Transfer portal

Ckelle

Reaction score
To bad losing so many players. Minnesota is not going to be able compete in the current economic reality of college sports. Are we heading for a division 1B program?

FYI: Maryland picked up the #7 and #47 player in the transfer portal. Maryland didn't lose any ranked players, if they had any, joke.

To judge the Gophers, we need to look at everything going on with the portal.

Right now people are worried because the Gophers lost some guys. Let's first see who the Gophers bring in and how other teams handle this.

When the house stops leaking, people will get more confident about replacing the carpet.
Looks to me that the hardwood is all scratched up and certainly needs to be replaced.

Looks to me that the hardwood is all scratched up and certainly needs to be replaced.
Wait until all the kids are out of the house before making a decision.

Wait until all the kids are out of the house before making a decision.
And we should let a group of people who don't give a crap about our floor and will never step foot in our house the rights to choose it.

FYI: Maryland picked up the #7 and #47 player in the transfer portal. Maryland didn't lose any ranked players, if they had any, joke.

Right now people are worried because the Gophers lost some guys. Let's first see who the Gophers bring in and how other teams handle this.

The above two Maryland players are now 10 & 50.

As of this posting, no Gophers are listed in the rankings yet- probably too soon, but I’d only expect PP to make their list

J’Vonne Hadley from Colorado, who were interested in as he played his HS ball in The TC, is ranked 20. Her is his scouting bio -

Ht: 6-6Wt: 205

A two-year starter at Colorado, Hadley originally started his career at Northeastern before going to the junior college level for a season and then reappearing at Colorado. He’s one of those players that does a lot of things well, and it wouldn’t be unfair to call him a glue guy.

Most of his offense comes at the rim, whether via running out in transition, attacking post mismatches as a big 2-guard, cutting backdoor or driving closeouts. He crashes the glass and is a solid screener. He doesn’t take many bad shots, which is how he ended up averaging 11.6 points on only 7.3 field goal attempts per game with an impressive 63.7 true-shooting percentage.

Beyond that, Hadley is a good passer who unselfishly made the right play for star teammates K.J. Simpson and Tristan da Silva last season. He takes on tough defensive assignments and is sharp positionally off the ball, always seeming to be in the right place.

There are so many teams across the country that could use a player like Hadley. He probably won’t make an All-Conference team unless he improves as a shooter, but he is the kind of player that just helps teams win. — Sam Vecenie

Last edited:

Transfer portal related - I wonder at this point what percentage of key rotation guys around the country are actually still at the school they committed to out of high school? I mean when you watch a game it feels like the commentators are always mentioning where a player transferred from. Sometimes it feels like everyone is a transfer but obviously that is not the case. Looking at our roster in terms of the key players

Our top 8
Hawkins, Mitchell, Garcia, Fox - Transfers
Christie, JOJ, Payne, Carrington - Recruited
So if you don't count Ihnen we were at 50/50 in terms of key guys. If you factor him in it bumps up the recruited side some.

That said, assuming the guys in the portal stay in the portal and don't come back, our 24/25 roster will be almost all transfers.

I just wonder how common this is across the country. Obviously we know guys are moving around at an unprecedented level right now yet some teams seem to be able to keep their guys and don't need to rely heavily on the portal while other schools have rosters that are more transfers than recruits at this point. Such a messed up landscape in college basketball and football right now.

It’s about fit. Last year’s #84 and #86 ranked transfers went to Illinois and Wisconsin. Marcus Domask and AJ Storr. Far better than most of the top 10 transfers.

Transfer portal related - I wonder at this point what percentage of key rotation guys around the country are actually still at the school they committed to out of high school? I mean when you watch a game it feels like the commentators are always mentioning where a player transferred from. Sometimes it feels like everyone is a transfer but obviously that is not the case. Looking at our roster in terms of the key players

Our top 8
Hawkins, Mitchell, Garcia, Fox - Transfers
Christie, JOJ, Payne, Carrington - Recruited
So if you don't count Ihnen we were at 50/50 in terms of key guys. If you factor him in it bumps up the recruited side some.

That said, assuming the guys in the portal stay in the portal and don't come back, our 24/25 roster will be almost all transfers.

I just wonder how common this is across the country. Obviously we know guys are moving around at an unprecedented level right now yet some teams seem to be able to keep their guys and don't need to rely heavily on the portal while other schools have rosters that are more transfers than recruits at this point. Such a messed up landscape in college basketball and football right now.
It is interesting to see how different teams are now. As I watched Illinois-Iowa State last night, the majority of each of their rotations were transfers instead of players recruited out of high school. Unfortunately, without changes at the larger systems level, I think the day and age of recruiting and developing the majority of your rotation is over.

You can't just look at the players in the portal. Maryland lost their first and third leading scorers who were 5th year players out of eligibility.

It’s about fit. Last year’s #84 and #86 ranked transfers went to Illinois and Wisconsin. Marcus Domask and AJ Storr. Far better than most of the top 10 transfers.

Yes, it is. It's also about the fact that these ratings aren't "science." They're an approximate art at best.

It is interesting to see how different teams are now. As I watched Illinois-Iowa State last night, the majority of each of their rotations were transfers instead of players recruited out of high school. Unfortunately, without changes at the larger systems level, I think the day and age of recruiting and developing the majority of your rotation is over.
Development was over a few years ago. Mn and cbj didn't recognize it.

Development was over a few years ago. Mn and cbj didn't recognize it.

That’s not true. It can still be done greatly. Just a finer line.

And in most case you probably need 1-2 transfers to fill holes of graduation/early entry.

But you can definitely still develop and retain majority of a roster for many years

That’s not true. It can still be done greatly. Just a finer line.

And in most case you probably need 1-2 transfers to fill holes of graduation/early entry.

But you can definitely still develop and retain majority of a roster for many years
Kinda like we saw at MN yesterday? IIRC, the strategy so many were talking about for MN was a development program. We just witnessed how long it takes to blow up the development program.

Will cbj fill in the needs with development players or transfers? Already have two HS recruits coming in. Will there be more? Doubtful. Most if not all will be transfers, imo.

Having three locals that have been here two season all leave at the same time puts a damper on development.

Kinda like we saw at MN yesterday? IIRC, the strategy so many were talking about for MN was a development program. We just witnessed how long it takes to blow up the development program.

Will cbj fill in the needs with development players or transfers? Already have two HS recruits coming in. Will there be more? Doubtful. Most if not all will be transfers, imo.

Having three locals that have been here two season all leave at the same time puts a damper on development.
Yep. D1 is now a semi-pro league. You have to treat your roster like pro team. That's why I think there needs to be a GM who gets the players and negotiates contracts. The coach is there to coach whoever the GM signs. No more fiddling around with coaches trying to do everything in recruiting and retention.

Yep. D1 is now a semi-pro league. You have to treat your roster like pro team. That's why I think there needs to be a GM who gets the players and negotiates contracts. The coach is there to coach whoever the GM signs. No more fiddling around with coaches trying to do everything in recruiting and retention.
Pro leagues have structure, contracts, rules.....what is going on right now is some f'ed up kind of fantasy sports where you have to go battle all the other managers for new players while making sure no other manager comes in and poaches your current players.

What is going on right now is basically unrestricted free agency every year for every player. That is unsustainable and leads to the chaos we are seeing play out with thousands of players in the transfer portal every season.

At some point it will all get regulated in some way but that time is probably still a few seasons away so in the meantime we will have to deal with the mess that is college football and basketball with the ridiculous player movement and pay for play deals.

Why contracts are you talking about?

Pro leagues have structure, contracts, rules.....what is going on right now is some f'ed up kind of fantasy sports where you have to go battle all the other managers for new players while making sure no other manager comes in and poaches your current players.

What is going on right now is basically unrestricted free agency every year for every player. That is unsustainable and leads to the chaos we are seeing play out with thousands of players in the transfer portal every season.

At some point it will all get regulated in some way but that time is probably still a few seasons away so in the meantime we will have to deal with the mess that is college football and basketball with the ridiculous player movement and pay for play deals.
I agree, but why keep your organization in a past model when you know the model is a pro model? The U needs to be innovative and create GMs whose responsibility is finding, purchasing, and setting up the roster while the coaches coach.
What's going on now is the U being reactionary and not proactive.

I agree, but why keep your organization in a past model when you know the model is a pro model? The U needs to be innovative and create GMs whose responsibility is finding, purchasing, and setting up the roster while the coaches coach.
Evergreen post ^^

Evergreen post ^^
He has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. There are no contracts between the school and the players to negotiate. It's why these programs don't already have a GM.

He has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. There are no contracts between the school and the players to negotiate. It's why these programs don't already have a GM.
Oh I agree with that. There is a great misconception that the schools pays the money and signs contracts. That's not true. There is also a huge misconception that the school can't do anything about NIL. That is where the U got behind and stayed behind. The fact is- they don't give a rip about winning in basketball unless they happen to luck into it.

Oh I agree with that. There is a great misconception that the schools pays the money and signs contracts. That's not true. There is also a huge misconception that the school can't do anything about NIL. That is where the U got behind and stayed behind. The fact is- they don't give a rip about winning in basketball unless they happen to luck into it.
100%. I agree. The school can definitely be proactive about NIL it's just not through hiring a GM to "negotiate the contracts". Maybe we should see if we can swing a couple trades too.

Don't disagree that you have to change with the times in order to try and keep up. But what is going on is not a pro model and there is also not a cut and dried way of attacking it.

In the U's defense I think a lot of schools are in a similar boat where they can't/won't go all in with the pay for play craziness.

In the U's defense I think a lot of schools are in a similar boat where they can't/won't go all in with the pay for play craziness.
They sure take the TV money, the ticket money and then there is the $14 hot dog and soft drink bargain they give you. Oh they are all in- on taking the money. They just aren't in on investing in the product being good. They take the customer for granted.

It's coming.
This whole middle management where kids are paid by some shady dealer and then go to play at a school is a worthless model to the schools. They will need to tell the NCAA that it's either going to set the standard or the schools will do it without them. The game of peek-a-boo is over. Kids want to play big boy money then they need to know that the company negotiated, not some nebulous third party being run out of Kiev.

Top Bottom