and Alabama would only bring in the elite high school recruits. They'd partner with another weaker team coached by an alum or a former assistant to be a sort of minor league and then get most of their recruits as transfers from that team once they've played for a year or two. 90% of Alabama's roster will have been in college for at least 2 years, almost all of whom played well enough elsewhere to get a transfer offer to Alabama. The majority of the power 5 teams won't have that arrangement and will have an even distribution of experience levels and will have way fewer upperclassmen options.

This also pairs horribly with sponsors being allowed to give players money. It's already a tough decision to stay at the school you're somewhat loyal to or transfer to a helmet school, potentially sit out a year, and have a shot at a championship. More guys are going to leave when leaving means going from $20,000 in sponsor money to $250,000 at Alabama and Ohio State. Pair that with not needing to sit out and we'll end up with almost all of the top 100 players at 10 schools.
Fantastic points - I don't think many people can think more than a step or two ahead, but you've outlined the inevitable long-term result of what would be an extremely short sighted decision by the NCAA. It would be another (and the clearest yet) step towards the demise of the current NCAA/amateur model, at least in anything like its current form.

Comment from previous post. "At the very least, I believe that if the coach who recruited a player leaves, that player should be able to transfer immediately without any penalty. "

Does this included assistant coaches? Would the players have to name all the coaches that recruited him? I could see a coach leaving who had nothing to do with him and claims he is leaving as that coach supposedly helped recruit him.
The flip side of this, or the other side maybe, is if a coach leaves and the recruit wants to follow that coach to the new school and/or is encouraged by the leaving coach to follow him to the new school.

Yes, I think there would have to be reasonable limitations. I would say that it would have to either be the position coach for that player's position OR the head coach. In both cases, the player would have a reasonable argument for their development and career prospects being materially affected.

Yes, I think there would have to be reasonable limitations. I would say that it would have to either be the position coach for that player's position OR the head coach. In both cases, the player would have a reasonable argument for their development and career prospects being materially affected.
This is why I like the idea that all players can transfer once regardless of the reason, have to sit out a year, but not lose a year of eligibility. No exceptions for underclassmen.

This covers any reason a player might want to transfer (not a good fit, poor coaching, playing time, homesick, unforeseen reasons), and they do not lose a year to play. Having to sit a year helps reduce poaching because a school can’t encourage a transfer to fill a need for the upcoming season.

This is why I like the idea that all players can transfer once regardless of the reason, have to sit out a year, but not lose a year of eligibility. No exceptions for underclassmen.

This covers any reason a player might want to transfer (not a good fit, poor coaching, playing time, homesick, unforeseen reasons), and they do not lose a year to play. Having to sit a year helps reduce poaching because a school can’t encourage a transfer to fill a need for the upcoming season.

This is an interesting idea. So, essentially preserving the current rules minus the eligibility piece. Would you then get rid of the hardship waiver as well?

This is an interesting idea. So, essentially preserving the current rules minus the eligibility piece. Would you then get rid of the hardship waiver as well?
Yes, the hardship waiver would no longer be needed because they would be able to transfer without needing to express a reason. It would even bring a note of honesty to the whole mess it’s become.

What's the hypothetical scenario you foresee happening, towards that end?
Think about a guy like Rashod Bateman. A guy that almost certainly will be a 1st or 2nd rounder after their junior year. They don’t want to sit out a year but are good enough that just about any program would love to have them. Why not consider going to a program that has a good chance at a National Championship for a year before you go to the NFL? Think of grad transfers now but happening more often.

Top Bottom